1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PICK UP YOUR HULLS?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by saltman, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saltman

saltman TS Member

AS A CLUB OWNER OR CLUB MEMBER WHO DONATES ALOT OF THEIR TIME TO YOUR CLUB,
    WHAT IS YOUR POLICY ON MEMBERS WHO PURPOSELY (BREAKING GUNS) PITCH THEIR HULLS ON GRASS IN FRONT OF AND BEHIND THE FAN AND LEAVE THEM FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO PICK-UP?
    WE NEED TO IMPLEMENT POLICY AT OUR CLUB SO SOME OF US WHO POLITELY ASK THAT PEOPLE
    CLEAN UP AFTER THEMSELVES AND OTHER MEMBERS WHO SAY "THIS IS HOW IT IS AT ALL CLUBS"
    THANKS FOR THE INPUT, SALTMAN OUT

2. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

At all the clubs I shoot at or belong to there are buckets or boxes placed next to the speakers for shooters to toss there hulls into. Most shooters are courtious enough to use the bucket but there is the occassional hull that misses the bucket. Id get some buckets and post signs that say "please pick up your hulls and trash". Tossing hulls on the ground could be called littering if you want to get technical. BYG

3. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

Think about putting some type of foam material in the bottom of the buckets to deaden the noise when the hulls are tossed into them. It makes a loud, distracting sound when the hulls hit the bottom of the bucket without the padding.

4. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

This again so soon?

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Charge the shooter's an extra dollar per round that toss their hulls on the ground....

Curt

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

If it's a shoot, not something you can enforce.

But practice, you need to drop the hammer...

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We have some magnet on a stick things and also some pick up devices at each gun rack.

We also berate shooters who leave hulls on the ground.

Our club is always nice looking.

HM

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Curt has the answer that will most likely have the best results. Hit them in the wallet. Confront the guilty parties and make it known they are being watched because of their blatant disregard of the rules. Make sure there are signs clearly staring the rules of picking up your own trash. So many warnings and it's vacation time.

9. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

As a shooter I detest boxes in front of the mic stands. I would rather save my emptys for reloading in my bag. Likewise if I'm going to pitch them I place them in my bag and dump them in the barrel when I'm done.

Shooters think it looks cool to eject their shells but from my stand point as a gun club operator there's nothing cool about dumping shells on the ground.

Charging shooters extra money for a round for throwing their shells on the ground would probably just run shooters off.

Michael Stephenson

10. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

A member at our club purchased small signs for each trap field that says, "Pick up your empty hulls". I can't remember the last time I saw an empty hull on the ground.

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Curt's suggestion would be most effective. Back in the late 1970s and early 1980s, I worked at a Cadillac-Oldsmobile dealership and we had to continually add loaner cars to our fleet until it was 24 cars strong. When the early-80s auto "recession" hit, the dealership owner suggested we start charging $10 per day for them and ask the customers to replace the fuel they used.

Suddenly, 12 cars were too many! Our supposedly high-rolling clientèle was too cheap to spring for a total of maybe fifteen bucks for a new Olds or Caddy. Suddenly, they were able to find a ride or lower themselves to riding in our shuttle van.

An extra buck to a trapshooter would have the same effect and would be fun to watch. But signs have worked at our local clubs, too.

Ed

12. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

PERSONALLY... I help at my local club.. I help pick up the hulls thrown on the ground and smile the whole time.

WHY.. because it means we're throwing bird!!

YES, my local club has buckets at each post. YES, it's nice when the guys put their empties in the bucket. BUT.. NO WAY ON GOD's GREEN EARTH will I ever suggest or vote to charge anyone who drops their hulls on the ground.

Jerry B.

PS. Lord knows I need to walk and bend over more.. someone makes me eat ice cream way to often. (thanks Liz.. LOL)

13. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

A similar thread a few weeks ago got a lot of traction, but no resolution. There is a faction of trap shooters that seem to think that it their right to throw their hulls on the ground for someone else to pick up. You must decide if you want them to shoot at your club bad enough to put up with their behavior. Signs, trash cans, and encouragement, probably will work with the majority of shooters. Good luck and thanks for the volunteer work that you do. Also, typing in all CAPS means that you are shouting, but I am used to being around deaf trapshooters, so I understand. :) Mark

14. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

If you don't want your "good" empty hulls give them to a re-loader or if euro-trash at least dispose of them properly. My back is the same age as the rest of me 71 and it doesn't like bending over to pick up trash and litter that should NEVER have hit the ground in the 1st place. Ross Puls

15. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Nobody complained when everyone was dropping STS, AA, and GM on the ground :)

16. Baber

Baber TS Member

Get this... The skeet shooters at a local club find the buckets "distracting" and have asked that they be removed during competition. I suspect that the buckets interfere with their TuTu's

T

17. skeet_man

Buckets on the field during a skeet shoot could easily be distracting, esp to the referee unless your club happens to have wireless buttons. There are well defined referee positions in NSSA skeet, and because of this, dragging the wire across the field and trying to avoid those buckets would be difficult esp with the time we are allotted to shoot. Trying to whip the cord over and around the buckets isn't great for the cord or button either. And if the ref is having difficulty, you can bet its a distraction to the shooters.

18. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

We have a standing rule for shooters to pickup their own hulls for the past 5 years . We posted no signs but we tell them when the shoot here that it is our rule and so far it works with no complaints from anyone . One or 2 shooters drop their 5 shells on the ground next to them as a count but go back later to pick them up . We have a magnet on a pole also that helps those with back problems . Kids of shooters love to use this to pick up their fathers hulls for them if they do discard them from autos . Most shooters have a 2 section pouch for shells and empty hulls so why can`t some of you use them for that purpose . Yes we do find a few hulls tucked away in some thick grass but that is expected and we or others eventually find them before they get hit by the lawn mower . For you guys who think it`s your given right to leave your hulls for volunteers of the club to pick up for you , take a hike to another range. So far that hasn`t happened here but I would be the first person to speak up to you .

19. Baber

Baber TS Member

I have refereed on field with buckets and have not found it a problem. If the ref knew how to handle the cord there would be no problem. You comments are ....... well.....

show a lack of .....

I am trying not to be offensive. Its difficult.

T

20. skeet_man

T- NSSA site doesn't show you as a certified ref. When is the last time you were?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.