1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

PFS Woes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Perdition, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perdition

Perdition TS Member

I was hoping to put a Precision Fit Stock on my Type 3 long tang Citori but I must have missed that the PFS pistol grips only fit the newer short tang style. Has anyone successfully converted their Citori from a long tang to short tang? I am under the impression that the short tang style is secured with a pin to the receiver and has additional machining versus the long tang style that actually is held to the stock by two screws. Any help would be much appreciated. I know that there are custom wood grips that can be made but I would probably buy another Citori that would fit the PFS before I went that route. It would be about the same price.

Thanks,
    Trevor
  2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Trevor,

I tried to fit a Citori PFS, the only one Vern makes, to an early (1977) Citori long tang, and it was a no go. I even bought a short tang trigger guard for the Citori and it would not fit either. I am afraid there is no way. I put a RAD on the Citori and it is fine. I hate to admit it, but it is my SKEET gun.

JON
  3. hunter44

hunter44 Active Member

You could get another long tang trigger guard & then inlet the PFS grip to accommodate the long tang & the screws........I mention buying another trigger guard because it will have to be bent somewhat to fit the grip.

The other option is to have two small holes drilled in the bottom of your receiver..........one to put the small stud into & another drilled from the side to fit a roll pin to hold the back of the trigger guard in place.
  4. Perdition

Perdition TS Member

Thank you all for the replies. I spoke with Vern earlier today. He said probably the easiest solution is to buy another long tang from Browning and have it shortened. Then add some blue loctite to the trigger guard locking piece and it will stay in place. You can then use a bluing pen on the part where the tang is cut. I was actually going to go this route and have the long trigger guard shortened and beveled to fit the inlet on the PFS grip.

However, after I made a few phone calls it's not that easy. I called Browning and they told me they sold all of their long tang trigger guard stock to Midwest Gun Works. I called Midwest and in turns out they have sold every one that they had. The guy I spoke to at Midwest told me to check Gun Broker. I checked GB and no luck.

I don't feel comfortable machining my receiver for the short trigger guard as this is gun is a family heirloom that I'd like to be able to return it to original condition. Unless someone on here knows where a secret stash of long tang trigger guards are, I think I am out of luck.

-Trevor
  5. JPettengill

JPettengill TS Member

I installed a PFS to an older long tang Browning a few years ago. I had to bend the tail of the trigger guard and inlet it into the grip piece, wasn't easy, but it worked. If you don't get it just right, you could use that black barrel bedding compound that Brownells sells.
    Jim Pettegill
  6. pedagogue

pedagogue Member

I have a long tang trigger guard that I shortned to fit my pfs citori. Vern gave me the same advice, but I am a belt and suspenders guy so I drilled and taped a hole for extra security in the now short part of the tang. The trigger guard is for sale $50 with a 5 day return less postage. Give a call if interested cell 908 369-8770. jack melitsky
  7. Perdition

Perdition TS Member

Update: I spoke to Midway USA after I saw this part listed on their website:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/814758/browning-trigger-guard-browning-citori-12-20-28-gauge-410-bore-type-2-and-3

It turns out that they special order the part from Browning/Winchester. I told the Midway rep that this was odd considering Browning had told me that they had sold all of their old stock. The Midway rep gave me the part numbers they use to order the trigger guard from Browning and I gave the Browning parts department a call back.

The Browning rep looked up these part numbers and voila they had the part. The part numbers are as follows:

B1334501
    B1334506

There are two styles, the curved long tang and an Upland style which is the straight version of the long tang. Both are held on with two screws. I believe the 501 part number corresponds to the curved long tang version (which I need) but I may have reversed them. Shipped to VA my total came out to $66 and the rep said it should be here on Monday. That sure beats $80 and a 30+ day wait!

Just to be clear, the curved long tang version I ordered fits my 1991 Browning Citori Type 3 Hunter model. However, I believe it should fit other guns made around that year. (I had the rep run my serial number). Vern Brown told me that Browning stopped using this trigger guard style in 1995. This should help anyone out who is trying to go the modded trigger guard route to get their PFS to fit. I'll be sure to post back if I run into any other issues.

-Trevor
  8. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I put a PFS on a early BT-99 with a long tang. The remedy was, inlet the long trigger guard into the plastic grip or cut the guard's tail drill it and screw itto the grip or mount a late model Citori trigger guard that is tangless. I chose the Citori tangless guard which which is the cleanness cosmetic approach. Mounting the Citori guard required a hole drilled in the bottom of the reciver which you can't see unless to wood is off the gun. The receiver also required a second hole drilled cross wise for a very small roll pin to lock the guard stud in place.

I have pictures, I can post if you like.

Surfer
  9. Perdition

Perdition TS Member

Surfer, please post pictures. Although I've somewhat committed to going another route I'd like to see the machining. It may change my mind.

-Trevor
  10. dead on 4

deadon4_2009_040811.jpg

deadon4_2009_040812.jpg

deadon4_2009_040812.jpg

Trevor, Here's some pics of my BT-99

Surfer
  11. Perdition

Perdition TS Member

Thank you Surfer!

-Trevor
  12. dead on 4

You're welcome, sorry about the blurred photo's, I was in a hurry, if you need clearer one's I can repost.

Surfer
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.