1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Phoenix Bunker

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pufftarget, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

Per Cadry Genena, the Phoenix bunker was up and throwing targets this weekend.
    Threw great targets and at time of conversation not one broken target out of several rounds. Official opening 12/26.

Chuck

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Now, lets wait and see if all those who were huffing and puffing about getting it done show up ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Congratulations to everybody involved - a new bunker is a really big deal.

I hope Chase or Cadry got to take the first shot.

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

WPT, I will purchase your round to shoot it with me. I picked up an old K80 barrel from David Capps specifically with that venue in mind when they were in the midst of the fund raising effort. I've never had the opportunity to shoot it yet and am looking forward to seeing the fruition of their efforts. I think it's great they finally made it to operation. Merry Christmas, Bob

5. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Where is it located? Ben Avery?

6. wanderer

wanderer Member

Located at Ben Avery. G.E.G.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Ben Avery is located in Phoenix, Arizona ... They are working on being the Premier club in the Southwest ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Bob,

I'll have to pump an old Model 12 being as I got rid of the combo set and over/under I had ... I can get more shells in a Model 12 anyway ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

(YAC) ... Your Arizona Connection ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Jim,

I do remember you, how have you been ..? You know that the club in Las Vegas closed down didn't you ..? That was a great place to shoot and have a great time ... Yes, we did shoot together ... How's Jim Sootballs Dad ..?

My Dad passed away a few years ago but I hear Shirley is still around but not shooting anymore ... I guess she had some health problems but not really sure because she and I never really got along very well ... She told my one brother that she didn't have to "fake it" anymore when it came to the way she felt about my Dads kids so it all balances out ... lol ...

Jim A. and I talk about once or twice a week, he will be coming out here the end of the month for his annual 2 month visit ... Do you still go out to Maywood ..? I sure miss that place and the games on Weds night ...

I haven't talked to Sootballs for awhile but I did see the new Challenger he got, nice car ... I keep my old Plymouth Belvedere Hemi in the garage except for special occasions or week ends ... Keep in touch ... Later ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The bunker at BA will be underutilized if they don't promote it to their shooter base. That's been the history of bunker in the US and will continue unless someone gets busy and starts a full fledged Olympic program started for the youth shooters of the Greater Phoenix area.

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Barry,

Both of them ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. Baber

Baber TS Member

Barry.... I disagree... The bunker at our club is utilized as much as the best practice trap. In fact right now we are doing a little better because we have a cover and can shoot in the rain more comfortably that ATA so we are picking up some shooters who would normally shoot ATA. We have found that most bunkers are used about as much as any single ATA field.

Tom

14. Barry C. Roach

Where are you from TBaber? In our neck of the woods the trapshooters have to subsidize the skeeters and the bunkerboyss. Even then there are bunkers that are just holes in the ground that only a couple of kids with Olympic aspirations use or they have gone to fallow. I mean no disrespect but history tells us that bunker shooting usually can't pay for itself.

Perhaps with the advent of the SCTP programs there will be greater interest. I hope so.

As to your one bunker to one ATA trap comparison it is invalid. There aren't many registered shoots shot on just one field. To make a comparison you have to count the targets thrown per shoot.

15. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Barry, TBaber is in FL I believe. I think he is comparing practice shooting, not registered. I was happy to see that comparison, it's something I've wondered about. I will be surprised if the bunker you have at Ben Avery doesn't do well. I can tell you that in general the AIM shooters at the club like to shoot both regular trap and our wobble trap. Some of them noticeably would rather shoot wobble. We have Super Stars, so that's an easy conversion back and forth. I wish we could afford a bunker as I suspect there is a growing interest in that venue. I could be wrong also. I hope this helps Barry and I look forward to seeing you and the big guy at Ben Avery soon. Bob

16. Baber

Baber TS Member

Barry:

What you state may have been true 20+ years ago but not now. Our Automatic bunker is every bit as profitable as our best practice trap. Now if you compare registered shooting there is a slight difference. We throw two major shoots a year. The Regional Shoot in February is just about the same profit level as the Chain Shoot. Not quite but very close. Registered Skeet shooting is dead at our club because the referees Union killed it. Recreational Skeet however is very profitable.

As I said a bunker will be as profitable as the best ATA field at any club. You don't measure performance by just targets thrown its revenue generated.

Tom

17. Barry C. Roach

We'll see. How much does it cost to shoot bunker. Give us a rundown. So far all you've proven is that you don't understand how to figure profit. Targets thrown for total cost of operation is the only criteria to figure net, net, net profit. Give us some numbers, please.

18. ScottM

ScottM TS Member

I will be going to a range in Gainsville FL tomorrow to try my hand at bunker trap. I brought my shotgun with on my Christmas visit with my mother and this may be my only opportunity to try bunker as I don't think there is a range within 250 miles of my house in western WI. I'm looking foeward to it. I also hope Phoenix makes a profit at it.

19. Barry C. Roach

God bless you Sportshot, but I don't care anything about bunker shooting. The top of the game is the Olympics. We don't nurture our best shooters and it is corrupted by the military.

You've made it personal but I wont take it that way. It's only business and I see that your emotions have taken over. All that I ask is for you to prove that 100 to 1 ratio of new shooters and some figures on the net profit derived from bunker shooting.

If things have changed, as you say then prove it. That's all I asked for. As Pres. Reagan said "......trust but verify."

Try and remember that it's just business. Merry Christmas!

20. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I agree, we have enough problems without some talking down the other shooting sports.

By the way, I've been to Gator and shot bunker, and Yes, they do make a profit...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.