1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PFS stock ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 682og, Dec 26, 2016.

1. 682og

682og Member

On the fence pfs or custom stock? Question is can one get a pfs stock adjusted for himself or would you need a gun fit? Any pros or cons on the pfs or any other adjustable stock? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

682og,
    I have three PFS grips, including one custom unit for a 682. I use my PFS guns for all clay sports. I spent the money to have wood grips and combs made and get many compliments. To your question, customizing the fit is all up to you. You can adjust, try and adjust some more. That is the real secret to PFS success. Not much effort and a great fit. I am a real recoil sissy, so I have tried all the add on units...PFS is the best and Vern Brown is a great help if you need it.

JON

indycamster thanked this.
  3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

PFS is 1/3 or less the cost of a custom stock, and it still adjustable if your body dimensions change. Kinda a no brainer.

If you don't know what you're doing when it comes to stock fit, obviously you're going to need to seek the help of someone who does.

Pull & Mark thanked this.
  4. jacksback

jacksback Active Member

A custom stock done by a fitter that knows what they're doing is the pinnacle. BUT, you need to have well-established form and stance, or the custom stock is a waste of time and money, and all for not. And then don't gain or lose more than about 10 pounds :icon_mrgreen:.

The PFS is basically a "try stock" that you can mount to your gun and shoot with to confirm adjustments. And it offers adjustable recoil compression from loose to none depending on your preference. As such, I think it's a good way to go, especially in the earlier stages of shooting. A lot of guys start with them and never bother with a custom stock because they work so well. Lastly, they do offer a great base for the measurements on a custom stock if you decide to go that way later...

One word of caution however: with anything that's adjustable, you will always be screwing with it to try and achieve a level of adjustment perfection that doesn't exist.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  5. perazzidave

perazzidave Active Member

the thing I like about the PFS that nobody talks about is the ease it comes off the gun. 2 screws and your stock is off to clean the gun, 30 seconds at the most.

PD

6. samyonix

samyonix Member

Pros - Highly adjustable, can move use it on multiple guns (if you upgrade later), very reasonable price, can be customized (painted, hydro-dipped), has decent resale value.
    Cons - Makes the gun back heavy, too many adjustments (if you are not the type to set it and leave it), grip is a little too small.

With the price difference, it may make sense to just try the PFS first and see if you like it.

7. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

You can't go wrong with the PFS. I went to one after a shoulder injury and haven't looked back. Vern is great to deal with and stands behind his products.

8. PatR

PatR Member

Although I don't shoot with one. Several people I shoot with have them and they each say they wouldn't have anything else. They can control the adjustments and body changes, Such as weight gain or loss. The stock changes as we change. I go a different route with adjustable comb and Gracoil. I would have a PFS is I got another. When you get the wood replacement parts they look great too.

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I had a PFS with the Ultimate Comb kit and I could not get it adjusted to suit me. Adjustments are not continuous. There are ranges of adjustments, and if you fall in between you are out of luck. I sent mine back.

I'd go with custom if you find a good fitter that you trust.

10. dwdds1

dwdds1 Member

I shoot PFS with the Ultimate Fit Comb. I love it. I adjust length of pull for the extra clothes in the winter and can easily compensate for the 10 lbs of winter weight gain that comes every single year by a slight comb adjustment. I move it right back in the summer. The recoil reduction is very welcome at the end of a long shooting day. I took it to the Cardinal Classic in Ohio last August and Verne installed the UFC for me. He talked with me the whole time and I found him to be an interesting gentleman with integrity that I would deal with in a second in the future.

11. easyloader

easyloader Member

I have a pfs on a browning golden clays trap. Very easy to adjust, but a stock fitter is very important, unless you have shot enough to know what fit works best for you. Vern is always very helpful if you have difficulties.

12. fhelbig

fhelbig Member

I am left handed purchased a PFS, scores came up after I got it. Then purchased a left hand stock for my Beretta 682 scores went down put the pfs back on scores went up .I still feel it is not adjusted right.I think I need a coach and a stockfitter.​

13. shawsheen

shawsheen Member

Love my PFS and thinking about buying a second, Vern is great to deal , I highly recommend

14. 05roadking

05roadking Member

Several guys at our club have bought them recently and they seem the like them. I shot a friends gun with the PFS today and the recoil adjustment is really nice.

15. mjtripper

mjtripper Member

Are there any parts on these that wear out or need periodic replacement?

16. us820

us820 Active Member

I would get the Ultimate Fit Comb and the brace......But I think the PFS is the best thing since sliced bread.I have a $2500 custom stock sitting on a shelf.

17. Scott Gradert

Scott Gradert Active Member

You need to be willing to put in the time on the practice range. The adjustment is almost infinite. You think your dialed in, then you find a better fit. That cycle kinda continues until your really dialed in. I'm very very satisfied with mine. I really needed recoil reduction solutions. The PFS stock has far surpassed my expectations and for a very reasonable price. Vern is top notch to work with and is there after the sale. Also if you think some day you would like to move on, they retain their value very well.

18. stockmaker12

stockmaker12 Active Member

The fit is way more important than what stock you shoot. If you can get the PFS fitted to you properly you will see an improvement over your standard stock quite a bit I would imagine. A custom stock is of no help unless it is properly fitted. Fitting yourself to a gunstock is near impossible unless you can video tape your shooting. Fitting properly involves a pattern plate and then shooting targets on the range. Sometimes it takes a few minutes and other times it could take days. The average time it takes me to build a pattern stock during a fitting is just over 4 hours but in some instances it will take much more trial and error. I spent 3 days on and off building and fitting a pattern stock for one Grand American Champion and about the same time with another Sporting Clays world champion that even when the stock was perfect he took almost a season of shooting to become really comfortable with it.

If your budget minded and don't care about the looks you have two options PFS or a custom fitted bondo stock built from your current stock. You can paint the bondo stock and they don't look that bad. A beretta precision PFS stock costs $1295 and is a good value for what it is. If I or another Fitter were to fit you; you could expect about $ 400 extra. I and several other fitters will build a bondo stock for about 500 using your origional stock if you want a totally new fitted bondo pattern stock plan on around $1000 and additional if you want custom paint. The same is true for the PSF if you want custom colors for your stock your going to pay extra. The real advantage to the custom pattern stock is you can shoot it and if you want a fancy wood stock you can have one made. You can't use a precision fit stock as a pattern for a wood stock it just won't work on any of the duplicators i have worked with.

19. yetinme

yetinme TS Member

On the team I coach we have 3 PFS and they work great but do take time to get fit.

20. Trap Doc

Trap Doc TS Member

Purchased my first PFS stock about a dozen years ago and it is all I will shoot. With each new gun comes a new PFS, although there have only been a couple. The key is to have it fit by someone knowledgeable, and shoot it. Many times, those who don't like the stocks complain that they kept changing it. This is one of the big caveats; have the stock fit to you and shoot it for a while. Consider adjusting only after at least several hundred rounds. You will need time to get used to the gun fit.

Have called Vern a few times for assistance, and he is always very helpful and informative, and responds very quickly.

The advantage of the PFS over custom is that when you lose weight (or gain weight), the PFS can be changed as you change. Custom stocks may be prettier, I prefer function over form.

Best Regards,

Jerry

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    berettagold53911 thanked this.