1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PFS fitting question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by J.Woolsey, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Just got a PFS stock for my 687 Beretta. I shot a Handicap event Sat. and I was having to cover the bird to connect. I have always floated the bird, so I had a time remembering to cover the target. I shot a poor score, afterward I adjusted the comb up to get a higher POI. I then shot a singles event and was powdering them, but for 4 that I tried to cover as in the caps. I was hitting where I was looking, but I was taking a pounding to the bottom of my cheekbone. I was shooting 1-0z loads at about 1260fps. My heavy caps loads before the rise of the comb didn't jar me this way. I didn't change the cast of the comb, Any suggestions? Thanks J.Woolsey

2. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

The pitch on the stock is correct for YOU when the entire pad, top to bottom makes simultaneous contact with your shoulder pocket with the top of the pad extending an inch or less above your collarbone.

Rollin

3. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

PBB nailed it. I suspect the same thing. It is easy to incorrectly adjust the comb and take it out of parralel. Put a straight edge on the rib and measure down to your comb front and rear to ensure it is parralel. if it is, then use washers (one at a time) in the butt pad to alter the pitch - keep adding until the cheek slap is gone.

4. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

I had the same issue two weeks ago and received great advice from Mr. Oswald. I changed the pitch and reduced the recoil with the PFS and the problem went away.Even on doubles--no more issues.I do however have the comb set to be down a bit towards the muzzle and higher @ the rear.I also think that I developed some muzzle jump as well as inadvertently slightly moving the gun away from my face.The recoil adjustment helped here as well.Good luck. Dennis

5. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

I've put the comb absolutely parallel. Took two turns off recoil adj(it was stiff), I adjusted the pad to be in the pocket as Rollin suggested. I don't have any pitch wedges at this time. I do not want to make too many changes without shooting it to see if I have solved the problem. I will do that Thursday. Thanks to all. J.Woolsey

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Parallel is not with the rib! Parallel should be with the line of the bore.

I'm done with the free advise go get your gun fit by a professional.

Besides myself I can recommend Todd Nelson and Dennis DeVault.

Geter done right!

Joe

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You can get pitch wedges from Vern Brown and they fit the stock like they were made for it, come to think about it, they are ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

You are out to lunch gun fitter.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Gun Fitter,

Sounds like you need a good PR (public relations) man or woman ... I would start my own web site and charge to get on it so they can get all of your secrets after paying for same ... Post it on here so we can all run over and get in line to sign up ... ZZT said it best ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Joe is a good guy, he had a personal lose--I don't know of many people who could even function, after losing the closet person in your life

Lou

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.