1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pheasant Gun and Load

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JHS, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JHS

JHS TS Member

I have been invited to go Pheasant hunting in South dakota next Fall. Good excuse to buy a gun. What works best? Guage/ Choke(s)/Load?

I have lots of duck hunting experience; zero upland.

Jim

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Get any quality auto (Benelli, 1187, 391). 1 1/4 oz #6, maybe a #4 on your last shot. Full choke behind a flusher, mod. behind a good pointer. When in doubt, full choke.

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

What gun do you shoot for duck hunting? If it is an auto and if it is an auto of decent reputation it would be cheapest just to get a possible replacement barrel that could be more to your needs than a whole new gun but if your mind is set on a new gun ... how much money ya gots to spend???

4. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Unless you are young and full of it -- after many years of chasing Pheasant my personal choice is a light 20 Auto either 2 3/4" or 3" -- a gun gets heavy after a day of carrying it around -- and a 20 is more then enough to bring a bird down -- you will be able to get on a bird when your arms and shoulders aren't pooped and make a good shot -- #6 shot -- Light Mod or Mod was the best all around choke choice for me -- been doing it for 40 years

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

do it with class and buy a nice quality,20ga. SXS...like a Ruger Gold Label.....

6. Lyle

Lyle Member

Jim,
    If you have lots of duck hunting experience do you remember the days of lead shot? If so, use the same stuff on the pheasants.........meaning 6's or larger lead. Advice on here has been good so far. I'm sure some pen raised bird shooter will come one here with the 7 1/2's are plenty crap, but don't buy that line. Late season wild birds on the prairie, especially behind flushers you want 5's or larger and I would suggest full choke. (also at least 1 1/4 oz. of shot)

Enjoy!!

Lyle

7. 3200

3200 TS Member

If you're looking for a good 12ga load, try the Fiocchi Golden Pheasants - #5 @ 1475fps. They put a hurt on pheasants and you can back off the choke a bit. They also make a pretty fair 20ga load, though not as fast.

8. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

remington 11-87 1 1/4 of #6, you can use smaller then 6's if you want to but from my expierience the BBs tend to stay in the bird and its no fun to pick out, #6's will pass through better and give you more longer range penetration, #5s are even better but there are less pellets so i compromised and got 6's.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Lived in SD and hunted for many years. Used a 20 ga 3" with # 4 ( preferably Fiochi) They will drop dead and not run, use a smaller shot and you will be chasing a lot of them. Don't need a 12 ga, save the weight

10. m70win

m70win Member

I hunt pen raised birds and ruffed grouse here in Michigan behind my Brittany and use my 1100 lt 20ga with 1 oz of 6s and imp cly or mod.I would rather carry that all day than my 12 ga 1100. But if I was going to South Dekota I for sure would take bolth.I,ve got a box of 3" 5s I 'd love to blast off at pheasants.

Tim

11. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I've hunted those painted birds in Michigan, Iowa, SD, ND, and Montana. A nice O/U works ok but sometimes a third shot sure would be nice.
    Call me nuts but I like a good 12ga. pump, 870 Wingmaster, Browning BPS or a classic Model 12. High brass #5's have always worked very well with me.

12. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Now I know why I don't ask for advice on ts.com. At least nobody recommended a RPG, yet.

jim brown

13. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Hunted pheasants in Iowa, N.Dakota, Nebraska, and Kansas. I use a Benelli SBE with 2 3/4" Rem, Fiochi, or Winch 1 1/4, 3 1/4 dr. #5 and even #4's late in the year. The Benelli is light, but good balance if your use to it. A sling is a plus going in and out of a field which can be quite a trip sometimes. I always use full choke on wild birds. You have the option to let them get out, but alot of times they already are, and you can back up your pals on those long crossers.
    If your not sure start w/Mod and bring your extra tubes along.

Oh ya, most important...break in some good light boots weeks before you go. prefer Irish Setters. Changing socks at noon freshens the tootsies. Lots and lots of walking.

14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

jim, I have definetly seen some late winter birds that required an "RPG". Darn dogs couldn't get within 100 yards before they broke.

As for gun and load, dogs or not?

Early season and most conditons I like an 1 1/4 oz of 5's. Late season spooky birds, modified to full and may go to 1 3/8 of 4's.

15. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Pheasantmaster is correct w/ his question. Dogs? pointers or flushers? Most of the time after opening week, all the birds are runners. Longer shots. Don't slam any car doors.

16. jim brown

Pheasantmaster is the only guy I know who has killed more of those birds than I have. We both lived in good pheasant country all our lives, I just started a little before he did but he caught up. He uses a 12 with #5 shot; I use a 28 with #7 1/2. We both kill lots of birds. It ain’t the arrow; it's the Indian that counts.

jim brown

17. duckhunter331

duckhunter331 TS Member

I agree with jbmi, I would hunt with a pump before an auto. I can put three shots threw my 870 just as fast as an a auto. I prefer 4's, 5's, or 6's, depending on conditions. I prefer a modified, but then again, some conditions you might have to change choke. I'm a pump guy, IMHO, they are more reliable then semi-autos.

Travis

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I use a 20 guage 3 inch O/U with 1 & 1/4 oz of shot, usually 6's If we have good dogs.

The gun is a joy to carry and shoot, I wuld never think of using anything else.

HM

19. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

jim, yea but your a skeet shooter.......... Suppose you hunt them chickens in a skirt and pantyhouse???????

20. jim brown

Pheasantmaster,

Nah, I keep gettin cockleburs in my pantyhose so switched to long pants. By the way I represent that skeet shooter talk. I may wear pantyhose but never to a trapshoot an I damn sure don’t fraternize with those skeeters.

jim brown

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what load for trap and pheasent