1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Phil Kiner and others...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by W.P.T., Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have never been to Steve's place in Las Vegas when it wasn't filled with smiling faces and happy people ... I plan on starting to attend his shoots again this year because of all the places I have shot at thats the place I miss the most ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

2. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I said this before: If we are talking about retaining new shooters, why are you all talking handicap? I would guess that most new shooters shoot singles first and end up quitting before even trying caps to any great extent. Is this true or not?

I seriously believe it is the high scores needed in D and C class that frustrate many shooters.

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Shoot trap to make money . Now that sounds like a plan ???

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

otnot

"Some shoot for fun which is fine with me(don't play the options). But I like competition and finishing 2nd behind anyone is not acceptable(for me)."

otnot from what you have written you might be confusing the love of money with competition. There are many shooters in this and other sports that feel the same about winning a trophy as you do about winning money. This does not mean they are not fierce competitors or totally into competition.

Everyone is motivated by something for you it is what you can spend. For other it is the best and biggest trophy and for still others it is the love of shooting with their friends and family.

It doesn't matter they all pay the same money to shoot and are entitled to get out of this sport what ever they can accomplish for what ever reason. In another thread you said

"It's a serious competition not a love in." you are correct now you have to put yourself in other people's shoes. What ever they shoot for to them in their own way is the same, serious.

Bob Lawless

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I never looked at this sport as shooting against others. I am shooting against targets. Unless you're in a shot off at a big event . The odds of knowing the person who won the championship is very limited. If I shoot a lousy score, I don't even look at the score board. Put in on my card & say expensive practice.

Lou

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is clear that different people have different reasons for shooting trap. I agree with 870, that if we are talking about retention, the emphasis should be on singles. That is where new shooters will test themselves.

We also need to thank Phil again. His thread is now in its third section with many posts, and nobody has yet began to curse and call others disreputable names.

Pat Ireland

7. otnot

otnot Active Member

Sorry Jack for hijacking your thread and your absolutley right that Steve knows how to throw a good shoot and he understands what is wrong with the game of trap and is trying to fix it. He knows that good purses and nice trophies bring the people out to shoot.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I just like the smell of gunpowder in the morning. The best smelling is 7625 with PB a close second.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

We bring more money into our club with our non registered events than we do with the registered shoots and I think it has to do with what Jack is talking about. A lot of people like shooting shotguns and they like the the club atmosphere but they don't like feeling inferior. And to be truthful, the average Joe shooting his field gun and breaking 70% scores really doesn't fit into the current trapshooter crowd. But those are exactly the folks that we need to solicit if our sport is going to grow.

Interesting comments here.... keep it going.