1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Phil Kiner game warden

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Hippo, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hippo

Hippo TS Member

I just read that Phil Kiner is the new game warden in Saddlestring, Wy. He is apparently taking over Joe Picketts district.

2. Wyoharris

Wyoharris TS Member

I kind of enjoy Box's books too. If you live in the state all your life like I have, its amazing how many names or people you recognize in them.

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I hope he doesn't plan on running after any bad guys!!

4. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Just another "Possum Cop".

Buz

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

oleolliedawg- Shame on you. I also know Phil. A more serious question. It seems that most hunters do not like poachers, but many also do not like Game Wardens. Is there something incongruous about this?

Pat Ireland

6. JLW

JLW TS Member

I think game wardens have gotten a bad rap.
    Most are like anyone else; just trying to do their job.-Jerald

7. Hippo

Hippo TS Member

Here is a link to the story.

8. oleolliedawg

Pat, nothing personal but the way Phil's knee is kicking up he's not ready to run a marathon!!

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

oleolliedawg- I was just poking a little fun at you. When I saw Phil in Florida, I thought he was walking a little better. After he shot 100 straight in a handicap event, he seemed to walk even better.

Pat Ireland

10. oleolliedawg

Pat, you know how sensitive I am about a little ribbin'. I personally don't care how nice a person Phil is but if he keeps breaking those hundreds I'm gonna learn to hate him soon!!

11. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Most Game Wardens probably grew up hunting and fishing, but now cannot hunt and fish much anymore.....so they take up a new outdoor sport.....catch the hunter or fisherman on absolutely ANY technicality, no matter how small, or insignificant.

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

We had one tear our truck apart for 2 hours last fall waterfowl only to find a very rusty trap shell in the bottom of a moldy clothing bag in my buddies truck... he had us under light until 2 am. Most of them don't seem to be the sportsmans friend anymore. I can see being hard nose to poachers but giving the average Joe hunter trying to play by the rules a bad time is not right.

I am sure Phil is one of the good one's as he is a gentleman in sport.

13. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Like all in this life of ours. There are a few in the game enforcement business that are total a--'s. But buy and large the largest percentage are really dedicated individuals. Sometimes they may appear to be rude or intolerant, but if you and I had to put up with they B.S. they do, we would probably much indignant. Support these fine people and the next time you meet one thank him/her for the efforts in our behalf. - Jim Elliott

14. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

A friend,(Jim), of mine was fishing and the Warden (who he thought was a friend) pulled up in his boat to check Jim out, checked his license ,checked his life vest and asked where is the "throwable" life preserver, Jim said his kid must have taken it out but what's the difference I'm alone,who would I throw it to or who would throw it to me? $80.00 fine. Glenn

15. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Ok I know they all got a job to do even my best friend used to be a county deputy now he is a campus security because the pay is a lot better and the benefits are better plus it is a lot less dangerous to boot.

Myself I have never had a disere to be any of them but my neighbor had a son in law that was a game warden and was killed in the line of duty forgot what happened but I guess some hunters want's to shoot anyone that want's to enforce the law.

Also there are a lot of cop's and other official's that like to use the badge to be in charge of every thing.

I have no clue on what type of person my neighbor's son in law was but still it wasn't a reason to get killed over.

Fog

16. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Phil wouldn't hane to run after anyone, he is a good shot.

17. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Before the rumor gets out of control let me explain.

C.J.Box writes a fictional series set in Wyoming. The hero is game warden Joe Pickett. http://www.cjbox.net/about-joe-pickett . Joe is a combination of Columbo, A Mountie, Roy Rogers and Barney Fife. In the first Joe Pickett novel, he was in trouble with his bosses because he had given the governor a ticket for fishing without a license.

One of the interesting features of these books is that many of the “fictional” events and characters hit very close to home (if you are a Wyomingite). Additionally, in every book there will be characters that have a live namesake.

Phil Kiner was mentioned in one of the novels as a game warden that had go do a job. It was a one page mention and the character never surfaced (in that book) again. He has shown up one time since with a son that was a brat.

Getting named in a C.J. Box novel has become a “big deal” around Wyoming. At a recent fundraiser for the Cheyenne Animal Shelter Chuck donated “getting your name in the next Joe Pickett novel” as an live auction item. It sold for $1600.00 and we sold 2 at that price.

No, I did not pay to get my name in the book. Chuck’s locker at the YMCA is two doors down from mine and I regularly see him at noon workout. The first time my name was in a book I did not know it was going to happen.