1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

pfs help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tracyhunter, Nov 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

i put a pfs on my k32 and my trap scores have gone from 85 to 66.i dont need a book as i have the book that came with it and oswald's book. i need someone to help me get this thing set up so i can hit with it.i will travel to eastern iowa western indiana,n.mo,so,wi and anywhere in il to get help.i dont need advise i need hands on help.i'm old,bad sholders,sore cheek and just shot the worst score im my life . need someones help.

2. zinger

zinger Member

Tracy, please give Vern Brown a call @ 719-250-7727 and ask him if there is anyone in your area that can help fit the gun to you. When you put the PFS on your K32, did you take measurements prior to removing the wood? I'm sorry you aren't closer to us as we'd be more than happy to work with you to get you shooting better. Don't give up on the stock until after you've had it properly fitted by someone who knows what they are doing. Kim Bateman

3. otnot

otnot Active Member

I agree with the above advise but I would go one step further and pattern from 13 yards your old stock and then once you have your PFS set to the same dimensions as your old stock pattern it as well from the same yardage. Make sure you shoot at least 10 shots for each test and use a bench rest.

4. todman2

todman2 Member

Tracy
    Before you throw your hands up and give up on the PFS here are a few things to know that took me a few weeks to find out. I'm mainly a skeet and sporting clays shooter.

I shot the PFS for 2 months in practice before I used it in competition. My scores drop in practice due to getting use to the stock. The previous post are correct about measurement of existing stock then its very important to check the pattern board. Once that is done and everything is the way you want you need to set the adjustment for recoil. Once you find an acceptable recoil level lock it in. Where a lot of the shooting problems develop is with the recoil movement. IT DOES TAKE TIME TO GET USE TO THE GUN MOVEMENT. That movement does not feel normal and we tend to raise our heads a little.

Another problem most shooters don't pick up on is termed "pre-loading" As we get more excited or try to get into the gun tighter, we pull the gun into our shoulder and face. This loads the recoil mech. and as you swing the gun and relax the the stock pushes out which raises your head and shifts a little on your shoulder which will cause you to miss. You won't notice this when you are doing it because its not a sudden movement it just enough to put you off the target.Just relax and think easy touch, easy hold.

Last thing I can recommend is once you get your settings and the stock the way you want it lock down the adjustment and don't re-adjust unless you lose 30lbs of weight. The next biggest problem with these stocks is we think we're one adjustment away from the perfect setup and we keep adjusting until we can't shoot the stock or lose all confidence in it. That is why most people give up on them. I watched a shooter have some of his highest scores with a PFS but after adjusting and re-adjusting he started shooting it so poorly he sold it to me as a backup for half of what he paid for it.

If you not sure of your stock setup get with a stock fitter like Todd Nelson of the Country Gentleman he helped set mine up and I haven't had a second thought about using a PFS since I got it dialed in.

They are a great invention and will let you shoot all day with no discomfort or fatigue.

Restart from square one and just practice with it, it will all come together in time.

Good Luck
    Todman2

5. todman2

todman2 Member

Tracy
    not trying to highjack your post but got 2 questions by email about comb setting and stock fit mainly to the face these may also be helpful to you.

Is it the old PFS Model or the Newer Model I think there has been 3 updates you can tell this way

1st generation the top slide which the cheek mount sits on is dead center of the bracket that mounts into the grip

2nd generation the mount is offset to one side (left side of the bracket if a lefty or right for a righty) of the bracket that mounts into the grip

3rd Generation the mount has holes drilled both left and right side of the bracket that mounts into the grip

If you have a first generation your only option maybe the Ultimate Comb which is a comb with no side cheek piece. This lets you get a lot of offset and acts like a higher comb like you would find on a Monte Carlo Stock.

If you have generation 2 or 3 you may have to look at getting another cheek piece (Victor Tomlinson, email mx3cvt@skylinc.net) make a nice wood one I have 2 of them they Allow more offset have a higher fit on the bracket and feel more like a wood stock. Plus, the cheek piece drops down farther so it allows a nice roll which is against the entire side of your face.
    He always has a nice selection of wood and its gives your gun a nice look.

Check your PFS to see what generation you have. Then make sure the top slide is mounted to the far right if you are right handed or far left if left handed. Because the PFS stock cheek piece is very flat and 90 degrees you Can try some mole skin or glue on foam stock pads to build out the or up the cheek piece (won't look pretty but if you shoot well everyone will do the same to their's thinking you figured something new out).

I'm a bigger guy so the palm swell is right for me but several shooter I know sanded down the grip to get rid of it, just paint the grip with a good primer and epoxy black paint or a color you like.

Also to help with the grip 3m makes a tape that is used as stair tread grip, it’s a real nice texture and rubber with its own adhesive. It gives you a little more grip on the PFS Grip on the hot days When your hands sweat and you will experience slipping when you shoot.

I don't know if you have a manual but the PFS web site is http://precisionfitstocks.com/ and the manual will down load in the Adobe (pfd) format.

Good Luck
    Todman2

6. Frank E.

Frank E. Member

Kim,
    Where are you located. Might be I could use some help with a PFS.
    Frank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.