1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Picking a "fine" trap gun?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Questor, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Questor

Questor TS Member

Picking a

I got the trap bug and probably will want to upgrade to what is considered a "fine" gun, like a Perazzi or a Ljutic, or some similar gun.

Since there are so few of these commonly available for handling, what's a good way to shop for guns like this? I don't want to buy one unless I like the way it feels.

Also, how much can I expect to pay for something decent but not extravagant? I see Ljutics available for the $2500 to $3000 range used. I don't think I'd want to spend more than about $4500.

Thanks for any tips you can give.

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Picking a

All you need to know is PERAZZI !

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Picking a

Buy more than you can afford. It will pay off in the long run, trust me on this....

By this I mean, If you want a Perazzi, get a Perazzi. Don't by a bt-99, trade it for a rem 3200, then an XT, maybe a ljutic, decide you want to shoot doubles, then get the Perazzi. You've spent $$$$$$ and you could have spent $$$$ less if you had gotten more in the beginning...

Been there, done that....

Anybody got a good coach available cheap?

FOOTBALL knowledge preferred

Jim C
    Michigan

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

Picking a

What you consider to be a "fine" gun could be far different than what somebody else considers a "fine" gun.

What do you currently shoot and what is wrong with what you currently shoot. You might already have a "fine" gun and a new gun does not make your scores any better ... well unless your current "fine" gun is a total piece of crap than a new gun would most assuredly help to improve your scores but past the point of a basic 870 it is usually not the gun but the shooter who is responsible for better or worse scores ... just remember that when your spending $$$$ on a "fine" gun.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Picking a

Buy a PERAZZI, and a box full of parts. Buy a Ljutic and everything lasts a lifetime.

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Picking a

Questor: If I were in the market to purchase a high quality trap gun; I think I would choose a used gun. Why? More gun for the money; as new guns depreciate. I would travel to a place such as the Indiana Gun Club. A place such as this not only has a "ton" of guns in stock; they also have the facilities to allow you to shoot them before you buy. Take your time and look around to find that "right one". Then when you find the one that feels comfortable; purchase it. This will give you some added confidence, which is very important. Every Perazzi does not feel or shoot the same for any one of us. I am sure you can find a good used Perazzi, Kreighoff, Ljutic, Beretta, etc. that would fit into your budget. Just my $.02 worth. Ed

7. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

Picking a

I went from a Perazzi TM1 to a Kolar T/S. My only regret was not doing it sooner. Enjoy shooting the Kolar and am starting to shoot better scores.

8. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Picking a

I went from a BT-99 to a Perazzi about 30 years ago and still shoot the same gun. I've had considerably less repairs than many friends with Krieghoffs and other high end guns, and the gun still shoots better than me.

Ed Yanchok

ps I changed from the BT because of very poor service from Browning.

I've heard, from a lot of friends, that Ljutic, Seitz, and Kohler, give excellent service.

9. wineguy

wineguy TS Member

Picking a

When it comes to trap guns, pride of ownership often contributes to confidence and success on the field.Buy what makes you feel good!

10. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Picking a

Questor,

When this topic comes up, you will get a ton of advice and viewpoints.

Some advice I agree with, shoot before you buy, buy solid gun you will be happy with.

One thing you might think about, go to a large shoot and look at many guns on display for sale. When I say large shoot, perhaps a satellite grand or a state shoot or a large dealer like is mentioned above.

Good luck in your search.

Don Rackley

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

Picking a

Mike ... where is the closet club to the city of Nawleens itself? Is there still that one over across the river from the city?

12. james huffington

james huffington TS Member

Picking a

I believe this one statement holds true ! " It"s not WHAT you shoot, It's WHERE you shoot".

13. Questor

Questor TS Member

Picking a

My first order of business on starting trap was to find a coach and stock fitter, so I'm on the right track. All I'm really asking for here is where to shop.

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

Picking a

Ask your coach and stock fitter on where you should shop ... if you trust them enough to teach you and to fit you for a stock than they would have been the first people I would have asked or did you ... where did they recommend you shop?

15. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Picking a

You might want to try my website. I have 10% off until Christmas on all guns.
    Don

16. spritc

spritc Active Member

Picking a

Try the above link to see the inventory at Indiana Gun Club. If you are in the area they will let you shoot any used gun. Great people, great inventory and as always their prices are fair and they do accept trades.

Steve

17. lumper

lumper TS Member

Picking a

Mike ... this is quoted from his earlier post ...

"My first order of business on starting trap was to find a coach and stock fitter, so I'm on the right track. All I'm really asking for here is where to shop."

Sounds like he already has or had a coach and either had or has a stock fitter.

18. Questor

Questor TS Member

Picking a

Thanks for the advice on the Indiana Gun Club. I think it may be worth a road trip there after I've figured out what attributes I like in a trap gun.

I really appreciate your help in this question, and all the others I've asked during the past month or so.

19. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Picking a

One added thought. As stated by several respondents on this thread; the Indiana Gun Club is a good place to start. This due to their inventory and the benefit of being able to shoot the gun you may be interested in. I have purchased several guns from Steve and can tell you he is honest and will quote you a fair price on anything you may be interested in. Ed

20. josh b

josh b TS Member

Picking a

try www.jaquasfineguns.com lots to choose from good place to look and get ideas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.