1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Phil Ross: Congratulations

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I was told that Phil Ross of Redlands, California, broke a 100 in singles and backed that up in the afternoon with a 99/100 from the 27 in handicap. This was done at the Redlands Shooting Park, ATA event, Redlands, California.

This is a stellar performance; Ross only shoots occasionally due to many other committments. Arthritic gout demands that he use a power wheelchair to avoid standing for lengthy periods. Phil shoots and teaches trap from his power wheelchair.

Phil has accomplished his strong performances using an "off the shelf" older low rib, Ljutic Mono Gun that left Ljutic's factory at least 30+ years ago. Phil is also classified as a veteran.

A stellar "old school" performance of grit, talent, focus, and determination.

Phil, sorry I missed the performance..and I hear that second best in the 'caps came in with a 93/100.

Phil is also a Contributing Editor to Shotgun Sports Magazine; we can hope that he might find time to write about how to adjust one's shooting to physical challenges and to age.

Phil: "This Bud (or Diet Dr. Pepper) is for you!"

2. hybrid

hybrid Member

Nice Job Phil !! - a true competitor - John

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Country Blues ... it isn't the arrow, it is the Indian!

Phil has been a Champion even before I met him 36 years ago.

Congrats Phil!

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Great shooting Phil.
    Steve Balistreri

5. Las Vegas 1000

Las Vegas 1000 TS Member

Not surprising scores from Phil but congrats are in order. Nice shooting.

Gary & Jim

6. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Congrats Phil!! Was Mr. Dillard on your squad to witness the fun? Wish I could have been there! I hope to shoot with you guys again soon.

-Aaron Valdes
    San Diego, Ca

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

8. Vince morrow

Vince morrow TS Member

If you've read Phil's book, then you'll see he's a living example of both mental AND physical determination.... Good shooting Phil... STAY TENACIOUS!!

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I'm on a steroid regimen to alleviate the neck pain I'm experiencing.But the side benefit is it cleared up my gout.

10. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

congratulations phil. i was talking to phil one day at redlands & phil told me that he had broke 66 99,s from the 27 before he got his 1st 100 from the 27 which was the vandalia hdcp at the grand in 1979 the same year phil won the HOA. this made phil the 3rd person to break a perfect score from the 27 at the grand. phil also told me that many of those 99,s from the 27 he had missed the 1st target & many he had missed the last.dwain

11. bdshooter

bdshooter Member

Great Job Phil, Mark Johnson

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I called Phil to offer congrats. re this latest 99. He told me that he missed the 48th target this time. He also said that he has no idea why the target did not break; the target had not "beaten" him and everything "looked" great. I believe the target was not a straight away that looks easy but causes headlifting. Just one of those things; perhaps that happens at the 27, a target now and then will get through a pattern that's around it? He was using shells with which he was very happy, AA's, 8's, handicap loads.

Nice combination: An older non-hooded barrel Ljutic Mono-Gun that had been freshened by Ljutic 3 years ago, non custom-made stock, but upgraded wood and some offset for a righty by the factory. Low rib, 60/40 POI approx. AA 8's, 1 and 1/8 oz. handicap loads. "Just plain piperacks".

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

14. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Congratulations Phil!!!

Charlie

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Great shooting my friend!! Phil has always been tough the second he shoulders his gun!! That's the mental toughness he processes and what the rest of us are looking for! Phil's father, George was gifted with the same qualities too!

Hap

16. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Everyone who knows Phil has a great Phil Ross story -- and most of them are true.

Nice shooting big guy.

17. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

DB Bill: Not too many know, but Phil also has a great ear and voice. He used to sing years ago as a semi-pro. But, with his great ear and voice, he can imitate many voices, including some of our more "interesting" trapshooting friends. He has had me laughing so hard on many occasions, that my sides ached for a while and I was so tired from laughing that I thought I'd shot a trap event of 100 targets in 95 degree heat!!

And this is VERY true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.