1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

pheasant load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Jul 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I've decided to load up some shells for a pheasant hunt in IA this fall. Just for a place to start, can anyone give me their favorite recipe? Thanks Bill in MI

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Kind of a waste of time, if you ask me. Factory stuff works well, and unless you use a LOT of these shells, you really aren't saving any money.

On the other hand...I do it.

Mine:

Remington Gun Club, Nitro, or STS hulls<br>
    Winchester 209 Primer<br>
    29.5 grains of Hodgdon Longshot<br>
    Winchester WAA12F114 Wad (or clone)<br>
    1-1/4 ounces of Remington STS Magnum shot (I like 5's) <br>

By the tables, this is about 10,000 psi and about 1350 fps muzzle velocity. Plenty for pheasants.

3. bigeoj

bigeoj Member

To me it would seem that you would save approx. 10-12 dollars a box with factory pheasant loads going for 12-17 dollars/box. AA hull, 33.0 gr longshot, sp12 wad. 1 1/4oz. of 5 or 6 shot depending on your preference. 1440 fps. Joe

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

# 4's with copper plated shot 1 1/4 oz loads. I always buy Fiochis new but relaods will work. I ived in South Dakota and most all the natives shoot copper 4's. The birds wont run

5. atadams77

atadams77 Member

i use 3" turkey loads, at least 1.5 oz copper plated shot. number 5's or 6's. itll reach and get the bird even after everyone else has unloaded and missed. Especially on wild birds. Almost too much for close in pin raised birds.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

timb99 has a good load there.

7. JLSIMON

JLSIMON Member

Federal Gold Medal
    25 gr 800x
    1 1/8 oz #5 shot
    W209/12S3
    1260 fps/8000 psi

Unless you have a sure thing lined up, Iowa is NOT the place for Pheasant hunting. We would like to have you visit our state but unless you are in the right spot you will be disappointed in the number of birds to shoot at.

As much as it pains me to say..a better bang (after bang, after bang) for the buck is in South Dakota.

Jim Simon
    Iowa

8. 870compman

870compman TS Member

I buy Federal Premium copper plated shells # 6 or 7.5 shot. Size 6 or 7.5 shot does not ruin the meat on a pheasant like larger size shot shells. The other thing is you can get a lot of money tied up in pheasant reloads, new shells are cheeper.

The best way to sharpen your shooting skills is to visit a gun club before season opens. I know a lot of people who only come to the club before pheasant season just to brush up on their shooting.

Last Sunday, at the Walla Walla gun club two roosters jumped up after the first shot was fired at Trap. Someone yelled pull but they were two far away to shoot at. It was funny.

Dale Wolff

9. okieshootist

okieshootist Member

35 grains bluedot, SP12 wad, rem primer, sts hull, 1 1/4 oz of #5 or #6 copper at about 1275 fps. I have used for over 20 years and the pheasants purely hate this load. Okieshootist (David H)

10. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

If you have large shot and slow burning powder on hand, have at it. If not buy some Fiocchi Golden Pheasant in #4. I've tried different shells, including my reloads, and this one puts them down for the count. What works on preserve pheasants won't necessarily work to well on the wild ones.

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

As per above 1&1\4 oz. copper plated #4 or 5s, GOOD STS hull (not the time or place for a jammed gun) any suitable powder-- MV. 1250 to 1330 is more than sufficient. This is not the time to worry about a 5 cent hull. You need knock-down power for these wild roosters, one that is peppered with 6s or 71\2S that flies off as a cripple & dies a slow painful death is NOT very sportsman like or humane to the game animal. Ross Puls (Iowa pheasant hunter)

12. Tpeterson1

Tpeterson1 Member

Or for a great non-tox load check out Hevi shot or Hevi Metal pheasant~Both loads are alot better than any steel loads for wild birds,Hevi shot for pheasants might be over kill but do a # on long shots,maybe better than lead ever did.

Product Line:HEVI-Metal?Â? Pheasant
    Gauge: 12
    Length: 2-3/4"
    Charge Weight:1-1/8
    FPS: 1350
    Shot Size:3
    Box Pack: 25
    Case Pack: 10

13. fishguts

fishguts Member

A $10 box of Super X game loads in #5 or #6 is all you need....

Wayne

14. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Federal's 2 3/4" Magnum with 1 1/2 oz of buffered copper-plated 6s will knock a rooster down from some unbelieveable distances.

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Remington Nitro 27's with 7 1/2s right out of the box they came in ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Tim99 has a good load if you you really want to roll your own.

On the other hand you can get excellent quality factory ammo in appropriate loadings just about everywhere you go in pheasant country. Part of the fun for me is picking up a box of shells at what ever mom and pop gas station we might stop at. Accomplishes a couple of things 1. you are putting a couple of bucks into the local economy and 2. It opens the door for more conversation about bird hunting - mid western people are generally very friendly if you don't come off as too much of a dude. Found several honey hole bird spots with this simple technique.

As for the shells, 1 1/4 to 1 3/8 Oz of #4 or #5 at 1,300 to 1,350 FpS will put the roosters down for the count very reliably.

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

WPT, maybe for game farm birds.

Wild, late season South Dakota pheasants will smirk at you with those shells as the pellets bounce off their Kevlar-lined feathers.

They may even taunt you by circling around and buzzing your head to try to grab your hat and shit on your head as they fly over.

They'll call you rude names in Cantonese or Mandarin (with a Dakooota accent of course) and make fun of your ancestry.

They can be a vindictive lot if you go after them under-gunned.

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Good advice from Wolfram. Probably every mom & pop gas station in South Dakota, Nebraska, and Kansas sells shells.

19. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

God in heaven... Why on earth anybody would shoot something they want to eat with 7 1/2's is beyond me. I recall a Rooster I shot with 7 1/2's while snipe hunting. 30 yards and 90 holes.

Shoot 1 1/4 of #4 shot. If all you have is soft chilled or drop shot, then just buy a box of copper 4's and go hunting. The guys who live in Pheasnt country and hunt wild birds use 5's and 4's early and 4's late. I use 4's all the time.

I have used the 800x load listed above and it is a great one. 25 to 27 grains of herco with an SP12 or a winchester waa114 or a federal 12s4 in any premium hull with any premium primer is another old standard.

As stated above, Unless you are going to hunt a whole bunch just buy a box of premium ammo. I have patterned Longshot and I am less then impressed. Lot's of noise and speed and poor patterns. 30 yards it will look great but at 50 plus yards it doesn't. As always.. Lead shot tends to pattern best under 1300 FPS.

Jeff

20. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

People are right about Golden Pheasant and other new shells. I shoot an
    older Baker sxs, shot at a couple pheasants with Goldens and the gun and
    my teeth are still rattlin. I like a 1 1/8 with Green Dot at about 1200-
    1250 fps. #4 or #5 shot will put wild roosters down much better and far-
    ther than #6. The new shell trend seems to be faster and faster with
    lots of shot. Good loads, but tough on old guns and old shooters.
    Thanks, Gary Owen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best 1250 fps pheasant load

best herco pheasant load

best late season pheasant loads

federal hull herco pheasant load

late season pheasant load