1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

pheasant loads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nailer123, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

What do you think is the best load for pheasants.I was loading hs7 many years ago .Guns unlimted doesnt carry it anymore .They said try blue dot what do you think.

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Blue Dot, 800X, Longshot, Herco - they all will work

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

HS-7 has been discontinued, but there is some left over inventory around if you can find it. It's a great powder and I have used it for handgun loads as well. HS-6 is still around, but it is a bit faster. I have also used the old Winchester 540 (Same as HS-7) for many years in heavier loads. 540 had been discontinued many years ago, but I have a pretty good supply of it, along with some HS-7.

Longshot, Herco, 800X, Blue Dot, and a few others are suitable as mentioned above for heavy loads. 800-X is sometimes hard to meter well. I use WSF or Unique in 1 1/4 oz loads at reasonable velocities. Most of these slower powders are LOUD, even in some of the lightest loads listed. I would also not recommend reducing the loads below the listed data with these powders. There have been some reports/rumors of detonations as a result, especially with Longshot.

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If you're going to a pheasant ranch, save yourself some money and bring a tennis racquet....just as effective on those farm birds.

Tron

5. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

Tron i no what your saying i think the dog can catch them so why take a gun. I only hunt wild nebraska birds.

6. 5spd

5spd TS Member

I use Red Dot for all my trap & bird loads behind 1 1/8 oz 7.5 shot, runs about 1200 fps. I use it for 1 1/4 oz loads as well when I need the extra ooompf.

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Remington Nitro-Mag 4's or 6's.

8. Lyle

Lyle Member

I agree with Whiz, but maybe split the difference and shoot 5's for early season wild birds and then 4's when the snow is on the floor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best herco pheasant load
hs6 pheasant load

pheasant loads with unique powder

wsf vs herco for pheasant loads