1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Phx Gun Club Decision.....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Flyfishing Dan, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flyfishing Dan

Flyfishing Dan Banned User Banned

Read it and weep. Hard to believe that shooters money will be distrubuted to a not shooting entity!

Shooters,

It is a sad day when you find out that all that is left of the Phoenix Trap and Skeet Club will be given to a charity that has nothing to do with trapshooting or any other shooting sport. In the attached "Notice Of Special Meeting" sent out to the members by Don Brown, President, it is proposed that all remaining funds be given to Hospice of the Valley. While Hospice of the Valley is a reputable and charitable organization, it is not appropriate that the funds be given to them particularly since the funds being given are funds generated by shooters who most likely have not used the services of Hospice of the Valley. While the fact that so little funds are left of the once largest trap and skeet shooting venue west of the Mississippi River ( less than $170,000.00) is a tragedy in itself, but to give away the remaining funds without doing anything for the shooters that put the funds there is a greater tragedy. This action is totally self serving for some Board members. It would be better if they donated their own money rather than donate money that does not belong to them and not in accordance with the wishes of the majority of the existing Phoenix Trap and Skeet Club members.

A proposal was made to this board by other members of the Phoenix Trap and Skeet Club wherein the funds could be given so that a clubhouse for all shooters could be started at Ben Avery. Ben Avery committed to complete the facility with their own funds. This clubhouse facility would remain as a remembrance of the Phoenix Trap and Skeet Club in perpetuity and be enjoyed by all those shooters, in state and out of state, forever.

Don't allow this tragedy to occur. Contact these Board and express you displeasure concerning their proposed self serving use of the remaining funds.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

At the special meeting have the membership vote on the proposal. HMB

3. BobHoukOregon

BobHoukOregon Member

Just plain sucks. It was a very nice club.

4. Flyfishing Dan

Flyfishing Dan Banned User Banned

Unfortunately, there were proxy cards sent out to the membership. From what I understand, there was an offer made to start building a much needed club house at Ben Avery, and when the clubs money ran out, the building would be completed by the State.

5. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

More than likely the distribution was dictated by laws governing non profit organizations.

6. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I actually find making a large donation to a hospice care organization very admirable. They do great work for people.

7. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Did legal fees take the bulk of the funds? That seems to happen when a club closes.

The Google map of the old club site looks like thousands of houses and many commercial properties are now on the club's old site.

Somebody made a bundle - even if the site had to be cleaned of lead.

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

When the club was closed and sold there were more than many out standing bills that accumulated over the years, besides the legal fees ... The taxes alone were over $40.000 per year ... There was a $50,000 line of credit that was paid off from one of the Spring Grands proceeds, after over $28,000 in interest was paid on it over time and nothing on the principle ... The board as it exists now are some of the Life members who are bound by the by laws as they were written in the articles of corporation unless they voted to change them at some time after the club was closed down ... There are homes as far as the eye can see and commercial property on the corner that has yet to be developed which consists of 23 acres on a main road (Indian School and El Mirage Rd) ... I have not been out there in quite awhile but there is no trace that a gun club ever existed there ... The club might be gone but will linger in many peoples minds for many years to come ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I shot the '83 Spring Grand there...unforgettable...

10. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Any pictures around of the club to be found?

FRedmon

11. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Roger, can't your bylaws Be changed?

jim brown

12. jim brown

Roger, so you could give the money back to a shooting related cause? That's where it came from.

jim brown

13. beaker100

beaker100 Member

i think the idea of a donation to a hospice is just fine. a lot of shooters will need that service in the future. as far as donationg the money to the state of arizona i'm not wild about that. jmho doug hubbart. flyfishing dan why not post your name. i think you entitled to your opinion. why not post your name with your opinion?

i spent many a happy hour at phoenix t&s. great memories to last a lifetime!

14. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Is the bunker at Ben Avery a 501C3,or was that just for the fund raising for the original construction. Hospice is my favorite charity,but it would be nice to see Ben Avery be able to use it. As Roger says those are the By-Laws. Had to be the early 80's when I went to a Spring Grand there and Amerigo made me feel so welcome. What a gentleman and fun guy. Great club in it's day.

15. white rattler

white rattler Member

Roger, I am glad that you, Frank, and Bill as well as a few others are finally putting the old Phoenix club to rest. I am sure that your group will put the little money that is left to a good cause. It is just another chapter of a dying sport. Your friend Trevor Dawe. P.S. I too have some very good times there.

16. jim brown

Roger, no I am not a member. I am just a shooter who put some of the money you are dispersing into the pot. At the time I thought it was going to a club which promoted shooting. Hope I was right.

jim brown

17. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Roger, wasn't the original intent to start a new club once the property was sold?

18. az outlaw

az outlaw Member

I am not a member nor have I ever been to Phoenix Trap and Skeet club, I believe Hospice of the Valley is a Great organization and if You have ever had to use their services You would know what I am talking about. Now with that being said, I believe what some of the poster's points are, that they were under the assumption that the donations they and others made would go towards a Charitable SHOOTING organization. There are several non-profit Shooting organizations around that could put the money to use. Like i stated earlier I am not, nor have I ever been a Member of PT&S club but it seems that those that are/were members want the donations to go to non-profit SHOOTING organizations. Just my observation from the postings regarding this matter. Good luck with Your endeavors I am sure that with Mr. Brown handling things, Whatever the decision is it WILL be in the best interest of the funds and the Organization.

Mark

19. jim brown

Roger, the Phoenix club existed for years on the money provided by snowbirds. Now you say we didn't put any of the money in the pot. I don't really care what you do but I will be think it might be fun to see how this works out for you.

jim brown

20. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Sad day when it closed. How they use the money now? Good cause is fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.