1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PFS-More reduction

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I just started using my pfs for 12ga (was using it for 20ga 28ga and 410 before). I have it setup to optimally reduce recoil for 20ga, but i don't think its taking enough recoil out for 12ga. I'm not quite sure if its too tight and not compressing enough, or too loose and bottoming out (i think its the former rather than the latter). What adjustment to the recoil system should I make to use, in effect, a heavier load?

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I don't have my instruction book in front of me, but, if I remember correctly, you take the butt plate off, remove the cover screw/nut and loosen the washer compression nut a turn or two. You have to put the butt plate back on to really test the reduced tension. You may have to do it a time or two.

JON

3. ccridr

ccridr Member

Skeet Man
    Increase the presure, Turn the adjustment clock wise. Remember, you have a locking screw to remove before you get to the adjusting screw.
    Colby aka ccridr

4. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

is it moving at all if you put it against your shoulder?? can you compress it??? if it is too tight as above remove the plug and back it off one or two turns and shoot it. keep backing it off till it feels funny when you shoot it. --too much jump in the gun. then tighten it 1/4 turn at a time. Make sure the plug is reinstalled. NO plug?? check first before moving the adjustment. the plug is shinny and the adjustment is blue or black or dark color. DON'T REMOVE THE ADJUSTER ALL THE WAY. make sure that the plug is in or out.easiest way is tighten the adjuster. if it does not move and the stock can be compressed the plug is in place. if you can move the adjuster the plug is missing. check the pfs website for the directions. Motordoc

5. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

Use the instructions. Loosen the spring plug carefully. Do not overloosen it. There are a bunch of bellville washers in the tube. They are stacked alternately to relieve recoil. They turn the recoil into heat. If you loosen it too much they all escape. If this happens, don't be a hero. Box it up and send it back. Any change you make allow at least 300 rnds to adjust and judge your scores.

6. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

Sorry. Used to military jargain, 300-500 shells, cartriges etc... You probably have to loosen it. When loosened all the way its quite soft. Great for singles but won't do doubles. When its too soft, your head moves too much to obtain the second target. It takes a while and all your friends will harass you. Prostetic gun etc...... Their just jealous. One more thing. Mark it. Before you adjust anything, use a sharpie and mark the comb adj. The sharpie will wipe off with alchohol when need be.

7. J.P.

J.P. TS Member

Or one could call Vern Brown; but what would he know? I`ve called him, he stops his car and calls me back on his cell. He would probably send or e-mail you an instruction book at little or no cost. Vern Owns PFS. I love mine, I have a bunch of bad discs in neck and back; along with a compressed T3 vertebrae; it soaks up the bounce so I can still shoot. In the meantime undo the plug and put a turn or so on it, like the Moto Doc said. Enjoy

8. smartass

smartass TS Member

Wouldn't it be easier and quicker to look at the manual online at Vern's website?

9. zinger

zinger Member

Ian, adjust it so there's no muzzle jump. The barrel should just come straight back. If it's adjusted too soft or too hard your going to feel it. Make sure you take the plug out before adjusting and reinstall it afterwards.

10. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

PUT THE MUZZLE ON A BATHROOM SCALE. PUSH ON THE BUTT PAD. WHEN THE PFS IS ADJUSTED TO A 35 LBS LOAD ON THE SCALE YOU HAVE A GOOD STARTING PLACE FOR A BASE TO WORK FROM. ALSO WITH THIS WAY OF MEASURING YOU CAN TELL IF ANYTHING HAS CHANGED IN YOUR PFS..................SMOKIT

11. zinger

zinger Member

I think you should lay off the pipe SMOKIT?..lol

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The adjustments on the PFS are totally subjective and you need to find your sweet spot ... If you adjust it like "zinger" says thats a good starting point ... Personally, I set mine a little tighter than a lot of others like it but it works like a charm in eliminating the recoil that I feel ... I can pull back and set the gun in the pocket of my shoulder and it does not collapse unless I pull really hard and try to make it move ... The recoil it eliminates is because it does not bottom out against my shoulder when setting up or upon shooting the gun its on no matter what shells I use ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

That gizmo is nothing but a weight, they normally come with 2 of them, or you can leave them off. All you do is loosen the spring tension some, thats it!

14. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

Click on the URL above to get to the manual. The adjustment for recoil is on page 9.

Augie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.