1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PHIL KINER CLINICS in south-central Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AveragEd, Aug 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Phil Kiner will be holding two one-day clinics on October 2nd and 3rd at the Duncannon Sportsmen's Association, located about 20 miles north of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. The emphasis of these clinics will be intense singles and handicap instruction with doubles taught in the classroom at the end of each day for those who desire it. Tentatively, the plan is for each day's students to shoot at 100 singles and 125 handicap targets.

The cost per student is $250 which includes instruction, targets and bottled water. Lunch will be ordered from and delivered by a nearby sub shop. Menus will be on hand in the classroom.

Phil uses video extensively and does not suggest you change anything in your mechanics without showing you on film why he makes that recommendation. You will not be forced to adopt his recommendations nor will you be ignored for the rest of the day if you decline to do so.

Phil doesn't hold many clinics this far east of his Wyoming home, so don't wait long to reserve a seat on the day of your choice. In the past, both days have filled quickly with many students on a waiting list, but I am not able to add a third day as I have in the past. Seats are held with a $100 deposit with the $150 balance due at the clinic.

Please drop the "x" in the email address above. You may also contact me by telephone at (717) 512-0250. Students will be sent an informaional email containing class hours, turn-by-turn directions and any other pertinent data about a week prior to the clinics.

Ed

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

You just had to do it in bird season didn't you Ed. I'll be thinking of you at the end of the day in NB with a cold one in hand enjoying the memory of the days misses. ;)

3. AveragEd

Yeah, Saturday is also the opening day of Pennsylvania's archery season for deer but dates for Phil are hard to come by in the east, so you take what you can get.

Ed

4. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Highly recommended. I flew to Wyoming for my first one. I jumped on the chance for the doubles clinic in PA a couple of years ago when I lived there.

5. AveragEd

Five seats - 25% - of the 20 available are already spoken for and these clinics were just posted here yesterday afternoon. Additionally, I received three emails overnight with questions. Those emails indicated that I need to add some detailed information about a Phil Kiner Clinic. This is the gist of what I sent to those three parties.

Classes are limited to 10 students and individual instruction is plentiful. Phil has an amazing memory and his extensive video replay reminds him of what he might not remember about a student. You will not leave believing that you didn't receive quality, personal instruction.

The day will start with about 90 minutes of "chalk talk" where Phil will go into the physical, mental and visual aspects of trapshooting like no one else. I've hosted clinics by many of the instructors out there and Phil covers that stuff better than anyone I've been around. He also tells you the "whys," not just the "hows," and backs up his suggestions with visual proof that his recommendations have roots in your shooting.

Before the students go out to shoot, he checks everyone's gun fit as far as barrel alignment with the eye. Things like length of pull, comb adjustments and gun balance are dealt with after he sees the students shoot, for some people are able to do well with a stock that looks too long, for example, and Phil doesn't want to fix things that aren't broken.

Students are then divided into two "squads" and the first targets each student shoots at will be 10 straightaways from post three with his video camera looking over the shooter's shoulder. That allows Phil to take detailed notes about each student's shooting routine - moving the gun before the target comes out, where the gun is shooting in relation to where the shooter is looking, flinches (which come in many forms), gun mount, stance and a host of other things. The remaining 15 shells in that box will be shot at oscillating targets. That video is then reviewed in the classroom, where the students learn from everyone's flaws, not just their own. It's just as good to know what might work for you as what probably won't.

Then three traps of singles will be shot with a video review after each one to verify that the changes Phil suggested in POI, mechanics and many other things are working for you. Handicap comes next, with perhaps a half-hour of classroom instruction followed by the class being divided up by yardage into two, three or four "squads." Video review follows every trap and five traps of handicap will be shot in total. The last trap is a shoot-off for "all the money."

Throughout the day, topics like chokes, ammunition, glasses and a multitude of others will be discussed and again, you will learn from others' successes and failures.

Classroom doubles instruction will take place as light begins to fail outside and everyone leaves with Phil's invitation to contact him via email, telephone or in person at any time when he's not shooting or about to shoot. As he says, he's not a "love-'em-and-leave-'em" kind of guy.

This is the only place I've advertised these clinics so far - the shooters at the host club don't even know about them yet and won't until I go there to shoot tonight. I'm speculating that I might be taking names of alternates by Labor Day, so don't wait to put your name on the day of your choice.

Ed

6. David J Comroe

David J Comroe Active Member

Will Phil have time to swing by Philly for some poker lessons? If he teaches me how to shoot I can teach him how to play.

7. AveragEd

Dave, from what my buddy Paul Quattlebaum tells me, Phil doesn't need poker lessons. Paul spent a winter in Cheyenne building a warehouse - about two evenings a week were spent at the gun club's card table, so Paul no doubt knows what he's talking about.

Ed

8. AveragEd

Girls and boys, I'm down to six seats remaining for Saturday and just two for Sunday with several people checking their schedules with intentions of reserving a seat. That's 60% filled in a day and change with no local advertising. Don't say you weren't warned...

Ed

9. AveragEd

As of 0900 this morning, there were three openings left for Saturday with four inquiries pending. Sunday is filled with one name on the alternates list. It's now or never!

Even if you call or email me after Saturday is filled, there is hope. I've almost always needed at least alternate as things come up in life and I usually receive an email or call telling me that someone can't make it. I'll put your name on the alternates list just in case.

I'm going to suggest that you both email AND call as I'm having some problems with my email provider today. I think they have the problem corrected but better safe than sorry.

Ed

10. AveragEd

Both days are now filled but please continue to contact me via email (it's squared away now) and I'll put you on my list of alternates. Things almost always come up for some of the people signed up and I contact the alternates in order when that happens.

Ed

11. AveragEd

Just an "up" for those who didn't see my last post. Thanks to all for the response.

Ed

12. AveragEd

As predicted earlier, I have had some cancellations and have used the first two alternates I had, one for each day. I still have three shooters from New Hampshire on the waiting list but I think they want to travel and attend together (guys, let me know if that's incorrect and I'll start using you one at a time).

If you would like to put your name on the waiting list, please let me know - it doesn't cost anything unless a spot opens. We have almost a month to go and I can all but promise you something will come up that changes another person's plans.

Ed

13. RAScott

RAScott Member

Ed, pm sent

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.