1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pheasant Hunting South Dakota

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by flylta13, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flylta13

flylta13 TS Member

I am planning a trip to go pheasant hunting for a group of guys next year. looking for some insight as to lodges that are good with good guides and good dogs. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Ron

2. LABWILD

LABWILD Member

Leaving Thur. 11/7 for my third year hunting with the above folks. Near Aberdeen in S.Dak. Some in our group have been hunting with the Olsens for 6 years+. Excellent report on birds for 2010.

3. The Stive

The Stive Member

Give Rock Creek near Mitchell a try. Good guide and good dogs and great food
    and plenty of birds. John

4. bubba68

bubba68 Member

Ron, I've hunted SD for the last several years - I highly recommend it. We are actually leaving this Friday for our annual trip. We hunt around Winner, SD. There are literally thousands of places to hunt.

I looked at the link from LABWILD above. Looks like a great operation.

When looking, consider how you like to hunt. For example, my group likes to go off on our own, versus the large drives of 10+ people. This gives us a chance to enjoy the day with our dogs and know that we worked hard for our birds. In our five day trip, we will hunt the large groups 2 days, then hunt on our own the other three.

Also, consider the level of guiding you want. If you have your own dogs, then you may not want anything more than them moving you around from field to field. But, if you don't have dogs, I would suggest using a guide with good dogs (labs!) - too many cripples will get away without good dogs.

And, some people look forward to the "evening activities" more than the hunting. If so, make sure you have a decent sized town nearby. A town of 1,500 could have everything you need. But, down the road, a town of 5,000 will shut down at 5:00 in the evening.

I would suggest you head that way this year if possible for a late season hunt - it should be cheaper - and this will give you an idea of what you will want next year.

Good luck!!!

5. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Check out J.R. Classic Hunts in Aberdeen SD...Patrick Flanigan Winchester exhibition shooter filmed a few of his hunts from here....All wild pheasants plus Aberdeen is a great town not far over the border of MN...http://jrsclassichunts.com/

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

If money is no object, Google "Paul Nelson Farms."

This is one of the best there is in the state. Most folks fly into Pierre, the capitol, and drive up to Gettysburg to get there.

My hunting partner (retired GM dealer) has a place next door to Nelson's.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.