1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PFS - I get a sore thumb??? Help Please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by citadel, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citadel

citadel Active Member

I really like shooting with my PFS on my Kolar but I find that after I shoot about 100 rounds I have injured the lower joint on my right hand thumb. The joint gets very painful and swollen as though the joint is absorbing significant recoil. This does not happen when inshoot with a heavy wood stock, only with a PFS.

Does anyone have reason they can think of why this happens. I have tried changing the position of my hand on the grip. I had the same problem shooting a PFS on a Perazzi MX2000.

The PFS is super for absorbing recoil but a very sore thumb takes away all the fun? Any ideas.
    Doug

2. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Call Vern for help which he gives gladly. Me, I think you're pushing against the rearward which you may have to much of. I think Vern can give you the answer you're looking for.

Surfer

3. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

My guess is that you have your recoil unit set too loose. Mine is set about three full turns from full tight......gives about 3/8" movement & handles recoil very well.

As was suggested, call Vern, He will start you in the right direction.

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

what hunter said...

5. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Way to loose will cause a shock to your grip hand. Tighten it up and you will be fine.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Get your thumb out of the way.

7. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I had a similar problem. The safety would hit my thumb.

Along with Barry's suggestion of getting the thumb out of the way, I also began gripping the stock a little tighter. So my hand rode back with the recoiling grip rather than being hit by it. I did try to tighten the recoil up to the point below I noticing the recoil. But my thumb still was getting hit. If I tighten the recoil up more it defeated the recoil reducing feature of the PFS.

With a solid stock and coming from a bird hunting back ground, I developed the habit of having my thumb next to the safety and got away with a rather loose grip.

Jason

8. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Yes tighten it up. I only have 1/4" of movement. It more then enought to make it a soft shooter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.