1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pheasant hunting report for Kimball SD

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RMR, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RMR

RMR Member

Heading up to Kimball SD next weekend to go pheasant hunting. I know it has been off this year due to the drought and spotty as far as bird numbers. We will be hunting on the Wagon Wheel ranch. Does anyone have any report for that area of SD
    Thanks Bob R

2. C1

C1 Member

Could it be like my fathers post card from the 40's?

Gary Riecke

c1_2008_03035.jpg

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Our group just got back last weekend. Good luck unless you have some ground that is awesome or shooting boxed birds. They were down last year, and worse this year. Road ditches are all cut and bailed, as is any other ground where they could bail it. CRP and prairie grass is going away due to $8 corn (cattle feed).

4. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

There was an earlier thread here when the SD season started. I think the consensus was that pheasant hunting this year was a hit or miss thing. Some hunters got into birds and other just did not see anything. It just snowed so that might change things. We are headed to SD in the coming few days for our second trip.

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Our area sucked (Plankinton), but some of the guys who were over in Kimball had much, much better luck than we did.

Kimball missed the bad drought that we had in the Plank/Mitchell areas.

Now that all the crops are out, you'll be hunting weed patches and shelf belts. You should have good success as the birds will be gathered there out of the cold and snow. We got lots of snow in eastern SD. In fact I90 was closed for a while I heard yeserday.

Good luck and regardless of the success, it's more about the being with friends.

Whiz

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm also headed to SD as of Saturday. Fingers crossed but am expecting to have to work for a few birds. No problem - a low result of looking for roosters beats being stuck inside at work. Besides no matter how bad it is it can't be worse than the chukar hunting in NV this year.

7. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

They shut down I 90 in SD because they are hauling a 200 ton chunk of coal to Mnt. Rushmore!!!!!!!!! Good luck hunting.

8. lost & Dead

lost & Dead Member

We are just finishing the new grain facility in Kimball. Long hot dry summer didn't see many birds the times I was out there.

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I wondered who took all of Nate's rooms! It was you!

10. lost & Dead

lost & Dead Member

Not now we are down to just a few guys here lately. Stop by and go up top you can scout for birds.

11. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

It has been a tough year for many around the State. Pockets of birds as mentioned above. We got into some around the Central part of the State but I did not even go back to Mitchell as there were not many to find.

Same for grouse hunting out here in Western SD. Hunted a place last weekend where we usually can kick up 50-60 birds in a day but were only able to find a group of 10. Nice thing is my nephew was able to get his first grouse.

Just nice being out with our Black Lab as we had to put our Yellow Lab down a month ago. Talk about tough........

Hope all who come out this way good luck and safe travels.

Bud

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Gary: Tell me more about the postcard. Really cool!

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.