1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Picked Up First Model 12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JohnR, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

I've only been shooting Trap for 4 years or so and I can't get enough,shoot about 10 to 15 rounds a week. One of the things I like to do is pick up Trap guns to shoot that I have never had, preferably a classic. Been looking for a Model 12 Trap and have missed a few nice ones on this site. This week the stars aligned and was able to trade for a nice Simmons build up.

It's a 1927, 30" nickel steel that has had the full Simmons treatment, duckbill rib, new wood,reblue,looks to be very good quality work. Gun is very tight,does not appear to have been used much after build. Never having owned one before am surprised at the weight and quality feel of the gun,has a good solid feel to it.

Hope to get it out this afternoon and see how it does if the rain here in MD holds off. Took a couple pics, not the best having to use flash even outdoors due to weather.

JohnR

johnr_2008_300844.jpg

johnr_2008_300845.jpg

johnr_2008_300846.jpg

2. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

AZZZ-KICKER!

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Looks like ya got a nice one.

4. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

good luck with it

5. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

What a beautiful Model 12. Hit 'em hard with it !

6. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Those look like maryjowanna plants.

Nice gun.

7. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

JohnR, You will be very happy with your new choice. In the photo, the stock looks long. Get the gun to fit you and start winning!!! Upkeep on model 12s is almost ZERO. Larry Evans

8. twotimer

twotimer Member

RickN, good observation. Probably not the thread to say "Smoke em" Mike

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Looks like a Japanese Maple to me. Not that i know what wee...... i mean marijuana looks like. Wink

10. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Actually it's not pot it's an Acer Palmatum Discetum "Maku Jaku", Cut Leaf Japanese maple, or so my wife says. Here's a pic of it in the fall.

Got the gun out tonight and it functions and shoots great! Dropped 3 birds first post and then ran em once I figured it out,actually shoots a little high, second round ran em until I dropped the 25th bird, man I hate that. Smoked a fair amount of them. Gun is comfortable to shoot, recoil not bad at all.

Thanks for the feedback, does look like I did get a good one.

Thanks,JohnR

[​IMG]

11. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

The cat picture just killed this thread for me.

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Nice cat. John R is lucky to have such a nice animal

13. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

John, R.I.P. You now have trap gun disease. An Lord knows that's the end of ya. Bill

14. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Jack, Thanks,Harley is a fine cat, he acts like a dog only cleaner,waits for us to get home at the top of the driveway and I no longer have any problem with mice, moles or voles.

Bill, I have seen some of the classic beauty's you have posted, I've had classic gun disease most of my life, only own a half dozen guns made after 1955, much prefer steel and wood. Collection has been shifting to shotguns the last 4 or so years, unfortunately my budget allows mainly the field grade end of shotgun collecting. However I did luck into a pair of A.H. Fox's last year, an AE and a XE, was able to pick them up low enough to allow me to get the XE restored to it's original glory, hopefully have it back late this year.

I would like to find a nice Ithaca 4E or 5E Trap eventually, usually if I wait long enough I stumble across one I can afford.

John

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You will find over the course of time that there is no such thing as a bad Model 12, only some better than others ... I shot them for many years, not sure why I ever changed over to the Perazzi's but I still have my fair share of them Model 12's in the safe ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.