1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pheasant Load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dkimbler, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkimbler

dkimbler TS Member

I am looking for a fast load for pheasants. I have a friend that said he hunted
    with a load by one of the shell manufacturers, that was 1500 fps?? Does anyone have a load close to this and if so, will you advise ?

Thanks

David

2. Maurice

Maurice Member

David, you do not need 1500fps for pheasant. 1&1/4 oz of #4 shot at 1200fps is all you need. I have been hunting pheasant for over 50 years and have always filled my quota. I have seen so many Americans using 3" Magnum shells that invariably do a great amount of damage to the Pheasant.Bigger is not better.
    Maurice ( The Brit. )

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

If you ever shot a 1 1/4oz at 1400 fps.. you'd very quickly rule out 1500 fps..

1200/1220fps is PLENTY enough..

4. Ringneck

Ringneck TS Member

I have lived in SD for my entire life, and have shot pheasants for over 50 years. Believe me, you do not need a load that approaches the speed you have noted unless you really enjoy recoil. Some of the best loads I have used are loaded with 1 1/4 oz of 4 or 5 shot at about 1250 fps. I normally use .015 choke which is usually listed as light modified or skeet 2. If you do desire a fast factory loaded load try fiocci Golded Pheasant which is 1 3/8 at about 1450. I tried some of these with good success, but consider them over kill, way to much recoil. Have a good hunt!

5. Ringneck

Ringneck TS Member

I have lived in SD for my entire life, and have shot pheasants for over 50 years. Believe me, you do not need a load that approaches the speed you have noted unless you really enjoy recoil. Some of the best loads I have used are loaded with 1 1/4 oz of 4 or 5 shot at about 1250 fps. I normally use .015 choke which is usually listed as light modified or skeet 2. If you do desire a fast factory loaded load try fiocci Golded Pheasant which is 1 3/8 at about 1450. I tried some of these with good success, but consider them over kill, way to much recoil. Have a good hunt!

6. twotimer

twotimer Member

David, Listen to the guys that live up there. I go to Aberdeen every year. This year, for fun, I took an 1897 Winchester and shot 1 3/8 oz. @ 1500 fps federals. To put it mildly, the recoil was vicious. After 3 days my arm was black almost to my elbow. The fourth day, I shot 7 1/2 low brass and did just as well. Next year, I'm taking a gas gun and lighter loads, that is if I heal by then! Mike ( May even consider a wrist rocket. There were so many birds I probably could still get my limit.)

7. missed some

missed some TS Member

I prefer the same load i shoot handicap with 1 1/4 of nickel plated sixes at 1500 fps. works well at both bluerocks and pheasants

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I fed myself and roommate going through college with Pheasants. Using a Model 12 full choke, and the cheapest #6's I could buy. Since then I have only used #6's. Do they work? You bet.....

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I've lived in and hunted in SD for about 50+ years. Our operation used to host some of the folks from Browning Arms, and some other groups of dignitaries, however, do not now host anyone or any group or organization. We hunt only now with friends and friends of friends, and only hunt among our 25,000 acre operation and only wild birds.

My present day hunting group uses, after the first week-end, Remington Nitro Mags in 4 & 6 shot. The opening week-end, when the wild birds are not as flighty, we'll use the Golden Pheasant load of 1ΒΌ ounce 6 shot or its equal, but after that, we bring out the big shells, only 2 3/4", no 3" or bigger in our group. Not many in our group are willing to pay for the high priced shells (~$25 a box, retail), but believe me, they are killers. Some use the Nitro Mag in 20 gauge too.

Because a couple of us are trapshooters, we tend to do more of the blocking. As a result, it's nice to be able to quickly kill dead, not wound, a fast flying, high flying rooster at 50+ years. Believe me, we do it on a regular basis. And we do it many, many times on the hunt. What amazes me is that some of the other hunters with us, never ask us what we shoot.

I have never felt recoil in any shell, as long as I mount the gun tightly against my shoulder. It's not common but we have done; drop 10-12 in a minute or two in one blocking for the group.

Remember that in dead air, a rooster can fly at or beyond 60 mph. Add to that a tail wind of 20-30 mph, and your light loads don't stand a chance. Do a Google search on the Chinese Ring Neck Pheasant and read for yourself its characteristics.

I am reminded of one incident a couple of years ago while we were pushing a field along the fence line on I90. The rooster that got away, traveling due West right along I90 (speed limit of 75 mph) AND flew ahead of and crossed in front of a westbound passenger car. Kinda gave some of the neophyte hunters a true sense of the bird's speed when their life depends on it.

Also, only a couple of pellets from the Nitro Mag kills the bird. There is nothing worse than to wound one and then have to take off after it. You miss the hunt with the rest of us when you do that.

