1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Picked my first tomato

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Picked my first tomato out of the garden this year today(6/17). It was worth the wait. Gotta savor the taste though, it looks like it will be another 2 or 3 weeks before I'll have another ripe enough to eat.

Picked a head of cabbage yesterday and made cole slaw. Also I've been able to pick enough blackberries to put on top of the morning's cereal.

I guess I'm getting old, but about the only thing I give a dam about anymore is my garden. 20 years ago if you told me I would become a gardener, I would of said your nuts.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Not to play one up on you but i ate 3 cherry tomato's off mine last week. Oh boy were they good. Nothing beats freshly picked tomatoes. I have literally tons of green ones but none seem to be changing now. I think my plants were just teasing me.

3. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

A new "Tomato" moved in next door. How long do I have to wait?

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

A new "Tomato" moved in next door. How long do I have to wait?

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

My cherry tomatoes haven't even started to bloom yet, so yeah you're up on me. I'm jealous.

It's been a bad year for the garden, up to now anyway. The green beans have came up real spotty and I've replanted them 3 times. Ditto for the sweet corn. It has been a real wet spring. Weeds are growing like crazy though. Everything else has been a struggle.

Kinda frustrating TRYING to grow sweet corn when the land down the street yields the farmer over 150 bushels per acre, and I have trouble just getting it to come up.

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

We've had maters for quite some time now, but we get to plant them in March

But 104 degree weather isn't helping them any

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Matt,

Pick some green tomatoes and beer batter them and dunk them in the deep fryer, you'll thank me when your done ... "Fried Green Tomatoes" ... ummmm, ummmm, good ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Bill--You must not realize i'm originally from Savannah, Ga. If you think i don't know what fried green tomatoes, Polk salid and collard greens are you are sadly mistaken. Heck i don't mind some cheese grits once in awhile myself.

Bisi--That farmer down the road from you has a tad more knowledge as well as money invetsed in his growing operation i promise you. If you spent as much as he did, i'd bet your Sweet Corn would look equally as good. Funny thing is, my family farms over 2,500 acres of our own ground and over 500 acres of lease ground. You would think since i help with the planting and harvesting of all those crops, i'd have a killer garden. The fact is i can't grow veggies worth a crap. Thank goodness we are not trying to live off my growing abilities. LOL

I'm just a farm peeon.

9. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Green Maters are also good on a grille my wife brushes them with olive oil when she turns them actually I like them better that fried, I built a custom grille for the gas grill, it's 14 ga bright, and I took the plasma table and cut 1/8 slots every half inch, works great

Well actually it's about a tie, but I like my fried greenies in bacon fat, so the grilled is lower in cholestrol

10. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

8 foot tall tomato plant and still growing. If this was weed i could buy me a new gun. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.