1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Picking a Shotgun for Upland Hunting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Oct 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I am looking at new shotguns for upland hunting (quail and pheasant) and occasional duck hunting. What have you guys found that you like? I have been looking at Benelli's, due to the fact that I have had good luck with them in the past and I like the features. With the Benelli's, you can get several different combs and shims to fit. Any input is appreciated!

Matt Woodson

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Benelli has an ultra lightweight that I like a lot due it's low weight! I think it's about 5-1/2 or 3/4 pounds? It would be an easy to carry all day shotgun! Hap

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I use an 1187 premier for grouse,crow,ducks,pheasants,etc. I have never had any performance issues and that thing has the touch of death. I would never consider selling it because I seem to hit everything with that gun. All you have to do is clean it and your good to go. Spending two grand on a field gun just doesn't make sense to me.

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Franchi makes some real light guns too. I think they own/owned by benelli.

5. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

RemStar311,

Yes, I have looked at the Franchi's also. What I like about the Benelli is the shims to adjust cast and they offer various heights of combs. I am a hard person to fit. I have a neck like a giraffe! LOL!

Matt Woodson

6. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Matt

Its really hard to get all snuggled into a field gun when the bird is flushed and flying furious. Fit is a plus but fine tuned is not necessary in my experience.

Good Luck either way

Nick

7. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

RemStar311,

Yes, I know what you are saying. But when I throw a hunting gun to my shoulder, all I see is the back of the receiver.

Matt

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Matt, I have been hunting with a Montefeltro 20 ga for years. It is an awesome bird gun and you can carry it all day ( and it is under $1000) go for it. ( my wife also carries one)

9. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

cubancigar2000,

Yes, I have been looking at that one. I think that would be a dandy gun for quail. Here in Kentucky, we don't have near the amount of wild quail as we used to, but we have new hunting preserves opening.

Matt

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Matt,

If the fit is going to be a bit of a problem, I'd find a 1100 or 391. Lots of wood/fit items available and both have a great history of being dependable.

ss

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Benelli M-1 or M-2. Lighter than most, but tolerable recoil especially with the "chevron" inlet plastic stock, reliable in the coldest weather, easy to clean, adjustable stock. Boom,boom,boom.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Matt- Purdey makes just what you are looking for. How have your sales been this year?

Pat Ireland

13. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

For me, Benelli M2 20 gauge is where it's at.

Comes up so nice and easy.

14. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

I've hunted with Remington 1100,20gaLT w/rc for yrs and as far as I'm concerned you can't have a better field gun than one of them. I put the synthetic stocks on it to save my wood and off I go.lol

Lee

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

My favorite is a 16ga Citori Lightning (particularly the ones from the original batch made in the late 80s).

-Gary

16. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Some of the older guns make great upland guns also. Browning A5 16 or 20 ga, Browning Twelvette and Winchester Model 59 to name a few.

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I use the Win mod 59 with screw-in choke tubes for all my bird hunting! Light and fast, easy to carry all day in mountainous country!
    [​IMG]

I think the Benelli Ultra light weight may be very close in weight with it's carbon fiber rib. Hap

18. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Pat,

Sales have been good! Praise God! But sales haven't been good enough to afford a fine side by side! LOL! I had a very good Grand considering there wasn't a great deal of foot traffic. The Missouri Fall last week wasn't great, but I feel the weather contributed to that. I am still leaning towards a Benelli. I have a 870 around not doing anything, and I have been considering putting a Jack West stock on it.

Matt

19. shrek

shrek Active Member

I use mostly either 870's or a Winchester 1200. I don't know if anything could be more trouble free and blue collar reliable than a pump.

20. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

I use a Benelli Ultra Light and love It. I too have a long neck and the shims do help. It weighs 6 lb. with the 24" barrel. The twenty ga. is lighter still.

If you really need the higher comb, look at a Cordoba or Super Sport. More $, more weight, but the higher combs are available.

Benellis are easier to clean than any gas operated auto and do not malfunction IF you make sure the bolt isn't snagged out of battery. That is called the "Benelli Click".

Check out SGW forums re: the BUL.

Good luck in your search and with your choice.

HBT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

benelli ultra light bul