1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PFS Secrets......

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Hauxfan, Mar 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I don't have any secrets, but since I just purchased a PFS stock, I was wondering if there are any secrets to setting it up and getting the best use out of it.

This includes pros and cons, so feel free to chime in if you have any thing to say about the PFS stock.

Thanks one and all!

Hauxfan!

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hauxfan - I hope you enjoy your stock as much as I enjoy mine. There are no secrets to setting it up with the exception of not adjusting the recoil so soft that the plug cones out and the washers spring out.

A great advantage of the Precision Fit Stock is that everything can be adjusted to get the stock to preform exactly right for you. The great disadvantage of the PFS is that everything can be adjusted and get so far out of whack, you have to begin over.

Pat Ireland

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

You will love it Hauxfan. I would probably be into a release trigger now if it were not for the PFS. And as things change over time or the different seasons they are easily adjusted, length, comb,or whatever else you may want. Good luck and enjoy. Bob

4. ccridr

ccridr Member

Hauxfan
    The secret to the PFS is to read the instruction book, read it a second time, and then you are ready to dial it in, refering back to the book now and then. The stocks are great. I have two on trap guns and one on a Citori 3 1/2 inch chambered 12 ga. I use to goose hunt.
    Colby aka ccridr

5. Hauxfan

Thanks Guys, I'm going to give it a whirl.

One thing I noticed already.

I don't like it when it is set for to soft of a recoil, because it then comes back and hits my finger behind the trigger guard. I don't care for that.

So I have it set up to not recoil as much, but I like it that way.

Hauxfan!

6. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Who can make a left handed grip with a large palm swell fitted to a 90-T with a HPR that could receive a PFS ??????

7. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

N.J.Bob,

"Stocker John" Fitenger, Portland, OR. (503-668-1938) made two outstanding wood grips for my PFS units. No one else in the country would attempt the task for the DT 10. He is a geat guy and I recommend him highly.

JON

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

N.J. BOB,

You might want to give Pat McCarthy a call. He made wood grips and cheek pieces for the PFS for years. I'm sorry that I don't have his #. I believe that there will be someone that knows it.

ec90t

9. 1881home

1881home TS Member

Sure wish someone made a grip piece for the 3200 also. Its a great doubles gun and would be terrific with a PFS.

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Haux,

Be patient, take it to the patterning board and bring lots of shells with you ... Set up the POI and then go and break some clay ... Each adjustment on them is a subjective adjustment, what works for me may not work for you and so on ... "Enjoy" ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Do yourself one service. After you get it set to shoot where you desire, leave the adjustments alone & shoot it for a bit. I have watched people make adjustments after every three or four shots and end up so screwed up they have to go back to square one. Get it right & you'll really enjoy shooting with it.

Big Jack

12. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

chiefton & ec90T

Thanks for the info.

Bob

13. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

make sure to take measurements fromt he original stock as per the manual. then put the pfs on and reset to the same dimensions that you originally had. motordoc

14. Hauxfan

Thanks for all the great tips.

Hauxfan!

15. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

Just in case you want to get it painted check out the URL site above. He's painted both of mine and has done many since jumping into this project. He's actually an airbrush artist.

Augie

16. zinger

zinger Member

Hauxfan, after you get the recoil tension set where you like it, make sure you install the locking screw ontop of the tension screw. This will assure that your stock won't do what Pat mentioned. If you have any questions or need any advice, please feel free to email me at zinger@zbzoom.net Kim Bateman

17. Hauxfan

Thanks, Augie. That paint job looks real nice.

Zinger, I've already put that locking nut in.

The only thing I had against this stock, was setting the length. It really needed someone to take a set of chaser and redo the threads, or a tap and redo the inside threads. The only way I could adjust it was to use a pair of pliers, as it was impossible to move with your fingers.

The pliers left a mark, but no biggie, since it's bought and paid for. I just thought the threads could have been done a lot better. Especially since I'm an old retired machinist.

Hauxfan!

18. Hauxfan

Sure did, BigBore.........I had it real loose.

I've got it set now, so it should be okay.

I used to run Acme-Gridley automatic screw machines. They would tell us that they were all the same. Well, I'm here to tell you that identical machines will run differently.

Good to hear that the 5 PFS Stocks you got were perfect. Mine wasn't. What can I say?

Hauxfan!

19. zinger

zinger Member

Hauxfan, to change the LOP, you first loosen the clamp block around the bottom tube. I like to work on carpet so I stand the gun on it's barrel, press down on the buttpad to take the tension off the threads and then turn the tube. I've never had to use pliers to grip the tube and highly recommend against doing it. If your unit is brand new from Vern, you should've given him a call if you were having troubles. When Vern builds the stocks, he has to thread it together so if it wasn't machined properly, he'd have noticed it right away. Try taking the tension off next time and see if it's not easier.

20. Hauxfan

Zinger, I can and do read directions and I also follow directions, and that is exactly how I did it.

I have it set now and I am satisfied with it.

Perhaps when and if I run into Vern we will talk about it, but right now, I'm going to shoot it.

It isn't as if I couldn't adjust it.

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.