1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Picking up hulls

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BAP, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BAP

BAP TS Member

A friend and I were discussing the best way to pick up old hulls on a trap field. We have a "have a ball" but not happy with the results. Currently we use a leaf rake and get them into piles and then shovel them up and put in boxes. We have used small magnets but that is rather slow. He had an idea to build a push cart or wagon with a 12 volt electro magnet to pick the hulls up and then roll over to another area and turn it off and it would drop the hull (I realze that the good shells are more brass than steel and wouldn't pick up as well). Has anyone else tried this our know if a 12 volt magnet would be strong enough? Another possibilty would be a 110 volt generator in the rear of a golf cart and use ac current on the magnet. We have tried roofing magnets and they aren't strong enough. If we got the magnet too strong it might pull everyones guns off the gun rack and pull peoples heads off their stock if the have a steel plate in their head. Any thoughts or idea's. With the influx of cheap shells, hulls on the ground have become a problem when it comes to being too fat to bend over to pick them up. Bill Parson Jr.

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Have you ever thought about one of the push or pull type leaf brusher rake things where you just pull or push it along and it sweeps up about a 3 or 4 foot path of stuff off the ground?

3. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

lumper is right. plus on big trash day around here you can find em for free.

Tom R.

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

Tommy ... be quite, be very very quite and never let anyone know that I am even remotely write about anything at all or it will spoil my reputation.

5. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Get a yard vac. If it picks up anything in the yard it will pick up hulls.

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

Mr Finger ... the bait is in the water and I am really getting tired of throwing you back.

Jerry ... even the worst of us make mistakes sometimes. ;-)

7. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Tell all the litterers to clean up after themselves!! GAME ON!!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

8. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

lumper,sorry!

Tommy.

9. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Get a couple of the walk-behind golf ball picker-uppers that driving ranges use. Have lot of rubber fingers on a big roller...the hulls get wedged into these and deposited 1n a basket.

I don't know where you're located but I know this club in SC Penna. uses these things. You might be able to get some info by calling them:
    <center>Glen Rock Shooting Club<br>22 Winchester Rd<br>Shrewsbury, PA 17361
    Phone: 717-227-1351</center>
    Mike

10. gasman03

gasman03 Member

Go to google and type in "Ammo Up" and you will find a few different ideas. I saw ont of the push ones and they were pretty cool.

Corey

11. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Lots of clubs are glad to pick up the hulls, and sell them to shooters!

12. Mac V

Mac V Guest

THAT'S what the club I posted above uses. The grounds crew can pick up hulls as fast as they can run with those things. Here's the link: "Ammo Up".

Mike

13. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Lots of clubs have signs that say "/Any hulls that hit the ground belong to the club!" You don't put them in your pocket or bag and they are sold by the target box full at a reasonable price.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bill- We have a device that will take care of picking up the hulls. It is called "Art Bodell". This apparatus will not only pick up empties, it will mow the grass a day prior to the shoot, load targets in the houses, serve as a scorer all day long, keep the traps full during the shoot and pick up a gun and shoot a winning score. Every club needs to get an Art Bodell.

Pat Ireland

15. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Trouble is there usually is only one "Art" at most clubs. I'm tired of being "Art". FD

16. yuccaknob

yuccaknob TS Member

IF YOUR TERRAIN IS ROUGH OR BRUSHY LIKE OURS, FIND A LARGE EARTH MAGNET AND ATTACH IT TO A 4' PIECE OF PVC. THEY ARE STONG ENOUGH TO PICK UP AA'S AND OTHER BRASS BASE SHELLS. THE PRIMER IN THEM HAS STEEL AND CAN BE PICKED UP WITH
    A GOOD EARTH MAGNET. DON

17. willing

willing Member

Lumper- You are the proof that your parents made a mistake. No I'm not calling THEM the worst.

Bill

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

FD- I understand your point. Thank you for supporting our sport.

Pat Ireland

19. debateableone

debateableone TS Member

Why can't you pleasantly ask for them to put their empties in a shell pouch and empty them in the trash when they have finished. We would appreciate there assistance and also try to keep labor costs down for the sport.
    A few empty shell bags around would be cheap if they don't have one.

20. woodhack67

woodhack67 TS Member

As a young lad many years ago. I spent my Sundays setting and pulling trap for the local gun clubs. It was our jobs as the sun set and the doubles guys was wrapping up to police the fields of hulls. We sorted them on a table at the rear of the club house. Some of the guys would buy them from us. The club let us split up the proceeds. We put the hulls into empty drums honor system was in place from there. It took us about 30 to 45 minutes for the puller and the setter to police along with the guys that would "help us". It seems in the new era of the "you owe me generation" no one wants to put the extra effort forward. That would be a totally different thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.