1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickled egg recipe wanted

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by BeerKing, Aug 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

looking for recipes

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

So you're going to gas your wife LOL

I don't know how to make them but my wife sure makes some mean ones, I'll check with her and put it up if I remember

3. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

do that

4. d endicott

d endicott Member

look it up on line...google it

5. jlesley67

jlesley67 TS Member

I make pickeled eggs and beets, guess you could just leave out beets if you wanted to but here's mine....2 cans beets and all the juice, 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup sugar, salt and pepper. Stir and then add 6-8 hard boiled eggs. Fill the jar to the top with some water. I let them set in refrigerator overnight and check them in the morning, sometimes I need to tweak with more vinegar or sugar.

6. trench12

trench12 TS Member

If I find out that you are feeding them things to Strauss I will sue for environmental damages!!!!!!!!!!

7. emmylou1

emmylou1 Active Member

type in allreceipes. com then search p. eggs many, many to choose from !!!

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I sure hope he lives downwind of me

9. Alpharem

Alpharem TS Member

Just put a couple hardboiled eggs in the dill juice after you have used the pickles up from the jar. John

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    john, I do that with sweet or dill pickle juice with finely chopped onions to make onion relish. Takes about three or four days before use, and it needs to be used within a couple of weeks or it goes bland - the onions lose their "bite".

11. Mapper

Mapper Member

I enjoy pickled eggs, both beet pickled and hot pepper pickled. My son undertook research on the subject and concluded that the most important thing is to be sure to use hot(below boiling) pickling juice. As stated above, a little Googling will yield many recipes. Eggs in first, then the hot juice. Put on the lid and let them work for a week or two.

12. Rem29

Rem29 Member

Buy a gallon jar of dill pickles and eat them saving the juice. I figure this shouldn't be a problem for those who eat pickled eggs. Throw in a large cut up onion, a whole head of garlic peeled and chopped very coarse, add a cup of vinegar then enough peeled hard boiled eggs to fill jar. Put in fridge and forget about them for at least a week. They keep for weeks in fridge but you'll eat 'em by then. (You can add a few jalapenos too or a teaspoon of red pepper flakes for an added edge)

Best way to hard boil eggs. Put eggs in pan, cover with cold water, put on stove bring to boil, boil 2 min, cover pan tightly and leave it set for 15 minutes. Cool under cold water, perfect eggs every time.

Growing up, Mom used to use 1 cup white vinegar, 1/2 cup water, onions and garlic and eggs to each quart jar but she would add different food coloring to each to make a "Redneck Easter Basket" for the Easter dinner table. Glad I payed attention as Mom never gave these recipes to my wife. All us boys were sent outside after dinner.

13. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Drive to Michigan and buy a big jar of Koegels pickled bologna or pickled red hots if you like it spicy. Eat all of the bologna. This should be easy, just have a poker game with six or seven of your buddies. that's the way it works at my house, anyway. Save the juice and fill the jar with boiled eggs. Ready in about a week. Bill

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Pickled eggs? Really?

When I was 12 years old I could skin a muskrat or gut a squirrel without batting an eye. But I never - and I mean NEVER - had the guts to go near that jar of purple horror my mom kept in the fridge. Hell, that stuff was scarier than the sardines.

-Gary

15. Rem29

Rem29 Member

Mmmmmmmm - Sardines......

How about "Blind Robins" dried herrings....like fish jerky. End up with breath that could knock a buzzard off a manure wagon at 100 yards.

16. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

I make them all the time. Simply use vinegar and Habenaro peppers. Yeah they are "hot" but they go really well with cold beer. After they are in there for about a week, they are ready. Did I mention they go well with beer?

17. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

Trench I am making them to go to the Grand and get Strauss gassy

18. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

shouldnt you top up the jar with vinegar instead of using a pre-measured amount?

19. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

For a brine I mix 2 parts water with 1 part apple cider vinegar. Add in whatever spices you like. I add some pickling spice, some dill seed and black pepper. Boil this for 5 minutes.
    Pack eggs in your jar and add some jalapeno peppers and a smashed garlic or two in with the eggs. Pour hot brine until jar is full.

You should leave in icebox for a couple of days, but a week is best.

Eat with egg in one hand and a bottle of tabasco sauce in the other.

And yes, they go very nicely with cold beer.

20. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.