1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PFS or Soft Touch

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joneseboy, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joneseboy

joneseboy Member

I've been looking at getting a soft touch for my Kolar but what about the PFS? They seem to work but I don't like the way they look. I do know I shouldn't worry about the way it look if it really helps my shooting scores. I guess I am a traditionalist. Need some advice from people who used either.
    Thanks Joneseboy

2. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Love my PFS, but beautiful it will never be!

3. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

chiefjon_2008_03031.jpg

I like my PFS. Also have Soft touch, But PFS is the best IMHO>

JON

4. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

A wood grip and cheek piece really help the appearance of the PFS. A Bump Buster from Ruck is good if you lean toward the traditional look. Ron

Note: I hadn't seen chiefjon's posting when I wrote this.

5. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

Who gives a flip what it looks like when it fits you like a custom glove and the recoil is so mild??????? PFS are unmatched and I've tried them all. Try one. If you don't like it they sell quickly.

6. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Looks has absolutely nothing to do with performance and comfort. If looking good is more important than scoring well, then you've answered your own question. If you want comfort and fit wich equates to improved scores, then buy a PFS with the understanding it will take some effort on your part to get it dialed in.

Surfer

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

#6 for the PFS. Frankly, for both adjustably and recoil. The only lesser recoiling device other than the PFS that I've ever experienced, is the Shockmaster G-squared. But, it doesn't have the adjustably.

8. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I'v thought about them all---I can't think of one person at my two clubs that are happy with the PFS---I also don't see many bigdogs using them but I'm sure after this post I will see some bigdogs using them---Those at my clubs that tried them are always adjusting---I go for a nice looking stock that fits so I'm in the process of a nice figured walnut fitted stock---Let's call it
    ANWFS---A nice walnut fitted stock----That works---George@SJB

9. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

A well made custom stock far exceeds the cost of a PFS by three times or more and unless an adjustable comb is part of the package a custom stock will stop fitting you somewhere along the line, unless you're that rare person who's body never changes from the day you were fitted. All of our body's change loosing weight and muscle, gainig weight and muscle it's part of the aging process. The beauty of a PFS is it can be refitted when your body changes.

Most people who are unhappy with a PFS have not invested the neccessary time making careful adjustments to reach expected results. In many cases those people need outside assistance to gain proper fit.

Surfer

10. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

My body hasn't changed that much in 50 yrs and when it does to that degree I'll get another fitted stock---I'm still waiting to see a happy person with the PFS----They spend more time fidgeting than shooting and I don't think they're satisfied with the way they look---Someone above said that when you'r tired of it you'll be able to sell with no problem----Ask yourself---Why are they so available on the used mkt----Nothing like a NWFS--Nice walnut fitted stock-JMHO

11. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

It's times like this that I miss PerazziBigBore...Rest in Peace Mike. Respectfully-Graham.

12. bigben

bigben Active Member

I have both, soft touch is the way to go,

13. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I too have had both, The Soft Touch is heavier than the PFS. My vote for cost and fitability is the PFS. Vern Brown is top notch in service as well. JMHO Jake

14. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have had both on my Kolar and hands down the soft touch wins. I just like the way it feels on recoil. The PFS just feels clunky like a bunch of springs where the soft touch is a smooth as silk hydraulic cylinder.

15. SBray

SBray Active Member

I have used the PFS for a number of years and thought they were great. But, like anything else, you have to take the time to learn how to use it. I had trouble using the PFS with sporting clays, since double shots are more common place. I kept coming off the comb between shots.

I have shot a friends Soft Touch and really liked it. I would think that if you had a Kolar and were primarily using it for trap singles and handicap targets, a Soft Touch might be better. I have never talked to anyone that didn't like the Soft Touch.

JMHO,

Steve

16. brownk80

brownk80 Member

What are the reasons for getting either one? If your gun doesn't fit go back to Kolar and have them fit it correctly. I have several friends who shoot Kolars and every one of them is happy with the fitting they have received and how they shoot the gun. If the gun is kicking or hurting you it doesn't fit properly so have it done by someone who knows what they are doing like the people who built the gun and then learn how to shoot it properly and practice, pratice, practice.

Good Luck

17. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

PFS works for me but is is not as nice looking as the Soft Touch

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.