1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Phil Ross: Congratulations!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Congratulations to iconic California veteran class trapshooter Philip D. Ross of Redlands. Under difficult and threatening skies at Triple B's Shooting Park in Los Angeles, Phil broke a 94/100 from the 27 yardline to win the afternoon's handicap event outright on Saturday, Feb. 20, 2010.

Although this shoot was relatively low in attendance due to the inclement weather and competition from the Spring Grand, this win marked an interesting milestone for Phil and possibly for American Trapshooting: Phil has now won major and minor trapshooting events in SEVEN decades; Phil's first wins were obtained when he was a teenager during the 1950's under the tutelage of his late father, George O. Ross, and under the tutelage of the late and great D. Lee Braun.

I'd mentioned this statistic to Phil; he replied that he hadn't even thought of it. Phil, it was great to have been there when you eclipsed "winning in six decades"...Kudos!

David Buchman
    Los Angeles

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

You can't keep a good man down!

Shooting a 98 from the 27 is difficult at Triple B under ideal conditions, now add cold and windy...

Nice job Phil!

3. checker

checker Member

Well Done..... CHAMP for 7 DECADES....put the record book away, not likely to happen again.
    Ladies and Gents.....May I present Your 7 Decade winning Trapshooter..... Philip D. Ross of Redlands, CA
    [​IMG]

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

AHAB..'twas a 94, not a 98 from the 27. But...Triple B's, in my observation/opinion, albeit a great shooting park, tends to produce lower handicap scores. Targets were very difficult to see on the 20th; they'd get into the very bright cloudy skyline and almost disappear.

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Phil:
    Congratulations, this is a great accomplishment. As Hugh Brown use to tell me, "one of the best shooters i ever saw".
    take care,
    Steve Balistreri

6. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

congratulations phil. you keep practicing & one of these days you will catch on.lol.lol. the man done more with a 375 dollar model 12 than most will ever do with these new adjustable everything expensive guns. dwain

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

Truly PHENOMENAL. Congratulations Phil.

--- Chip King ---

8. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Congratulations Phil!!!

Charlie

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I was there; Phil doesn't "do" computers and doesn't post answers until his lady Jan has a chance to check out this site now and then. As I recall, there were nine squads in that race. It was threatening rain that pm, in and out visability.

10. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Hey Phil,
    Met you at last years State Shoot. Little guy with gout.
    Congrats on your achievement. Thanks so much for autographing your
    book for me. It meant so much!!

Mike Cunningham
    ATA Vet
    Groveland, CA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

books on trapshooting by philip d ross

philip ross california trap shooter obituary

phill ross trapshooter