1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

phone service question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bluedevil, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Our land line phone charges are outrageous for a few phone calls a week, what do you guys/gals use? We have comcast, their internet is great and reasonable at $50 a month but the phone is $42 and we seldome use it.

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Have you ever looked at your phone bill and noticed all the taxes on it?

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I went to Vonage last year. $14.95 a month (includes taxes), calling to US and Canada.

Signed up via there website when they were doing some type of promotion. Kept my phone number.

Don't really need a landline but always had one. Have Vonage set to relay calls to my cell phone after five rings.

4. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Yep, charges for everything, companies, cities and states are flat out desperate for revenue. Maybe they should think of cutting the fat and prices and sell more services. Thought about Vonage, how is the call quality? Good idea about the reroute to cell phone, never thought of that.

5. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

majicjack is $20 per year for unlimited calling in the US.

6. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

What land line??

7. RFGA2

RFGA2 Member

I have had Vonage for three years in my office. I have calls forwarded to my cell if I want the calls bad enough. I call Europe and South American quite a bit for business and no extra charge. About $20.00 a month vs $350 month with ATT. Calls are crystal clear.

Bob Gibson
    Charlotte, NC

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

When I contacted Vonage they told me that Vonage runs through your computers high speed line. If your computer line dies for whatever reason you no longer have phone service. Majic Jack uses the same type of set up as Vonage. Not for me, I'll stick with the old reliable Ma Bell land line.

Eric

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Eric--Did you get your computer sound all straightened out?

10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

grntitan,

No not yet. Waiting for my computer friend to install new hard drive that I have sitting on my desk. I have other assorted comp issues but I can work around them. The audio problem is not a major deal but I would like to get it cleared up along with the other recent glitches. Fortunately there's nothing on my comp that can't be replaced with a few minutes work.

Eric

11. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

Got rid of the landline after dealing with endless telemarketer's calls. Verizon for us .

12. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Second for magic jack. One thing to be aware of is you need a decent broadband connection. I have the most basic (cheapest) broadband you can buy around here, as long I or anyone else isn't doing anything on the computer, its perfect, but if you try to do something on the internet connection while talking, the bandwidth gets eaten up and the phone call gets choppy. I imagine if you have a std level of broadband you'll be fine though, its only an issue if your cheap like me and get the lowest of the low for broadband speeds.

13. capvan

capvan Active Member

Something that people forget is that land line phones are a "utility" and highly regulated in terms of service. Repairs have to be done in a timely manner (supposedly) and are subject to review by the Public Service Board.

Other services (Vonage, etc) are NOT regulated in any way. Everything, internet, phone, and sometimes TV all come in on that little 1/4" cable. If you slice that cable you lose EVERYTHING.

Don't own a cell phone, never will. Our total phone bill, including internet, is around $80 a month. Very, very, few long distance calls.

cap

14. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Reported to ATT this morning (15 minutes on hold at a pay phone in this heat) that our phone service is out. Will be Thursday at the earliest before they can make a service call...3 days. When I questioned "why three days", the repair rep was rude. That's service? Now business is on hold 'till then.

Will definately be changing to something other than MaBell. Too many problems over the years w/both personal and business phones thru ATT type service.

So I don't see how Old Reliable MaBell protects you from outage problems as stated above.

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

mette56--You don't have a cell phone yet? Heck you can run a buisness from a cell phone easily. Would have also saved you from standing in the heat for 15 minutes although they are not bullet proof either.

16. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: how is the call quality

Cannot tell the difference from my old Verizon landline to my vonage line that comes in via Charter Communications cable.

Saving at least $40 a month. Your computer does not have to be turned on.

By the way, if the cable goes down, calls can be set (when setting up your account) to be sent to your online account (voice mail) or as in my case just routed to my cell phone (or any other number that you wish).

17. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

ask the phone company about measured service. it is basic service yet you still have land line quality. I need land line for fax but got rid of all theother stuff. No call waiting--96 dollars a year, unlimited calling--75 dollars a year. measured service is 30 calls a month and 8 cents each after that. Incoming ones are free. Cut my bill about 20 bucks a montha nd use cell most of the time. motordoc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.