1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pheasant load with Longshot powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by len loma, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. len loma

len loma TS Member

I purchased some Hogdon Longshot powder for creating cheap game farm pheasant loads. What powder drop is recommended using Remington SP-12 1 1/4oz lead shot wads,Winchester hulls with Fiocchi primers?
    Thank you,
    Len

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The internet is your friend.

http://www.hodgdon.com

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Anything more than 7/8 oz for pen birds is way too much shell. A lot of difference between wild birds and pen birds.

ss

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

SS is right.

The cheap Remington game loads with an ounce of 6's at 1290 fps is plenty for zoo birds.

5. len loma

len loma TS Member

I have some 6 shot I bought years ago for $20 and see me able to cheaply create a good bird load. I plan to reload one box of 1 1/4oz buck shot coyote loads hench the SP-12 wads and longshot powder I am using. The Fiocchi primers are not listed on Hogdon website and not sure what primer mfg it matches up close too for reloading. Thank you, Len

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

more clay

Rather than guessing, why not either use components that ARE listed in the data or contact Hodgdon for their advice. You could always assemble a few loads and send them out for pressure and velocity testing as an alternative. Primers can cause some fairly extreme variations in pressure. There is really no way to tell what a particular primer will do in a particular load without data to support it, or equipment to test it. I don't think I'd want to be experimenting with some serious boomer loads.

7. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Check with the operators of the hunting preserve first.

Usually the fields are next to each other, meaning you will be hunting on one side of a boundary and so will another person or persons. The times I have hunted pen raised pheasants no one was allowed to use any shell with a pellet size larger than 7 1/2's. This is for safety as when you are shooting your shot fall will go into other fields where there will be hunters like you.

I used heavy 7 1/2 trap loads for this type of hunting with improved cylinder choke, worked very well on birds that you will probably have to kick to get to fly. I don't like this kind of "hunting". I'm only into a fair chase. I hunt wild quail here in Arizona and Huns in Montana.

Tom Strunk

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Len

I would recommend giving Hodgdon a call (better to call than e-mail) and ask to speak to one of their techs. They would be in a much better position to tell you the answer than folks on this website. If he is available, see if you can get through to talk to Ron Reiber. Ron is a heckuva sharp guy and will give you a straight answer.

Also, like Tom Strunk said, there might be shell limitations on the place where you are going to hunt the zoo birds.

9. len loma

len loma TS Member

Thanks for info. I will contact Hogdon.
    Len

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
20 guage pheasant loads using hogdon longshot powder
20 guage pheasant loads using longshot powder
best long shot load
best pheasant load powder

loading longshot powder