1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pheasant gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BIGbill, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGbill

BIGbill TS Member

Going to South Dakota this november and would like to know what othewrs have experienced at Thunderstick. Will my 870 be a good gun to take along? Should I take something O/U instead?

This will be my first trip to bird country, can't wait to bring some of the big birds down.

Thanks
    Bill Payne

2. jbshep

jbshep Member

Lot of walking. Take a light gun. I use a 28ga O/U.

3. PhillyD

PhillyD Member

Bill I have been there the last 2 years. Bring whatever gun you want.Like jbshep said. Walking alot.... The lighter the better.I brought an O/U and a Beretta 303. The o/u never came out of the case. The "very light" Beretta was my choice. Those o/u get heavy after awhile. But I'm an old guy :>)

4. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

870 is about perfect...Remington 31L is perfect - my 12 with 28" barrel weighs 6.25#. Best Regards, Ed

5. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

870 does the job.

Berettaman7

6. Budoshooter

Budoshooter TS Member

Hey there,

I have a Fracnchi Alcione in 12 gauge that I want to sell. Would make you a fine field gun for those ringnecks. 28 inch barrels with selectable trigger and three chokes. Case manual and choke wrench as well. $ 700.00 shipped

take care, JPR

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Of course the 870 is a good choice for a SD pheasant hunt. If there is such a thing as a classic package that is it. My personal favorite is a vintage M37 Ithaca 16 gauge (I have lots of other higher end guns). The previous advice about using #4 of preferably #5 lead shot is good, 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 oz @ 1200 fps works just fine, no need for 'baby mag' loads. Don't worry about the size of the 870, you won't have to work that hard to get your three bird limit. The trick to killing the big roosters stone dead is to shoot for their beaks. A common mistake is getting fixated on the beautiful tail feathers and misjudging the shot. Have fun!

8. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

I will be heading off the SD in october for pheasants (shooting my beretta 391 12 guage). ill see what they got but i'd prefer an ounce and a quarter of copper plated 5's going at about 1250 fps. Screw in a mod and i'll be looking good for long and short shots!! haha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.