1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Photo Enforced Traffic Signal UPDATE

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bruce Specht, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Things have taken an interesting turn, after several correspondece with the Photo Enforcement group based in Chicago( Cook County) when the alleged violation occured in Villa Park, (Du Page County); I have a time to meet with the person that makes the decison on cases that are questioned. He / she has refused my request to disnmiss the violation twice in the mail. Now on the 16th of June we meet in person. Here is were it gets interesting on May 20th, on a national/ local news station they did a story on the photo enforcement of traffic signals. The report stated that in Dupage County it was determined that not only were there reliabilty issues with the program, but that the program did not affect or enhance safety to the public. And that the photo enforcement program is being discontinued in DuPage County. So to all those that posted,"just pay the ticket" does this chnage your mind?!

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Hope it works out for you, fight the assholes, all those cameras are there for is to increase revenue

I hate them, almost rear ended a few people at them, if the light changes to amber, they would lock up their brakes, and that has happened to a bunch of people

3. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Bruce -

Not me, at least not yet.

What you have is an appointment to meet in person with someone who has alerady told you twice that they are not dismissing the ticket. I'm also not sure how much weight a news story will carry either - I mean we are constantly mocking the news outlets about how misinformed and incorrect their reporting can be.

You say that photo enforcement is being discontinued in DuPage County, but I thought it was the municipalities that were installing the red-light cameras, not the county. Did you give a call to Villa Park to find out if they were dropping their red light camera enforcement?

I know in Naperville the city does red-light enforcement via an administrative hearing (rather than using DuPage County court). I believe some municipalities run the enforcement thru the County, but Naperville's website indicates that is more expensive so they do it in-house.

In case you haven't already checked, there is an FAQ about red-light enforcement on the Villa Park website.

Let us know how it goes.

Scott

4. Bruce Specht

Scott, just have more ammo for my meeting I will not pay this!

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

So it is the news stations that now determines what effect traffic control have on public safety? And you think this helps your case how??? Fight it man ....

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Well you either did it or you didnt

If you did- the consequences will be worse if you take it to court wont they?

If you just paid this infraction it doesnt even go on your driving record or your insurance record does it? Plus larger fine and court costs?

So you either did it or you didnt do it.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If they have you on the picture, and its your vehicle you are wasting your time ... If you go to court and lose they up the fine and it goes against your insurance and your points on your DL ... I have been told that the conviction rate is over 98%, so if your feeling lucky go for it ... keep us informed as to your progress ... Thx, WPT ... (YAC)

8. scott calhoun

The impact of this type of citation has been debated on here before. Some are worried about points on their license and impact to insurance rates. The info below is from the Villa Park website and explain in further detail. You'll note that it is classified as a civil violation and not criminal, and will not affect your insurance rates or driving privleges.

What is a Red Light Violation?

There are Two Types of Red Light Violations:

Right Turn on Red without coming to a complete stop.

You may be cited with a Red Light Violation if you fail to bring your vehicle to a complete stop before turning right when the light is red. Turning right on red, after bringing your vehicle to a complete stop, is only allowed at intersections that do not have signs prohibiting such turns. For exact wording, please check Illinois’ Rules of the Road, or visit the Secretary of State’s website, cyberdriveillinois.com.

Entering an intersection after the traffic signal has turned red.

Motorists already in the intersection when the signal changes to red, when waiting to turn for example, are not considered red light violators.

Will the red light cameras take a picture of the driver of the vehicle?

No. A violation of the Villa Park Ordinance is a civil violation assessed against the owner of the vehicle; it is not a criminal violation. Similar to a parking ticket, there is no need to identify the driver and therefore, no need to capture the image of the driver. This violation will not affect your driving privileges or insurance rates.

9. Bruce Specht

Wolfram, It was Dupage county that determined that the program was ineffective at reducing accidents ant that there are flaws in the systme. If waht I posted indicated that it was the New Station I stand corrected. As for not stopping at a red light, in Illinois it is a moving violation, and goes aginist one's driving record and can increase insurance premiums. Which is another bone of contention, the photo is of the rear of the vechile only, so beacuse I'm the owner of record the violation is issued to me regardless of who may have been driving at the time of the alleged violation. They have no picture of me or anyone else behind the wheel.

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Before I subscribed to Illinois' IPASS (auto toll electronic payment system) went into effect, my wife, when she was still able to work, used a particular exit ramp and auto toll collector for coins. Over one week, the system took her car's picture 5-times, which generated a citation for tolls ($2=$0.40 x 5) plus tickets ($100 = $20 x 5)...

No fighting through the mail... had a hearing and had to be Perry Mason. Even with 5 pictures showing my wife's car window down and one picture with her arm out... I still ended up getting only three dismissed and paid two (plus tolls)... and I was thrilled!

Now with the IPASS system, if they don't register a toll, at least I can call and they'll deduct the toll without surcharge from my IPASS account...

In Europe (and I've heard threatened in the US) they use remote cameras to clock speed and issue citations on high speed thoroughfares (sic?!)... oh yeah!

regards,

Jay

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The pictures I got in the mail were of me behind the wheel and the back of the vehicle showing my plate number ... They use an electric (Lazer) eye to trip or trigger the camera (front and rear) and will not only show you where you were in the intersection when it was tripped but they have a red line on the street that gives them the amount of time it was red before you tripped the trigger at that point as well as the speed you were traveling at ... I paid the fine because I have a very close friend that works for Red Flex and travels all over the country as a Professional Witness (Expert Witness) and testifys to the incidents in courts, times and amount of travel after the camera was triggered by your vehicle ... He advised that I pay the fine and forget about it ... I asked him for a way to beat it and he said pay it to keep it off of my records and insurance ... I called my Insurance Company for info on a red light violation and was told it could up my insurance anywhere from $100 to 400 per year, so I paid the fine and chalked it up as an experience ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. rd

rd TS Member

Are you calling the assumption that "brake lights get brighter the harder you brake" part of your "ammo"? If so, you should stay home.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Why do you even care what we think Bruce? Or for that matter what is the purpose of telling us all about your traffic ticket? Its not like we can help you avoid paying the ticket or give legal advice of any kind.

It is obvious that you have no intrest in dealing with this as the silly little nuisance that it is. Pay it , don't pay it, what ever, if this is worth getting spun up over - knock yourself out.

14. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

I for one will not do ANY TYPE of business in that town or village that has photo enforcement .I let it be known to that village board. I will not give them the time of day if they have it. They still have to pay rent on that equiptment. When they see that its not paying enough back to them, they'll pull them. Thats what I was told by a Town trustee.

15. scott calhoun

Bruce -

You should re-read my most recent post, or at the very least review the information on the Villa Park website and/or call Villa Park. It is not a moving violation and does not go against your driving record (as is the case with any of the municipalities that I am aware of that use red light cameras in this area).

Scott

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

What Bill said in his first post.

I drive for a living and have had more than my share of traffic tickets all ways you can get 'em. Cameras, lasers, airplanes etc. etc. Your piss'n on a flat rock friend. The ONLY way to beat it is a traffic lawyer and then its just a reduction to a non-moving violation but usually costs more than the original infraction plus the lawyers fees. Been there and done it more than once to keep my license. Prove me wrong and rub it in though. I've been wrong many many times before and will happily admit it here when you beat it.--Matt

17. coot sluicer

coot sluicer Member

Paint balls & a slingshot, keep slinging till you feel better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.