1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PFS vs. Custom fitted wood

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmi, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

For the price you pay for a PFS with some extra accessories (opinion is it's still butt ugly) why wouldn't you invest the same money in a nice properly fitted wood stock ?. A fitted stock would surly reduce any recoil concerns and it sure does look better.

2. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Don't beleive everything you see on here. Even the best fitting piece of wood is still a block of wood, and does NOT compress. Some people would tell you buying anything is fantastic, if THEY bought one. I've had "perfectly" fitting stocks, and they still tap you when they go boom!

3. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Ken X,

I've wondered about the same thing as jbmi, but if you you have a well-fitted wood stock, and still need it to "compress" like a PFS, why not add a Gracoil (SP?) or Counter-coil? They'd take away a little from the looks department, but it would still look better than the PFS. I'm not looking for either, but if someone's going for looks, I'd say the wood stock and recoil reducer would be the best way to go.

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

jbmi,

The benefits that a PFS has over a tradional stock is that it will change from gun to gun. The second being that the LOP is adjustable and can be shortened for winter and then lengthened again when summer arrives. Balance issues are easy to adjust because of the interchangable weights.

While not the prettiest hardware out there, it is still the best recoil reducer out there. It's not for everyone though. If you get a chance to shoot a gun with a PFS do so.

ec90t

5. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Justin - I do have a PFS on the Perazzi I shoot for 16 and handicrap, and a Gra-coil on a perfectly fitting Beretta double gun. The Beretta feels OK, but the P-gun with the PFS hardly feels like it is going off. I would buy a PFS for my double gun, but I don't shoot them enough to make it worthwhile.

6. tomk2

tomk2 Member

You can shorten or add pad length on a custom fitted stock to change LOP for clothing. If you get a chance to shoot one, do so.

7. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

By the way, the PFS with a dark metal-flake paint job also looks terrific!

8. laura!

laura! Member

I have a PFS on my gun. I originally bought it because of recoil issues. I was shooting slow 1oz hand loads and still getting smacked in the face. My gun stock could not have a recoil reducer added to it because of LOP and previous alterations done by previous owners. No, the stock didn't fit me well & never was going to. PFS was a great option. I love it. I can shoot Nitros all day long if I want. It also made my gun lighter. I'm 5'5" and 125 lbs so the recoil reduction, gun weight & LOP was a big deal for me. There is no doubt my gun is the ugliest one in the rack and I can't tell you how many times I've heard the prosthetic joke, but for me, it's a shooter!

Laura

9. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I went with a PFS on my Beretta 682 because of recoil issues. I had a XS Skeet that was barley noticable in the recoil when compared to the Beretta with PFS. Also my K80 Trap Special does not kick hard enough to warrant a PFS. Both the XS Skeet and K80 fit me well and neither kicked worth mentioning. The PFS was great for the beretta but I never liked the feel of the pistol grip. Besides being slippery it never felt good to me. Try one before you buy if you can. As someone else stated they are NOT for everyone. They are however infinately adjustable and well made.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I just bought a PFS, as adjusted the way i think i like it. It no longer fits in my case!!!I shot a few last year and fell in love with it. Im not much for looks, more function. Also what I have seen of custom wood that I like along with time for fitting ect ect. would cost me far more than the PFS. Some wood I looked at on line was 500+ before fitting to me or gun. I love the good looks of wood. but need a shooting gun that I can use and use and use. I plan on shooting my XT until no longer servicable.

11. larrystrollo

larrystrollo Member

I'm not sure it's possible to find a custom fitted stock from a reputable fitter for any where near the price of a PFS. When I was looking they were going to be about 2x the price of a PFS.

12. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Sure, getting the gun to fit is the biggest thing here. What I'm saying is, though, if you are concerned with looks, why not get a decent piece of wood fitted to you by someone who knows how to do it? If you still feel the need, get a recoil reducer added to it. I'm not sure how the costs compare directly, depends on how much money you want to spend and how much more you're willing to spend for a nicer looking gun (but one that fits you very well, too). If I had to pick between an ugly gun that fits me and a pretty one that doesn't, I'd go with the ugly one all day long. My post was just for someone that wanted the best of both worlds, I guess.

13. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

You've already received several excellent responses as to why somebody would choose a PFS over a custom wood stock.

