1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PFS Stock?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by goosecall, May 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

I have my PFS on Citori, went to the pattern board 13yds, and it shot 2 in. high shooting freehand, and with the same sight picture, shot of on a bench rest and same sight picture and shot dead on. Shot a couple of rounds and missed to many, and the ones I hit were on top of the bird. I lowered the comb set crews two rotation, which equals 1/16 in. and will give that try. I can not go to much lower or the mid bead will start to cover the front bead. To minimize barrel rise, could it be a pitch problem? 10Tenner

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

You have raised several independent questions. First, if your POI is 0 at 13 yards. you have the gun set to shoot lower than most of us like.

Next, you believed that you were breaking the top part of the birds and concluded that you were shooting the gun too high. This could be a premature conclusion. It is possible that the main pattern was going under the birds and you were hitting the birds with the upper fringe of the pattern. The shot in the pattern fringe is dispersed and could hit any part of the bird. Some very good shooters can stand behind you and see the relation of the shot cloud to the bird. Leo H. can do this 95% of the time. I can do it 35% of the time. Get some help from a good shooter.

I have some suspicion that the problem is not where the gun shoots but where you are shooting the gun. When setting a PFS on the line, it is very difficult to keep your self from aiming at the bird with your front sight, but aiming at the bird will guarantee some misses.

I suggest you go to the club when you can have a field by yourself. Set the trap to only throw straight away birds from post three. Shoot five birds aggressively and only look at the bird. Do not look at your front sight. Cover your sight with a black marker if necessary. Then raise your comb 4 turns and do it again. Keep doing this until you begin to his the birds well, but don't stop there. Keep raising the comp until you begin to miss again and you know you are too high. Then back down the comb. All of this can get time consuming and frustrating unless you convince your self that fitting the stock is fun.

It is a challenge to figure out if the misses are due to gun fit or your shooting.

Also, try to find a copy of Rollin's book. It is no longer available but a lot of copies are around.

Pat Ireland

3. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Pat Ireland thanks for the input. I shot two boxes at the pattern boards, both bottom and top barrels, different chokes, and all the same results, when shooting free hand the pattern was 2 in. high, and when of the rest is was dead on. I had someone stand behind me last night and he said I was going over top and hitting the top of the birds.
    I do have the front sight blackened out, and I do have Rollin's book, but it is a older version. That was my next step, to have the trap set on straight aways on the 16 yd line, and I will use your advice on setup. 10Tenner

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Bench shooting and free hand you will have a different out come most of the time. Is your comb parallel with your rib? Also what I found is when bench shooting you tend to hunch over and lean more forward. I learned with my PFS, match it to your oem stock specs best you can. adjust it from there. Keep track. Did you use one eye for bench and then 2 eye for free hand? Also for me I have learned to forget about the beads. The way my PFS is set up the beads no longer line up front to back left or right. My XT shot to low for me even with the factory comb at its highest. Also with the PFS I was able to put a little "built in lead" on left hand targets. If you where to mount my gun put the "front bead" on the center X of a large target. The shot charge will go left and high. When I pull the trigger it appears to me to be about 9" between the barrel end and the clay.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

PS I found that my POI changed quite a bit when I raised/lowered drop at heel. I have found for me that the pad lowered for maximum drop at heel. I have XT also, shoot LH. Pat make a great point you need to really take your time with the PFS. Also learn the upper and lower limits. Keep a log, it will keep you from repeating and also have a record of what works. I am now playing with the recoil unit. I backed of until it was to soft now im going back.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

10Tenner- Another thing to consider is to try and shoot over the top of some targets. I have seen several shooters who thought they were shooting too high but when they tried to intentionally shoot over targets, they made a lot of smoke.

Use due caution when trying to tell if you are shooting high or low by the way large pieces of a broken target fly (up or down). This can be deceiving.

Good luck and don't get frustrated. Your PFS is a good investment and it is always a little disheartening to buy a new item that does not work immediately.

Pat Ireland

7. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Took a straight edge ruler, long one and the comb was not parallel, 1/4 low at the back end, made a few small adjustment, and all lines up. I have done as you said Mike fits me better than my old stock. Major reason was for getting the PFS stock, my old stock with a Grecoil was smacking me in the cheek bone when firring the top barrel and causing neck pain, and resulted in lifting head and made matters worse, flinching on the second shot of doubles. I shot one box of close to 3 1/4 dram 1 oz load and no problems with recoil, and at a stiff tension setting at the pattern board. Mike does the position of the drop of heel affect the muzzle jump upon recoil? Vern has said if all fits right there would be less muzzle rise. Post three it is, and adjust the comb height , and tension for doubles. I let four other shooters at club shoot it and they were impressed with the recoil reduction. 10Tenner

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

BigBore, I seem to be haveing a bit of a problem on my XT with PFS. I got it set up great crushing targets, comfortable recoil setting with minimum movement, but the top barrel I get a noticeable muzzle flip? I have the thickest pitch spacer installed. Got any tips?

9. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

"Vern, I though furnishes them.. " I did not get pitch spacers with my stock, am I supposed to? I was thinking that I may have to add some pitch. 10Tenner

10. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

10tenner,

Contact me. I believe I have some spares.

Matt - Woodson Enterprises

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

PBB, I think you hit on something there, I have the recoil pad in its lowest position, ie for maximum drop at heel. With a high comb. I Really like this set up. gives me a nice erect head and less strain on my neck. I may try the upper positions when I shoot doubles at the states this weekend.....or maybe I will just leave it be, play with it after the states.

12. moldmaker

moldmaker TS Member

I just received my first pfs stock (new from PFS) yesterday. No shims where in my package so I assume they are an add on from either Vern or some other supplier.

13. A201

A201 TS Member

Typicly the PFS will weigh slightly more than the wood stock it replaces which gives the gun a lighter muzzle feel. If on the pattern board it's going where you want it, try taking the balance weight off, no tools required. that will in effect give back some muzzle smoothness (weight), takes less time to do than to say, I use mine for doubles, didn't really improve scores untill weight was removed, went from mid 80s to low 90s last year. Roger

14. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Moldmaker - there should have been several butt stock spacers including two pitch shims. if they weren't in the kit then contact Vern - he'll set it right.

15. moldmaker

moldmaker TS Member

Spoke to Vern this morning. He can no longer can get the pitch shims therefore none is provided. They were being supplied by Kick eze but no longer. Hopefully I want need them.

16. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Well that is disappointing - talk about a takeaway.

You can get the pitch spacers if you click on the link above. I'm sure a bunch of others carry them too.

17. Mike W

Mike W Member

On my two PFS stocks I replaced the recoil pads with Trapdude pads. The are of the rocker style and they will reduce the muzzle rise as well as reduce the recoil you feel even further. Give them a try you will be pleased.

Mike W

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.