1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pheasant Hunting DOWN in SD

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by whiz white, Oct 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I returned Monday from our annual pheasant hunt/shoot in Eastern SD.

Normally, it is more of a shoot than a hunt, but again this year it was a hunt. The past two years the area has been so wet that the combines can't get into the fields early enough to harvest the milo and corn. We limited, but it was work.

Beans were out, so we pretty much hunted corn, and weeds. The birds were in the corn...lots of cover and no need to travel far. It's a hellvua challenge to walk a sqaure mile or half mile of corn. We have about 10,000 acres of that to hunt, so we don't lack for available and virgin areas. We managed to successfully "wedge" the outsides with good success. Our 20" corn rows are 7'-8' tall, so blocking was the most successful.

There are birds in them there fields, but ya gotta get'em up. At times there were more roosters flying out than we could shoot... all at once.

The Game, Fish & Parks reported that numbers of hunters are down too. This is probably due to the economy and the fact that unless you have areas tu hunt, once the public areas are hit, there's not much to hunt, save bar pits. I noticed the absence of the normal numbers of hunters where we were.

Am planning to head back again this weekend, weather permitting, but that is not looking favorable. It is 40ยบ and raining all day here in Rapid City.

Hope those who did hunt those beautiful birds were successful. If anyone would like some pelts, I would be happy to oblige if you pay the shipping.

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Hunting standing corn fields is tough the birds just run from you, it sure would be nice if you could be there when they combine it if the season is still open

Some of the best shooting I ever had was from the platform of a 720 John Deere with a 237 mounted picker, and my trusty 870, while I was picking corn, not sure if it was real legal, but hey we fed them.

Probably didn't do too good of a job staying on the rows either

3. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

So far it's pretty much a bust here in western Minnesota. Around my area there is no crop harvested yet. Birds are all out in the corn. Another inch of rain this morning. Alot of corn will not be harvested around here until the ground is frozen.

Whiz, you guys must be pretty skinny if you can walk 20" corn. :)

4. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

just got back from pollock sd.- hunted both sides of the border, where mo. river enters north dakota. bird numbers look 1/2 or so!w/ all crops in the field. if you are looking for a good guided hunt- call rick bumgartner in pollock. he is also a walleye fishing guide on water and ICE!! this year was actually "hunting" and not a "shoot" so to speak!!! still way better than anywhere else!!!!!!!! ps: and no liberated birds

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

talked to the farm today and they are trying to get into the corn with the combines. They run about 6 at a time. Last year I simply stood (in the dust and chaff) at the end of the rows and shot birds. Helluva time, but tough on the lungs and eyeballs. Yes, the birds are in the corn. When we waled them, at the end it was a turkey shoot, but too many all at once.

One time many years ago, I even shot off the cab of one of the JD combines... now that was a helluva blast. Can't do that anymore.

Regarding the 20" rows, we can fit through them, but I find myself using the shotgun at my machete.

This week-end should be better as they expect to have some of the corn out. They sold all their combines and contract with a Mt Vernon company to do their combining. Unfortunately, the farm gang used to strip out the corn for us to hunt, but now is all commercial.

Whiz

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My dad remembers my grandfather telling him in the 1930's to enjoy pheasant hunting, because it will never be as good again. This was when they lived in Bismarck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.