1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pheasant recipes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shot410ga, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Cut them up and fry'em like chicken. I must have done this 200+ times in college. One Pheasant cost only one shotgun shell ($1.25 a box) and back then a ten pound bag of spuds cost a buck. Cheap meal, my room mate and I ate good. Of course we took them in season and out, but that was the way of the world in 1969.

2. nkhale

nkhale TS Member

fillet the meat into small strips, about the same size as chicken tenders, let set in butter milf for 24hrs, use pancake batter and fry, you wont be disappointed.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It's hard to do a bad job on pheasant. All you have to do is keep the moisture content high while cooking.

They can turn out dry if not done right.

We skin them and pan braise (cast iron skillet) till very tender, and mushrroms in the gravy with white wine.

A little celery salt in the gravy, salt and pepper the pieces of bird. Delicious.

HM

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Halfmile and nkhale, U 2 R makin me hungry!! Hap

5. DJM

DJM Member

Salt & pepper it, put it in a crockpot before you go to work with a little water, onion, a can of Campbell chicken gravy and a can of your favorite "Cream of" soup. When you get home put on some water to boil to make some wide noodles. While waiting for the water to boil use a fork to de-bone and de-shot the pheasant. Break it into chunks as you debone it, mix it into the gravy. Serve it over the wide noodles.

6. DC

DC TS Member

YUMMM! Filet, pound to tenderize, dip in milk & beaten egg, flour salt & pepper, fry in real Butter!! Yeah Baby! melt in Your Mouth!

7. uawelder

uawelder TS Member

Braised Pheasant In Sour Cream From Meta Givens circa 1947
    1 dressed pheasant 1.5lbs, 3 tbsp flour, 1.5 tsp salt, pepper, 3 tbsp butter, 1.5 cups water, .25 tsp sugar, .5 tsp paprika, 1 cup sour cream; remove pin feathers and singe exterior. rinse well inside and out with hot water. drain well. cut into serving pieces. dredge thoroughly with combined flour, salt and pepper. brown slowly on all sides in the butter over medium heat (10-15 min). blend any remaining flour into butter in the pan. add .5 cup of the water and blend until smooth. lower heat, cover and simmer for 1.75 hrs or until tender, adding remaining water as needed. add remaining ingredients and blend well. Simmer gently an additional 15 min. 3-4 servings
    My Mother made this for me when i brought home my first bird. Very rich extemely good way to make pheasant.

Lee

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Pheasant Poppers

Fillet of meat (breast & thigh) and pound into 3/8" strips. Cut out sections about the size of a playing card. Coat one side of the meat with a tablespoon of cream cheese and lay a sectioned Jalapeno pepper on that. Roll up the meat and pin it with a tooth pick. Dip in beer base pancake batter and deep fry in peanut oil @ 400F for 8 minutes. Works well with Chukar also.

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Go to http://www.pheasantcountry.com/

Lots of good recipes there.

10. JasonH

JasonH TS Member

My favorite recipe for pheasant is 24 grs of 800x and 1 3/8 of 6's -- LOL!!!!!!
    There is not much clean up after the hunt.........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.