1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Photos,illustrations for Trap"stance" and "Hold on

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ihartm, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ihartm

ihartm TS Member

Looking for someone who has or knows of a web site where there are Photos,illustrations for Trap"stance" and "Hold on Trap House".,
    similiar to the ones posted on the Remingtons' web site.

2. zinger

zinger Member

Photos,illustrations for Trap

hold points will vary from instructor to instructor. Ask anyone who's taken clinics from all the big dogs and you'll see. Foot stance should pretty much be the same from all. Do you know of anyone you shoot with who's taken a clinic? They would be able to show you.

3. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I was just looking at the Tucson Trap and Skeet home page, When I found this link, from Remington.

AL

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Ihart. Here is a set-up I made to tell a LH shooter how Harlan Campbell instructs 2 eyed shooters. You have to move the # 3 position over to the right of center if you are right handed.

[​IMG]

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Click on my link above and download the PDF files on gun holds. These are some of the best you will find, if I say so myself. I did not do them, just edited them. They were done by well-know professional shooting instruction, Jim Forsbach of IN. That's all he does for a well-know entrepreneur in the UK.

The holds are a bit different that the above photo, and our holds pictures parallel those espoused by "Trapshooting with the Remington Pros" of long ago. I disagree with those shown above for ergonometric reasons.

Stance: For a RH shooter, a line drawn across your toes should always parallel the walkway of Post 5, and conversely so for a LH shooter. You can move some weather dependent; cross-winds, etc.

Whiz

6. zinger

zinger Member

Like I said, everyone's hold points are different as illustrated by the two references above. As for foot stance, I would not recommend that of the Remington site, but that's just my opinion. I think hold points should be near where the targets leave the house so you can follow the path of the target and not try to intersect a target in flight. Stance should always allow you to shoot your angle targets with ease. JMO

7. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

hold points are like opinions.......every one has one!!

tony

8. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

I took a Harlan Campbell clinic, this past Spring. His recommended hold points were, According to my notes for a right handed 2 eyed shooter. Post one 4 to 6 inches left and down from the true edge of the house,(not the roof overhang). Post 2. 1 barrel width to the right of the 1/4 width point of the house. Post 3. one barrel width left or right of center, Post 4. one barrel width to the right of 1/4 width point. Post 5. 4 to 6 inches right and below as on post one. Hold over will depend on light conditions,target height and will vary accordingly. At least that was what he taught in March. Foot placement is basically same as the Remington site recommenations.

J.Woolsey

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

The worst part about all this, is when you get done with the micrometer adjustable hold points, you've distracted yourself from the most important thing. Concentrating on seeing the bird...

Seek your own generalizations and spend your time concentrating 100 or 200 consecutive times.. see the bird...

When you gotten good at it, get back to me. Let me know how to do it...lol

10. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Good theories except in Oregon and Washington along with some other states some clubs have not built the trap houses to ATA specifications. There fore you have to learn to adjust your point of hold to the position of the trap machine in the house. This isn't always easy. Many instances the traps arn't properly or uniformly postitioned in the house or the walk ways don't align with the house. This causes the presentation of the bird to vary in relation to the structor, corners, roofline ect.. Often times several birds are missed prior to learning the correct hold for each house. One of our best shooters in the state of Oregon for the past 30 plus years, just holds in the middle of the house on singles and handicaps. This seems to work for him but he never shoots lead off. When it is his turn to shoot he has figured out where the bird appears in his kill zone so he is not surprised. If your a good enough shooter to not be intimedated by angles it is a great way to shoot. Post-2

11. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Big M if you do as Harlan suggests you will pick up the bird, identify the target path and get on it much quicker, for what it's worth it works for me. It could very well be that it wouldn't for you. Harlan dismantled me during his clinic. It has taken me from March till June to implement his teachings with a serious degree of regularity. My current scores reflect it big time. I just made up my mind that knowing Harlan Campbell shoots the way he does and was willing to educate me. Well I was going to be hard headed and do it his way. I'm still adjusting but it's becoming more natural each time I shoot. J.W.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The Remington suggestions were made when we shot a wider angled target too. Hap

13. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Good point Hap. Post-2

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

JW, I wouldn't think of challenging the instructors. Just pointing out, in print, it's easy to get too big a checklist, and lose concentration. Your instructors expect you to practice to perfection, then you don't worry about anything other than breaking the bird.

15. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Thanks to all the contributors to this thread. Very helpful. Darrell

16. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Woolsey,

Of course your scores go up, based on what you wrote you only shoot 20 targets so if you do decide to shoot post 4 you could pick up 5 extra targets.. just kidding, thanks for the info but what about Post 4?

Brownk80

17. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

BrownK80, thanks for calling it to my attention, I don't usually skip post 4.
    J.Woolsey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.