1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PFS for Browning XT?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starshot2b, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Is there a PFS stock available for Browning XT's? I love my stock, hate hassling with the Browning comb hardware. I'm researching PFS stocks more for adjusting purposes rather than recoil purposes. I'm still in the "tweaking" stage and every time I have to make an adjustment to my comb, I cringe. The entire hardware setup is just a hassle to mess with.

So, if they are out there, what's an approximate cost for a used one and do they come in a left-handed version? Thanks for any information/help.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

YES THEY DO, I got one for the same reason, needed a lefty stock. I believe they are running about 1300.00 new. got mine used LH for 1000.00 Love it!!!!
    Best bet and can got from gun to gun with just a grip change!

3. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Good to know. Now, where does one look for these things? Are they interchangeable with any gun or made specific to a brand? I've never had a left- handed stock, not sure I'd know what to do with it! I'm guessing that there aren't many LH XT stocks around...where do I start?

Thanks for the help.

4. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

The grip is the only thing specific to the gun - all the mechanism behind the grip (the PFS part) is completely interchangeable (swappable) from one gun to the next).

The stock can be set up for left or right hand no problem.

Just get the left handed grip and you're ready to go.

Seems like there was one for sale for an XT here not too long ago.

5. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

my bad - try this link

6. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

so you could buy any used one off here and just get grip but make sure its a new style bob schultz told me the old wont switch from left to right

7. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

The grips are either left or right handed. The early PFS units were primarily right hand, the new generation can be set up left or right. Either way the grips are gun spefic and the unit itself will fit any grip, Jake

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

how about this?

9. 89badger

89badger TS Member

I just purchased a new LH PFS for a Browning XT one week ago. The reason I purchased it was for infinite adjustability. The price is high, but how much are you willing to spend for a gun that shoots where you look? I think others have answered your questions, but feel free to e-mail (drop the X's) me if you have any other questions?

10. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Thanks all for the great information. Now at least, I know how to start looking.

One last question, if I understand the above comments, I can buy any PFS and then get the grip for the XT. Is that correct? Seems there are plenty of PFS stocks out there, not many for the XT that I've found and they are rather pricey brand new.

I'm rather hesitant about getting a left-handed setup though since I've never had one, I'm worried about how the grip will feel. I'm so used to using right handed everythings. As stupid as this sounds, do you think it will be an easy transition?

Like I initially said, I'm looking into it for the adjustability features -- holy smokes, this thing adjusts every which way but Sunday! That too me, is worth its price right there.

Thanks again.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

If you buy a new PFS (they are great) why not support one of the businesses that support this site. Target Shotguns is a fine place to do business with. Bob S. has often been mentioned with high praise on this site. Just wait for the Target Shotguns banner to appear on the upper right corner.

Pat Ireland

12. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Two ways to go.......

Buy new (and I like Pat's suggestion here).

Buy used - post a thread and see if anybody has a used PFS for sale. You can buy the grip separately if you need to. call vern brown at PFS and discuss with him, see if he has one in stock first.

If you haven't shot one before you really need to do that before you buy. the PFS is an excellent tool but not everybody loves them equally. this past weekend we let a young man shoot the one on my son's gun and after the first shot he looked back in surprise and said - i didn't expect it to move. on his next shot he broke the target (bunker) and remarked about the lack of recoil. on his 3rd shot he absolutely crushed the target right out of the house, a really impressive shot. this is a teenager that has shot a LOT of rounds out of a beretta and is not suffering the effects of recoil - yet. he will, just not yet.

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

The LH grip for the PFS is pretty close to the XT wood grip. It has a vey slight palm swell. I plan to modify mine. It will take some time to get use to. If you can try one first do so. I like mine, but finding it a bit okward on doubles. The more I shout though the less I am distracted by the movement. Even at the current cost it is much less exspensive than a full custom wood stock.

14. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I shot an MX8 with a right-handed PFS setup in an emergency. Once I figured out that I couldn't grip it tightly on my shoulder (it took a couple of posts for me to figure that out), I just crushed the targets. I'm not a fan of palm swells, at least my XT (right-handed though it is), has a slight one that doesn't bother me.

Again, thank you to all of you for your input. Mr. Ireland, I will keep your idea at the top of the list; it's a good one.

15. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

if you decide you need a palm swell on your PFS it can be added to it no problem - magic putty (or kneadatite) is all you need. well, that and a can of spray paint. its about a one hour job is all and let it sit overnight to cure real hard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.