1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Phil Kiners Eyes on Target Exercise

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

In one of Phil's videos he moves a make believe-target around and has you look at the target, all the while pointing your finger where you're looking. You see your finger peripherally.

In a second step, he asks you to look at your hand and try to line it up with the target, which is the wrong way to do it. The results are alot choppier.

I used the first part of Phil's exercise with a shooter new to trap with a different second step. I had the shooter move the make believe target while I looked at it, pointed and pretended to shoot. I told him to watch my eyes and repeated it a couple of times. He said, 'Ok, I get it.'

We went out and he started smoking targets. This was after an entire first round of ok breaks. He broke lots of targets but they were all bits and pieces. The difference was remarkable.

Of course, when we moved posts it all fell apart. We should have gone back to the exercise with a more oblique angle.

Thanks Phil.

Joe

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

"Look at the target, all the while pointing your finger where you're looking. You see your finger peripherally."

This is not the same thing as shooting only on instinct and completely ignoring the front bead. The bead is a reference and is noticed conciously or subconciously in your peripheral vision.

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Yes, I agree.

I like to bring it out into the open so it can be taught and performed by the new shooter relatively early before becoming so ingrained the wrong way, it can't be changed and you loose the shooter because of low or stale scores. I'm saying nothing about how experienced shooters shoot or how they describe what they do. I'm trying to uncover the 'secret' for the guy with 1 to 5 visits under his belt. If we can keep him improving and keep him shooting and possibly attend a clinic, the bridge has been built.

This is a little more context for my brief first post.

Thanks for your comment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.