1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pex plumbing

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bocephas, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Dave,the ones I have seen here are chinch.I am going to have my whole cabin done this spring.One thing to remember,if exposed to freezing temps.the fittings will sometimes fail.I would think in your basement you would have no worry of freezing.

Bo

2. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Use copper, copper.

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

your problem is that when you connect to the other existing lines it is sometimes a problem. also watch the clamps that you support with. Not too tight

4. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I have used pex for the last 5 to 6 years.....it is great, I have yet to have a connection leak, if it does....cut it out and put a new piece in.

tony

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I've also used PEX for many years, it's easier than copper most of the time, I use the clamp type.

But the price of copper has dropped like a rock, scrap was selling for $4 per lb last summer, I've got about 10,000 lds I was going to scrap when it cooled off, I guess I need to scrap it now and wait for it to go back up!!!!

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

If you're looking for the best, go with Wirsbo, owned by Uponor. It is far superior to any other Pex type product on the market....Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I agree with Dan above. I used it for a kitchen remodel and room addition we did last year. I did all the plumbing myself and used pex. GREAT stuff and I saved a bundle doing my own work. Wirsbo is the one I used and not even a hint of a leak.
    Bob Schultz

8. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

My house in Fl was plumbed with Pex over 8 years ago with the crimp on (swagged) rings. We had one leak right after installation and another leak a couple of years ago. Changing fixtures is a snap because of the Vanguard manifold. You only need to turn off the fixture that needs work or is leaking. Everything else in the house still works.

I'll use it over copper in a new install any day.

9. mobear

mobear Member

With pex plumbing you have to watch what type of clinch connecter you use, thear are the solid ring type that is that is crimped down in the pipe and the particular fitting you are using, these tend to leak as they are a real pain to install properly, the other clinch type is a metal ring, that you use a special tool for that fits over the nub on the ring and when you ratchet down on it it provides even pressure around the fitting and has a self locking feature that does not allow it to open back up.

For connecting pex to copper go with there compression fittings, but dont follow the advice of just tighting it untill you hear it squeek, if you do this it will slip back off the pipe from water pressure within a week. tighten the compression nuts as tight as you can get them and you will have no problem.

I had to be certified in pex plumbing when I was still doing apartment maintenance, it is a great product, but like anything if you dont know what you are doing you can really cause yourself some problems.

Dan

10. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

I have a Unibuilt modular home from Vandalia. It uses PEX plumbing and when I finished up the water connections I used PEX also. A great product to work with. The factory plumbing used the clinch type that mobear mentioned. I used the crimp type, that is the copper rings you swage with the hundred dollar tool that looks like a boltcutter, sort of. I had no leaks at all. Lots of transition type of fittings available. The only soldering I had to do was for the lines going into and out of the expansion tank. I could have used straight PEX but I wanted a foot or so of copper in order to hang the tank from a joist. I sold the hundred dollar crimping tool to friend of mine that does remodeling with the understanding that I can borrow it back if I have a need for it. I tried to buy all my supplies from a local Menards as they had the best selection. There are solder type transition pieces. A huge benefit to this type of piping is that you can do turns without using fittings if you buy the product that comes in coils. There are suppliers that sell a stiff type but it works great for straight runs. I bought two 18" copper risers to do the hook up to the hot water heater, barbed on one end for the PEX and included nuts for the connect to the tank itself. Great product. Oh, watch out when opening/releasing the crimping tool if you are working close to a wall. They snap open much like a visegrip pliers do. I don't think any nun with a ruler could crack you fingers that hard! OUCH!

11. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

All new construction for Apartment Complexes in the southeast is now PEX. Doing the Builders Risk inspections is also very easy, red for hot and blue for cold follow it from the manifolds all the way out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.