My trapshooting partner developed a reload using the standard AA case, the red AA wad, Blue Dot powder and 1 3/8+ oz of shot-can't remember the grains, but I use a 0.516" ID powder bushing and a 0.725 shot bushing. I have trouble distinguishing it from a factory Nitro, AND it reloads beautifully in both my P/W 800 Plus and Spolar. I have chronographed Nitro Mags, and the Standard Deviation is well beyond what one would expect from a factory load. And, in that same respect, one would be shocked at the SD speed variance in factory trap loads.

The above works for us and you can do as you wish with this info.

IMHO.

Whiz

10. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Shot410ga, do you have some good recipes for pheasants and chuckers?? Joe

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Trapshooter Joe: Fry them like chicken or bake them in Mole Sauce.

Mole Sauce and Pheasants:

Clean bird and coat inside and outside with butter. In a dutch oven pour in two cans of chicken broth and one can of mole sauce (mix). Bake the bird for 45 Min's @ 320 deg in the sauce. Baste about every 10 minutes. This is a Mexican dish, an old Mexican farmer told me how to fix. You might have to vary the time based on the size of the bird. You can cook chuckers the same way.

I must have eaten a couple hundred this way.

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I've shot hundreds of pheasants with everything from 4's through 9's. My favorite combination is 1 3/8 oz. of copper plated 5's and not pushed real hard. Of course, I've never hunted Kansas!!

13. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Early part of the season when the Roosters arent jumping wild a 100 yards in front of you, I use the Winchester Super Pigeon Load, its a wacker, 1 1/4 oz #6 Copper Plated, patterns beautiful, makes a good back up load for games too.

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Kinda depends.

If you're going to be making 50 yard shots, speed helps.

I figure if I'm not on a bird by the time he's 50 yards away, he lives to fly another day.

I found some loads using Hodgdon Longshot that are 1500+ fps, but they're 1-1/8 ounces.

Mine are 1-1/4 ounces at about 1350 fps, and that's all I need.

15. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Have been hunting pheasants with 1-1/8 ounce factory WW 16 gauge loads of #6 lead shot mostly.

Have been using some 1-1/4 ounce 12 gauge factory loads of #5 and #4 shot too.

Both seem to work OK.

A fellow with a Benelli Super Eagle tells me that the 3-1/2 inch 12 gauge with 2-ounces of #4 shot will work well too. He has offered me a deal on his gun.

Another fellow tells me that 2-1/4 ounces of #2 lead shot from his 10 gauge works well too. He is offering a good deal too.

Both guys are quitting pheasant hunting and taking up checkers.

Hammer

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I had used 1 1/4 oz # 4,5, or 6 plated shot at 1200 to 1250 fps. I never needed more speed and recoil. Take a look at some of the ballistics tables and see just how much advantage that initial 200 fps gives you at 45 - 50 yards. Going one shot size can probably do about as much as adding a few hundred FPS. That "edge" quickly diminishes over a short distance until it really isn't much of an advantage. It's more of a disadvantage given the extra recoil, muzzle blast, and slow recovery for a second shot. Sort of like driving in wire brads with a 20lb sledge.

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

1 1/4 Oz #5 @ 1250-1330 FPS from a 12 guage does the job on those roosters or if you are fortunate enough to be shooting the 16 gauge, 1 1/8 Oz #5s or #6. If you believe your only shots are going to be more than 1/2 football field away then you might want to rethink your tactics. Hint .. you can't out run them.

18. Maurice

Maurice Member

I cannot help but laugh at those who advocate large shot payloads and high velocities. They are OK if you like picking shot out of shredded and spoiled meat. The use of heavy fast loads to make up for lack of skill is not an endearing trait. Maurice ( The Brit. )

19. jhoward

jhoward Member

** Kent Upland (baby mag) Fast Lead
    SKU: k122ug42
    Kent 'New' 12ga 2 3/4" (Baby Mag) The power of a 3" mag load, without the price of 3" shells. 1 1/2oz-4 1/4 dram (1420 FPS) of Diamond Shot (lead) sets a new standard in field performance ! **

The above is from the Kent website, a 1 1/2oz load at 1420fps. I shot 3 of these in a buddy's BT99 with a countercoil on it. The countercoil bottomed out on all three shots and several hours later I could still feel it in my cheek. They are far from pleasant to shoot. In the field, with the adrenaline rush that comes with flushing birds, you might not notice it as bad.

20. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

BTW, if you shoot them in the head, it only takes one number 6 pellet.

My father did that once with a 16 gauge when I was a boy. True story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best 1250 fps pheasant load

do i need 1500 fps for pheasant

k122ug42