1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PFS Tension Adjustment - How To?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ontario Chris, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I recently bought a PFS and read the manual in hopes of getting great fit. Mission accomplished. However, I have been playing with the tension adjustment (I think) and am not sure that my efforts have made any difference in felt recoil so far. The steps that I have taken were to remove the recoil pad, insert the 1/4" hex head wrench, and turn the screw in/out to change the tension. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Chris

2. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Chris, you have been moving the set screw, not the recoil adjustment. You have to completely remove the set screw, then use the same long wrench that you use to remove the stock from the receiver. I would suggest screwing it in to it's tightest setting then moving back a couple of turns at a time until you find a position that works for you.

3. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Chris. You have been working with the "lock screw"..remove it and adjust the screw beyond the lock screw. Tighten it fully and back it out a few turns at a time till your satisfied. Hint. put a drop of red nail polish in the lock screw so you remember which one your turning at the time. It remind you to remove that one to make the adjustment. Don't forget to replace the lock.. the stock will adjust itself without it in place when fired. Once you get it st you'll be very happy with the stock!

Big Jack

4. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

There are two Allen head set set screws and one ball bearing screwed into the tube that adjusts recoil and travel. The set screw visible when looking down the tube is the locking screw, remove this. Next will be a ball bearing which acts as the locking mechanism when tightened against the bottom (the last) Allen screw. Tilt the gun so this rolls out into your hand. Now you can adjust tension and travel.

I'm assuming you received a parts kit and instruction manual with your stock. If have the parts kit, look first before taking any of the set screws all the way out of the tube. If there's a ball bearing in the parts kit someone omitted it and may have omitted the first locking screw as well causing you a problem if you remove the last or bottom set screw. If you have an owners manual read it and read it again, if you don't call Vern Brown (719/547-4432 before you move forward

Surfer

5. Big Jack

Surfer..I have owned three of these thus far and haven't seen a ball bearing in any of them..for the heck of it, I checked the on-line information and they don't mention one either. I must admit it could be a good idea to place one in the tube between the set-screws if for nothing else but a reminder after the lock screw is removed but I haven't found one as of yet. If I could find a grip that would fit my Grand Italia I'd have another one.

Big Jack

6. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

Thanks for the help guys. I did remove the set screw and have begun finding my sweet spot with the adjuster screw.

Chris

7. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

I just started using a PFS setup in Sept. Mine did come with a ball bearing to go between the two screws. I didn't know to use it at first because it wasn't mentioned in the set-up instructions where you would expect it to be, but after wondering what the bearing was for I went through the manual and discovered what it was for.

Mark t.

8. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

The ball bearing helps the lock set-screw work better, as sometimes the tension adjustment would change as the lock set-screw is tightened, turning the adjustment in at the same time. GAP

9. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Big Jack,
    As others have found a ball bearing is part of the recoil adjustmet locking mechanism and has been in the parts kit of every PFS I've owned. Because I have seen this locking system used in industry, I assumed this was the purpose of the ball bearing when finding no mention of it in the manual.

I think the bearing is over looked by many PFS owners as it's not mentioned in in the early manual (green cover) but is in the red cover on page 15.

Surfer

10. Big Jack

I'll concede the point, but I have yet to have one with a bearing included. I have considered replacing the adjustment screw with a NY-lock screw to eliminate the need for a locking screw completly. At the advice of the company, changed that plan.

Big Jack

11. leftex

leftex Active Member

My PFS didn't come with a ball bearing. I bought the unit used. What is the correct size ball? I put in a 1/4" ball and it seems fine.
    Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pfs turns out adjustment