1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

pheasant load on preserve????????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Murphy, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murphy

Murphy Member

Going to shot phesants and some quail on a local preserve. What shot size would you suggest?

2. richrob

richrob TS Member

1 oz 6's is enough to take down a rooster but not destroy the quail. -Rich

3. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

7.5s for quail, 5s for pheasant. If mixed birds, 6s for both.

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

7/8 oz of 6's is God's plenty on preserve birds. These birds are a little easier to hit than wild birds. With this load, you won't shoot'em up that hard.

ec90t

5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

We shoot this at least 33 times per season and have been doing so for well over 20 years. Here is our experience.

Over pointing dogs we use 7/8 or 1 oz. 7 1/2 or 8 shot. One friend shoots 3/4 oz. 9 shot out of a 20 Ga. He rarelty misses and NO bird is lost because of a light hit. With pointers shots are quite close and it doesn't take that much to bring down a Pheasant. On the other hand, you will be surprised at how much shot a Quail can carry.

We don't like heavier shot because it carries father and there are usually other hunters near by.

6. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

1oz of #8's in a 20ga, will do just fine.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

My premium game load is an Intl' brew of 24 grams of copper plated 7 1/2's at 1350 fps. For furry critters, I substitute the same type of 5's.

8. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Most of the time when hunting preserve pheasants you will get very close shots.
    We were assigned fields where the birds had been planted that morning, these fields were next to other assigned fields.

We where allowed to shoot nothing larger than 71/2's, for safetys sake. Believe me you need nothing more than 71/2's with a skeet choke for these slow flying pen raised birds, mose shots are around 20 to 30 FEET. I used heavy 71/2's trap loads, don't think I ever lost a bird.

Tom Strunk

9. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

First check with the preserve. Many preserves have rules governing what size shot may be used. In CA, at DFG sponsored Heritage hunts, #7s are the rule, nothing larger. Some clubs impose the same rule. Pen raised birds are slower and lower. Factor in dogs on point and close flushes (you may have to kick the bird out of the bushes) and 7s are going to be just fine.

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I use 7/8oz #7 nickel plated shot @ 1200fps.

11. SD duck

SD duck TS Member

Tom Strunk ......

You really have to hate pheasants to shoot them at 20-30 feet. You also must not care to eat them. I see this all to often (followed with oooh's, ahhhh's and ughhhs). I have to ask...... WHY? The only practical answer is...."we use pellet guns", but I'm betting you don't. Do they sit so fast that thats as far as you can shoot. Maybe a chicken sling is the answer. Forgive my rant please but I'm really down on canned hunting.

I don't know about quail but for wild pheasants the shot size is 5-6-4.... medium-close-far with an appropriate choke .....mod-ic-full.

respectfully yours,
    A SD pheasant phinatic

12. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

I use to hunt preserve pheasants with two other guys. They both carried .410 skeet guns with 2 1/2 shells. I was the backup shooter with a 28 gauge. We never lost a bird in 3 years of hunting. The dog was usually good for a couple of mid air catches. Some idea how fast the birds were.

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Ditto SD Duck... must be some reason for agreement here. 6's opening weekend and 4 the rest.

14. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Even hunting wild birds in Nebraska...I've found that with a decent dog, that works close to me, my 20ga. sk/sk w/ 6's or 7.5's has always been just fine.
    Without the dogs,on wild birds, walking in a line with other hunters I've used a hotter "flyer" load in a more tightly choked 12.

15. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Murphy......You ever shot pheasant before? What kind of question is that? Just because they are pen raised, doesn't mean they are any harder to kill. Use the same bloody shot you would ANYWHERE! Geez!

16. Fish Springs

Fish Springs Member

12 ga 3 1/4 x 1 1/4 oz of 7.5 (live pigeon load) is all you will ever need.

17. Murphy

Murphy Member

Hipshot
    I was asking because I have not shot wild birds and thought they might get up further and quicker. You need to chill. I bet you are a pleasure to be around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.