LOP adjustments on the fly to cope with seasonal changes in clothing requirements.

Recoil elimination (not reduction).

Micro adjustments in fit are possible as your body changes.

But the biggest reason for me was this..........we have a PFS mounted on my son's MX3 Special and he grew nearly 6 inches in the last year and has a bunch more growing to go yet.

There is NO way, absolutely no way a custom wood stock could keep up with his growth.

If I was king for a day then the PFS would be mandatory on all youth guns. They would get perfect fit and no recoil - what a difference in shooting enjoyment that would bring.

And you know what - I LIKE the way the PFS looks. I admire and love the look of good wood but don't consider my son's gun out of place in the rack. In fact he wouldn't give up his PFS for anything now.

People are always curious about the PFS when they see his gun so we offer to let them shoot it - first thing they remark on is the balance of the gun - it is close to perfect - second thing they remark on is how effective the recoil device is and when you demonstrate how easy it is to make adjustments to fit them, LOP, cast, comb, cant, heel drop and pitch can all be adjusted in a few moments they realize that the PFS isn't some funky piece of crap - it's actually a tremendously functional device that makes it possible to get what everybody wants - a gun to fit them properly.

What price do you put on that??

14. mikepacific60

mikepacific60 Member

I've had my PFS on both a Perazzi MX2000 & K80 Trap...unfortunately, the PFS was a lot heavier than the K80 factory stock (PFS with the weights removed) and, in my opinion, unset the balance of the gun. Mike

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Proper gun fit is the key and it does not matter if this is achieved with a PFS or a wooden stock. The PFS does have two clear advantages. One is the compressibility of the stock. Secondly, with a PFS, if the thing is not properly fitted, it can be changed.

I have a long upper body and neck. This body shape presents difficult challenges to stock fitters. Prior to my PFS, I went through three custom stocks made for me by excellent stock fitters. I also made two custom stocks myself. I made several visits the both the elder Country Gentleman and his son. I had a fully adjustable stock made with a soft comb. None of these worked as well for me as a PFS.

Many shooters do not face a major recoil problem with there wood stocks. They have no need for a PFS. Some others have problems and a PFS is ideal for them.

Pat Ireland

16. finger

finger TS Member

If you want your gun to fit perfectly and if you gain and or lose weight over the course of a year (even a 5 pound change will change the comb position) you need to be able to adjust the stock. If you are recoil sensitive and want to reduce it there is non better than the PFS in my opinion. You can change the weight of the PFS if you have a balance problem, but once done to the gun its mounted on its done. There is a far larger range of adjustment on the PFS than you can get on any wood stock. Ugly? sure the PFS is butt ugly. You will get kidded a lot about the PFS. What do you care if you can outshoot all the kiidders and naysayers.

Something else I have not heard anyone talk about. If you are a comb changer between say single and doubles you can get a second PFS cheek piece and put the little screws in it and change combs in about 30 seconds and be assured the comb will fit perfectly (once adjusted that is)as will the other comb when you put it back on.

I have had mine for only a few weeks now on my Kolar skeet gun. I'm still adjusting it for optimal recoil absorption. I can't feel any difference between heavy 12 gauge loads and .410 skeet load recoil. The PFS is AMAZING! bob finger

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

A trap gun is a tool. No different than a wrench or a table saw. If you want it pretty, buy wood --- beautful wood. If you want a functional tool buy a PFS. It's all in the eyes of the beholder.

18. otnot

otnot Active Member

I know that when my 7 year old son begins to shoot trap I will buy a PFS for him. It's the only stock that can accommodate growing youngsters. I'm lucky that my wood stock fits me like a glove otherwise I would also buy one.

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I never liked the looks of a PFS and have always called them ROBO Stocks, but make no mistakes they eliminate recoil and are completely adjustable ... Nothing prettier than a nice piece of wood on a gun but when shooting that gun becomes a tool and the best tools made are not the best looking ones usually because they serve a particular purpose ... I hate the looks of the PFS but I cannot see it when I keep my head down and thats a lot easier to do when the gun isn't punching you in the face from recoil ... I have a Buddy who has a leg that looks a lot like my PFS but it don't bolt up to any guns that I know of and keeps him on his feet and moving ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. frumpy

frumpy TS Member

the only people who need a PFS are us old farts ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.