1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pheasant opener

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BIGbill, Oct 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGbill

BIGbill TS Member

How was the opening weekend of pheasant season in south Dakota? Hearing that counts are down 50% from last year. Will be heading out west next weekend.

Bill

2. LABWILD

LABWILD Member

I will be hunting with a group near Aberdeen at the end of Oct. www.homesteadhunting.com

3. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

We are leaving ND this morning, and I can tell you the bird numbers here are significantly down from last year. Some areas had at best 20% of what they held before. We got some birds, but it was a hunt, not a shoot. Still a great time...

4. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

Just got back from hunting around Williston, ND. Bird numbers are definitely down and still alot of signs of flooding. Also a lot more posted signs as the oil drilling is bringing a bunch of new people into the area. We were fortunate to get our limit each day with a little walking - okay, a LOT of walking...

5. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Have hunted SD every year except the one I was in Viet Nam. This years
    numbers are the lowest since '79. I have a new Llewellyn pup and need to
    get him experience. I believe numbers are better as you go west, I live
    near Watertown. Gary Owen

6. motowheelguy

motowheelguy TS Member

I'll be leaving for SD on thurs, I drew for out of state waterfowl. Hope to find a chicken or 2.

Aaron Holguin

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Our farming operation of 20,000+ acres was not down, but damned near non-existent, pheasant speaking. We saw more deer than roosters.

Not uncommon for us in the past the shoot 50-60 roosters in the first corn field, but not this year.

Last year was supposed to be like it was back in the early 60's. GF&P stated that this year's population was down 40%. Where we are it was down 99%. The long, hard winter took its toll and those hens who survived the winter were unable to provide their typical two hatches due to the extreme rains.

Today I'm nursing a sinus infection and blood shot eyes from standing at the ends of the corn fields as the combines, 3 in tandem, finished off some fields. NO ROOSTERS, or damn few.

[​IMG]

Three of these make a helluva lot of dust, but boy can they strip corn. With six combines in a field, three tractors and tracked grainhaulers, and 3 semis, it didn't take long to cut a section of corn. We were always moving around trying to stay out of their way. I have the greatest respect for this operation's hard work.

[​IMG]

A couple of weeks ago the farm called to say they'd cut 1,000 acres of beans and saw 5 roosters. Normally in a 1,000 acres we'd see 500-1000 pheasants.

Hoping for a better 2012, and hoping folks heading this way have better luck than we had. Another trapshoot buddy of mine says they got their limits down in the Winner area which is a couple hundred miles further west and south from us.

Whiz

8. vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay Member

Dad is in Peirre right now and has gotten his limit every day so far. Neighbor in MI has 8000 acre farm out 6 miles from downtown Peirre. Not sure how fast is fast as far as limiting goes, but they were done by two the days they hunted.

9. gunfighter001

gunfighter001 Member

20,000 acres, ain't that something must be money in reloaders.

10. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

I started another thread titled "SD pheasant reports" before seeing this one but then deleted it since this one already has the info I was looking for. Thanks to those who posted on this thread. Headed to Huron area in about 10 days. Hopefully you guys left a few roosters for us. Whiz, thanks for posting the pictures.

11. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Pheasant shooting was great in Pierre area and fishing was awesome on the river.

12. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

According to sate survey Pierre area had most birds per square mile, but all areas in the state were down and some considerably over last year.

13. whiz white

Ya, gunfighter001. Didn't think you were still around - no one every says anything about you!

14. BIGbill

BIGbill TS Member

Just got done with three days inParker SD. Had a great hunt with my dad and some business partners. Limited everyday, got my first double. Weather was amazing. If you want a first class guided hunt, look up the BBB lodge in Parker SD.

Did I say that the food was great?

Bill

15. LostPostOne

LostPostOne TS Member

We hunted opening weekend in Parker,SD. Plenty of birds but alot of corn still in and had to walk the tough stuff. Limited both days.

Check out JP Denmark on web I recommend him nice lodge and great hunting.

Bryan

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

My friend who has some land between Parkston and Corsica says his hunting has been reasonably good.

17. whiz white

I wasn't able to make it this, the second week-end, but my partner and I had lunch today. He said that all of the corn is in, and therefore they limited Saturday and Sunday hunting the kosha, creek bottoms, and weed patches.

It was not as good as last year, but they were able to limit.

Mark also told me that with all the combines in the corn, they were able on a couple of occasions to make it in their final strips and several birds were shot. It was still not as good as it's been in the past due to the hard winter and two untimely terrific rains storms.

WW

18. capulona

capulona TS Member

What would be the reason for the drop in numbers?

19. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

Loss of CRP, brutal winter, and wet months of April and May are likely culprits for the decline in population.

20. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

flooding rains in the spring

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.