1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PFS info & value?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Steve W, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I don't have any experiences with PFS, shot a few from friend's guns, seems they worked very well.

I heard they have different generations?

Question 1) How to tell the old model from the new?

2) What's the advantage of the newer models?

3) Can a PFS from the Perazzi TM series be used on MX-8 just by changing the grip?

4) How much a used MX-8 PFS grip cost?

5) How much a good condition used PFS worth?

Thank you for your advise.

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Hi Steve.. The older PFS has a larger top tube..which I think made it more rigid.. The older ones tend to work smoother.. The older ones had LESS offset than the new model.. (If you need alot of off set.. buy a NEW one)..

All PFS are mounted the same.. all you need to change is the grip..

A used grip can be had between $125/$160 Give Vern a call.. He has trade ins now and then..

Some models have had an evolution of grips.. Some will fit your hand.. and or style better than others.

The grips are easily modified with a steel rasp.. a dremel tool with a drum sander.. a 2 part epoxt putty..

E-mail me direct if I can be of any help.. All Good.. Mike

3. hmrgun

hmrgun Member

Hello Steve W,

1. The new style has a smaller upper rod to allow for more offset. Very important if you need a lot of offset. The older model seems to be a bit more rigid which is good if you can use a straighter stock.

3. The units are interchangeable, you just need to have the correct grip for your gun.

4. I recently paid $800 for a nearly new unit that is the new style with manual and all of the accesories. It was the MX style and I nearly have it dialed in. They are like a try stock, you can try more or less toe out, cast off or on, drop at heel etc.

Cliff, Your MX16 is still runnig good!

4. Steve W

Thank you Mike, and Cliff for your detailed information. Appreciated. And glad to hear that beautiful MX-16 is doing well.

What should I look for when buying a used PFS? Anything in particular I should watch out for?

5. hmrgun

hmrgun Member

Steve W,

I would look for a unit that looks like it has been well cared for, just like buying a shotgun. Watch to see that the hex head screws haven't been over tightened or abused, and that the manual, wrench, and box of spacers,screws, and allen wrenches are all there. The manual gives step by step directions for setting up the stock to fit you and to keep it from changing once you have it set. (Lock the lop, lock recoil adjustment, etc.) Also check to see if the unit is loose. Hold the grip at one end and the recoil pad in the other hand and twist, it should be pretty firm. If it is loose it may need to go back to Vern for a rebuild. Good luck,

Cliff

6. Steve W

Cliff, thank you again for your advise.

I checked the subject PFS, it's tight and firm. All screws are fine. Have some extra screws, bolts, and parts I have no idea what they are.

The adj. recoil pad plate is mounted with custom drilled base plate for kind of extreme off set & low. I'll have to drill new holes on the plate to make it back to center & neutral.

And no manual.

I guess I'll try to find a manual for it.

7. Steve W

Thank you Mike. Look like you have a few PFS first hand experiences.

Based on your photo, seems mine has an add on adj. plate for the recoil pad. There's a plate add to the end of the original plate with custom holes for adjustments of the pad, I'll take the additional plate off since I shoot straight and standard factory stocks.

i don't have enough experience to tell the difference between the new & old generations, seems it doesn't matter much to me because I don't need a lot of cast or off set on the comb either. I'll probably set it all straight and try it out.

This will be a brand new experience for me to use a recoil devise. I'll take your advise and read the manual 5 times before I start to mess with it.

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Steve.. You'll be doing the right thing.. using the original butt plate parts and adjustments.. That's all you'll need.. You might need the wedges to get the pitch right for you.. Vern has them.. or Brownell's.. If you don't require alot of offset.. I use VDT's wooden comb.. It's fully adjustable.. but be sure to get one that feels good on your cheek.. If you can meet him at a shoot.. and try a few.. it's money well spent.. Again.. if I can help you in any way.. drop me a E-mail.. To me.. and many others.. the PFS is a shooters best friend..

9. Steve W

Mike, I just downloaded the manual and drawing of the PFS. Noticed it's not really complicated once you FOLLOW the instructions. Something better read it 5 times to be sure. You're right on.

Thank you again.

10. hmrgun

hmrgun Member

Steve W,
    Mike is right about possibly needing a pitch wedge. Maybe you can see the pitch spacer on the K80, It took the cheek slap right out. On the MX stock I didn't need to change the pitch at all. The grip on the K80 was slick and I couldn't get the same mount every time so I made a palm swell and grip with 2 part epoxy (Knead a Tite off of ebay). I also used a dremel to grind the end of the finger grooves. It will look better if I ever get around to painting it. The MX stock has a palm swell and a better grip so I am going to leave it as is. Don't be afraid to drop the pad and get a higher head position, you can easily put it back. I use a lot of toe out to keep the gun from canting as I swing. Have fun with all of the adjustments!

Cliff

[​IMG]

11. Steve W

Cliff, the top PFS show a rod from the back plate between the two shafts, is that a weight?

12. hmrgun

hmrgun Member

Steve W,

Yeah, it is a removable weight. I tried the gun with and without the weight and I like it best with no weight on my Perazzi.

Cliff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.