1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Photos from 30s-40s at the Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ken@clairton, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken@clairton

Ken@clairton TS Member

I have enjoyed reading the threads here for some time now and decided to make my first post. A member at my club gave me some photos his uncle had from the Grands he attened in the 1930s and 40s. Maybe you can recognize some of the names on the score boards. The photo of 4 men and a trophy is from the 1920s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Great stuff. Thanks.

Curt

3. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Interesting scores and yardages. 1945 Grand would have been about the time WWII ended so many would not have attended.

I was there in 1941, observing my dad and his friends and we returned in 1946. I never made the "Big Board". Those were great days.

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

i love threads like this, thank you for sharing.
    steve balistreri

5. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Really cool pictures! Thanks for sharing.

I noticed on the 1945 singles score board that a shooter named J.R. Jahn from Spirit Lake Ia has a "Pro" classification.....what's up with that?

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I noticed the "pro" designation too. Also noticed some sandbagging on the CLASS singles scores... 99's in both "B" and "C" class.

7. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I saw Mercer Tenille, Phil Miller, Herschel Cheek, Homer Clark, M.B. Orr, Joe Hiestand, all among the big boys. Orr was not a long yardage ATA shooter, but was quite a skeet competitor. I can't read the names on the first picture. Can you repost it to try to improve it? These are great pictures. Thanks.

8. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I wonder if Ed Schultz would feel comfortable shooting with these guys in the "proper" attire. Bulge.

9. eightbore

H.C. Jones and D. Lee Braun. Braun was in the military so he shot AA Class instead of Industry.

10. gary0920

gary0920 Member

Great photos - thanks

11. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. Really interesting...all very unique pics. The black boards are cool! Haven't been to the Grand for long time, doubt they do it any more, if not too bad. That all adds "color" to the sport, just like when the "pros" used to run the scoreboards. puablo

12. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Thanks for the post. I've always enjoyed old photos of the shooting and hunting sports. My existance wasn't even thought of back in those days. Thanks again.

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Whats it say in front of D. Lee Braun? Capt? Can't read it, I know he ended up a major when he was discharged from the army. Thanks Wayne

14. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

First picture is Hall of Fame inductee Julius Petty, of Arkansas and his brother Paul. Looks like they competed in the Brother & Brother event at the Grand. Julius was inducted in the 1970's . . . 76 I think. Great shooter. Killed in an automobile crash in 1956.

15. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Neat photo's Thanks

16. indycamster

indycamster Member

Great Thread! In one photo, the cars in the background are clearly early to mid 1950's, do you have any other photos from the late 50's to the early 80's?? Sure would like to see my old Daddy in one of those.
    Maybe this is a good place to ask: Any body have a photo of Marshall C. Mason, he shot in Central Indiana from the 50's to early 80's.
    Thanks, Clarence Mason

17. eightbore

I have some of Herman Ehler's NSSA average books. He was like me, a hoarder of competition shotgun paper. He highlighted his name in all the magazines and average books. Back in those days, pros shot both ATA and NSSA. Yes, Wayne, Braun's scoreboard entry lists him as a Captain and also Joe Hiestand also had a military rank on his scoreboard posting. By the way, Wayne, I was raised in Rockville also. Email me to tell me where and your full name. Bill Murphy

18. maka

maka Member

Talk about dressing for success. Just look at the fancy clothes and all those $10,000.00 shotguns. Great pictures thanks for sharing.

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

The "Pro" or Industry classification was available until around 1995. What a mess it was. That category costs many gun clubs many trophies.

Pat Ireland

20. ArkLaK80

ArkLaK80 Member

Having been just a reader of this site for many years, this thread was the one that made me register. KennyRay beat me to the answer of who where the men in the first photo. If you would allow, I would like to add a little more info on the subject.

The photo is of brothers Julius and Paul Petty of Arkansas at the 1946 Grand.
    This was the first of two Bro. & Bro. events they would win with the second one coming in 1950. Julius was inducted into the ATA HOF in 1975 (my first time to attend the Grand)along with the great Arnold Riegger, who, as I was told growing up, was most certainly a "Champ". Julius and his younest son, Joseph Forrest Petty, named after another "Great", Forrest McNair of Texas, were both killed in a car accident in Iowa three days before Christmas 1956.

I too have numerous black & white photos of several of the "Greats" from the early 40's through the 50's. Most come from my own collection and some given to me by Bob Andrews and Dick Baldwin. I will post some in the future for others to enjoy as soon as I can get some young person to show me how.

Ray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting pictures from 1920

forrest mcnair trapshooter