1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Picked first tomato, tonight!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bisi, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Well I picked my first tomato of the season today. In fact I picked 3 of em! Got some gratification for the work of planting and weeding them, and it is well worth it.

I bitch about the heat and humidity and tornados of the Midwest and often wonder why I don’t move back out West. Besides family here I think it is my garden which keeps me here. I can grow a lot of good stuff here.

I’ve got blackberries, green beans, squash, sweet peppers, hot peppers, new red potatoes, all ripe, and now I can add tomatoes. Sweet corn is tasselling, regular potatoes can be dug in 2 or 3 weeks, egg plants are looking good. Life is good!!

Obama will probably want to tax my garden next year, but everything is peachy now. Got 3 peach trees and they are loaded also.

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

What?????????------ No watermelons???? Sounds like you are enjoying the fruits of your labor. I love the fresh vegetables from the garden. Just got thru with 3 fresh 'maters.

3. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Well you lucky dog. My wife and I have put in two gardens this year (I haven't gardened in over 30 yrs).

We had three tomatoes on one plant getting to nice size, BUT, last week we had a hell of a hail, and it turned them into green paste!!, not to mention it did raise hell with all of the other plants also.

Doug

4. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

We had fried green termaters last week; and I had a fresh tomato sandwich with mayonaise for lunch this afternoon. Mine are coming on good. Beefsteaks and Better Boys. There are still a few good things left about living in California.

5. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Bisi, just exactly where is this garden,,,,and do you have a guard dog,,,haha,,

6. Redman Bullets

Redman Bullets TS Member

Pick our first tomato too today. Lots of peppers and zuchs. Nothing better than a fried zuch and fresh tomato and onion sandwich. Yummy.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

did you check for e-coli

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I and my wife have grown many species of hot peppers for years. One thing most everyone does wrong is TOO MUCH WATER. water them only after they begin to look like they are wilting from lack of it. They need a lot of sun and very little water

9. DJM

DJM Member

Here in the north country my tomatoes are green and the biggest the size of a quarter. When is summer coming? Where is that global warming I hear about? And today I found about a dozen sweet corn stalks eaten off by a deer. She had better not show her face in daylight or it could be fresh venison chops for dinner. Don

10. tachyon

tachyon Member

Hail took out all the blueberries Friday night. Guess I won't have to worry about the birds eating half of them. Hail and 90 mph winds through Omaha left the city without power, some of us for 3 days. Lots of trees down... plenty of wood for the fireplace for the next couple of winters.

The tomatoes survived, the peppers are coming back, the eggplant did not survive. Onions, carrots and potatoes did ok. This is the best time of year, fresh tomatoes, peppers, squash, onions, carrots, lettuce baby potatoes and the occasional radish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.