1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Phil Kiner video review

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rockshooter, Jun 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockshooter

rockshooter TS Member

I think it's a good video, well worth the money.

2. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

I got the new one last week. It has a lot of hints that carry over from golf and basketball into trapshooting. My secretary's son is a kinesthesiologist, so I am going to ask him about his take on some of this material. It makes me think that I should have asked him questions a long time ago and never had.

The section on crossfiring and the section on reading breaks was particularly good for me. The video has slow motion views of hits and misses. With the misses you would swear the shot was high until you see the shot column going under the bird in slow motion.

The only annoying thing is that Phil has a lot of ticks and quirks when he is speaking and is not a polished speaker. He needs some coaching on delivery. However, that does not detract from your learning.

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have watched it and think its well worth the investment in your shooting ... Phil is just Phil, on the video or in person and though not a movie star or polished he gets the points that he wants to make across and does it well ... If it were not for the little ticks and quirks it just wouldn't be the same ... When it comes to "polished" Phil saves that for the trapfield and he sure shines when there ... 400x400 twice ... buy it, you'll like it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. mt

mt Member

if you're done with your copy i'd be interested in purchasing it for a reasonable price, thanks

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

WPT...well said!

I had the old DVD, now I have the new one.

6. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

I think it is a great video and it is much clearer than his first one in video quality. I found that I learned things from both video's and a lot from his articles in Trap and Field. For what we spend on trap shooting each year the cost of it is very small. Watching it builds confidence in your trap game, good coaches instill that in you.

Terry.

7. Houston6

Houston6 TS Member

I hate to be negative, guys and recognize that Kiner is a legend in trapshooting but I found
    the video overly long and very boring.It has many good points but I don't know if it is worth setting through the the very lengthty, boring parts. He also makes trap shoot incredibly complex. He might be much better in person but this video put me to sleep.
    Sorry, but thats the way it hit me.
    houston6

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have Phil's videos as well as that of one other well-known shooter and I can only say that if you thought Phil's was l-o-n-g and very b-o-r-i-n-g, you ain't seen nuttin' yet! And those who think Phil is trying to get you to shoot using his style should watch that one, too.

Ed

9. Senator

Senator TS Member

Most videos, like movies, can be somewhat long and, at times, repetitive. Phil's video, while long, is full of good information and useful instruction. A very good video from a well- intentioned instructor..... RMD

10. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

And if the video only lasted five minutes we would say it was concise and to the point? And I also heard he speaks with a lisp!! Oh Perfidy!!! I want my money back!! He helped me more in person and by video than anyone or anything else. Now if he would just go out and get a real job!!

11. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

"Perfidy"???? LOL!

12. pdq

pdq Member

I agree with Houston6. I realize that Phil is a regular guy versus a trained speaker or actor, but at 3 hours and 20 minutes, it would have benefitted from some more careful editting, as lots of stuff is unneccessaily repeated. I've now watched it a couple of times, and after the first time found myself hitting the fast forward button.

Now -- all the above is about ''how'' the DVD is made. The value for the dollar is a different topic.

When you consider that the DVD costs the equivalent of a single flat of shells, if you get 3 or 4 key pointers out of it -- I got more than that -- it is worth every penny of the purchase price. I also thought it was good that he wasn't trying to dictate how everyone should shoot (i.e. his way), but rather how to approach experimenting to learn what is best for you under different conditions.

So, with all this said, what's my advice? I would recommend people purchasing it, but be prepared that the first hour or 2 is pretty slow. The last hour is fascinating where he videotapes shooters & you see where the shot pattern is relative to the targets, how the barrel moves -- I could see myself making a lot of those same mistakes.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.