1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Phone advice wanted

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Sam Ogle, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle Member

Dec 13, 2006
    I am wanting to purchase a new phone.
    I am looking at a Droid Global for its GPS capabilities. ("Global" does mean GPS, doesn't it?)
    I also want a phone I can use Skype on.
    Any Suggestions?

Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE
  2. front242

front242 Member

Nov 17, 2006
    The "global" means that you can also use it in other countries with cellular systems that use different systems than that we use in North America. If you're not traveling to Europe, you probably don't need it. Most phones today have GPS capabilities but that doesn't mean it is a GPS per say. It usually means if the phone has it's broadcasting turned on, there are ways to track said phone and thus the user.

The wife has an HTC Incredible that she likes or Verizon has the Apple Iphone coming out in February.

3. roofcutter1

roofcutter1 TS Member

Dec 3, 2009
    The 3gs Iphone will do everthing you need and then some!!! Bob M.........
  4. shelly

shelly TS Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Yes, the Iphone will do what you need unless you like to make phone calls since it drops calls faster than you can make them. I'm a former 3gs owner who won't go back. Anybody want to buy mine?
  5. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I second that! I will dump my I-phone as soon as I can. Phone part is no good>>>
  6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Global Postioning System = GPS. Break-em all. Jeff
  7. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Stranger in a Strange Land
    The wife and I love the Droid X. Phone speakers are probably the best to date in a phone that I have owned. Reception is great; yes it has GPS, a nice large screen for viewing, etc.. It will work Skype, etc... Battery life is good, not great...

My battery life increased quite a bit once I started using ADAVANCED TASK KILLER FREE. I hit that one button when I turn the phone on and whenever I think about it and it shuts down almost all apps. There is no reason for 30 apps to be running in the background...

I also turn off the Wi-Fi if I am not at home so the phone does not constantly want to connect to other networks. These phones are mini-computers and just like any computer, the more crap that is running, the slower the phone becomes.

Free apps mean you will get advertisements and possible junk programs that will lock up any smart phone, paid apps are better....

The "OUR GROCERIES" app is pretty cool because it syncs however many phones a person wants together. One person updates the list which is broken down into stores that you enter into the phone, i.e., a grocery store, Wal-Mart, Napa, sears, etc... and it automatically populates the list on the other authorized phones.

Our calendars on the phones are synched, it is pretty cool stuff...

It is a big phone though especially ours after I covered them in the Otter Box Defender series. Awesome phone protection for the times the phone slips and hits the pavement. I bought an Otter box Defender for my work BB and that sucker has hit the ground a few times with no damage to the phone.

There are definitely a couple smaller smart phones out there, I like the bigger touch screen buttons because now I don't fat finger as often. The X has an 8MP camera and HD video built in... Very cool. I can take a picture and it have it instantly sent to photobucket or email...

The wife likes to update facebook with photos instantly...

ONe note with the smart phones, I leave the GPS off and the geo tags off (for photos, etc.) That is information that really doesn't need to be recorded.

Also the price for the smart phone technology can and probably is (especially when the GPS and geo tag features are enabled) that the phone is being tracked...

Personally I don't give a crap if companies are trying to figure out my patterns to bombard me with personally geared advertisements... and as far as big brother goes, well anyone with ANY cell phone can be tracked, so for me, that is not a concern either.
  8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I've had the HTC Inredible with Verizon since they first came out last April.
    I do not like the Google Navigator, which is their GPS system. My Garmin gives good turn by turn directions and you can just follow the voice commands as you drive. The Google GPS will give a long winded direction like: Turn right on Hwy 70, then take the ramp north on 85 to exit left on the 170. So you have to remember all that as you're driving. Also I've gotten some absolutely wrong directions on several occasions.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.