1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Phil Simms Softstock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Like to find contact e mail or telephone number for Mr. Simms. His website doesn't totally open for me. He's the softstock (I think that's the name) guy.

Thanks,

David

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

His handle on TS.com is Walnutmaker. Bill Malcolm

3. stockguy

stockguy Member

Phil and Nate are definatley in Tucson this week - both vending and shooting. I imagine Phil is busier than the dickens since his Pro Soft systems have become so popular. You might wait to call him until mid week next week and maybe you can catch him in the shop.

Greg

4. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Active Member

Phil has told me he will be in Florida for the Southern Grand.

Ron Burdick

5. trap_shooter2000

trap_shooter2000 Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Awesome stock! Phil and Nate are great people! I just received my new Prosoft this week for my Kolar TA. Can't wait to start shooting it.

Aaron Willoughby

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

David, I now have one and it's the best at reducing felt recoil of any stocks I've ever seen or used! Before I got mine, I just knew my old Carey stock that I'd added about 2 pounds of weight to would be almost as good. Wrong on my part, the ProSoft distributed the recoil way different than my heavy weight does and so much easier on the ole bod!!Great system!!

Hap

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Hi Gene,

Actually, I'm not in the market for one of his stocks, but for a set of O/U trap barrels for that new to me Kolar Combo. Seems I spoke to the person who originally bought the gun..he had three barrels, a top single, bottom single, and the O/U. He started selling off parts of the gun, but fortunately, only sent the O/U pipes, 30", down the road. Phil Simms purchased those for his son. They did some trading. That friend, the orig. owner of the Kolar (I am the third owner) uses a Pro Soft stock too. He really is positive about Mr. Simms and his stocks. I have heard two things about Mr. Simms: 1. He's a good guy and his product is excellent. 2. He can be a bit flakey, not delivering exactly what is ordered and is often late on delivery.

But...I just wanted to ask Phil Simms of that barrel set is still in his possession, maybe not used now, etc., or forgotton etc. and for sale.

(I am thinking of selling the unsingle barrel; I can't shoot it and figured out why, Finally. IMO, the unsingle requires that one has the bead as the main reference in the periphery. I am so used to responding to the barrel in the periphery as a reference. When I don't see the barrel, I tend to keep moving the gun and shoot over the target. I can break targets with the unsingle IF I start with an extremely low gun. If I see the only the truksswork for the high rib in the periphery, well, I imagine I feel lost and keep moving the barrel upwards. Oh well, it is a beautiful barrel, but a shooter, I imagine, has to shoot either an unsingle or a top single and stick with it...unless they are extremely talented and coordinated or a one eyed shooter.)

Here's a statistic, shaking down the Kolar yesterday: Unsingle: 17/25 at 16's. Top Single: 45/46 at 16's. 5/6 at the 27 checking "if gun shoots where I look and if vertical lead for short yardage will be ok; it is for 16 and 27 apparently."

I guess statistics eventually suggest a truth!!! Saw same amount of rib between beads on both barrels during set up. Unsingle choke slightly tighter by 5/1000.)

Wishing you continued good results at the Spring Grand...and congrats for "being on a shooting rampage" this shooting year thkus far.

Regards,

David

8. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

The ProSoft really absorbs the recoil. I saw many people shooting them in Tucson. Heck, I even met the famous Hap. What a nice gentleman!

Phil and Nate have a great system, after 1100 rounds in 6 days, my shoulder is not the least bit sore.

Don Rackley

9. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I find walnutmaker@aol.com is a good way to get ahold of him. Love his stuff

10. MOUNT-1

MOUNT-1 TS Member

11. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Whats it look like?

12. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Here's the website.

13. roofcutter1

roofcutter1 TS Member

[​IMG]
    Phil just got home Monday and I am sure he will be taking calls by Wed. He was so busy in Tucson he hardly had time to shot! Here is what they look like. Bob Murray

14. Hap MecTweaks

Don R., it was a pleasure meeting you also sir but I'm not so sure bout the gentamun thingie? Lotsa TS readers wanna bust my chops usually, for some reason? :) I can see why you love your stock too!!

Bob M., why did you wait till the shoot was over to break the hundred straight in practice with that beautiful gun? Good job regardless!

This new ProSoft is the cats meow for reduced felt recoil for me!! Best fitting and best stock I've ever used!! I can hardly wait till it gets back home, I have a job to attend to using it!

Hap

15. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

How are they for shooting doubles?

16. MOUNT-1

MOUNT-1 TS Member

17. Hap MecTweaks

kgun_shooter, two shooters, Alan Helfer and Dean Neumann tied in the preliminary doubles championship with 100s! Both shooters agreed to carry the tie over to the next doubles event in the main week with Dean prevailing there. Both use the ProSoft stocks! I can't explain exactly why but these ProSofts don't "torque" away or into your cheek when shooting doubles as most other sliding comb stocks do? Mine doesn't either but I didn't break a 100 with mine for some reason? :) I know from shooting other types of stocks why you asked the question you did! Make it a point to try one after it's set to fit you, you'll be glad you tried it out!!

Hap

18. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Thanks Hap,

I tried several other style recoil systems and like you said the torque was too much! It was a struggle to break the second bird.

19. MOUNT-1

MOUNT-1 TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

alan helfer trap

phil simms trapshooter