1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Petroff, 74, Ohio singles champ again (Article)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Jul 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

MARENGO, Ohio -- Four years ago, a 70-year-old Oregon man fired a shot heard 'round the competitive trapshooting world when he defeated all comers, of all ages, to win the prestigious Ohio State Trapshooting Championships here.

By posting a perfect score, then outlasting his competitors in a high-pressure shoot-off for the singles title, he became the oldest champion in the long history of the event.

Then this year, he did it again.

In late June, retired Oregon Municipal Court Judge Donald Petroff, now age 74, posted another perfect score in the competition rounds, hitting all 200 targets. He then prevailed in the shoot-off for the singles championship, which stretched late into the day and into the twilight hours, never missing as nine other competitors were eventually eliminated.

"When it's over, it's a relief as much as anything, because you know that with so many others shooting perfect scores, you are going to have to be perfect in the shoot-off. It was exciting to win it the first time and be the oldest guy ever to do that, and then to be able to repeat that four years later brings a sense of satisfaction," Petroff said about breaking his own record.

READ COMPLETE ARTICLE:

http://www.toledoblade.com/MattMarkey/2012/07/01/Ex-judge-rules-at-trapshooting.html

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

And he's a nice guy too.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Good story. Thanks for sharing

4. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Very nice! Congrats to the Judge!

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Fantastic job Donald and congratulations!! Kinda sorta give new meaning to the term, "here comes da judge" when he steps on the line!!!

Hap

6. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Tough Judges make tough shooters :) You're making us oldtimers look good.
    Clyde

7. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

Yep, ol' Judge Don can shoot with anyone. He proved it again at the Ohio State Shoot, breaking all 200, then some more in the shoot-off just because! I am proud to call Don a friend, not because he is a darn good shooter, but because he is a Damn Good Man!!!! Hey Judge, ya' sure gave the crew at the Ol'Folks home something to sing about..... Congrats, Matt Nicol

8. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

Congrats,Don ! I think every thing the osta president told me about you is very true!!!! I hope to see you at Fostoria the next time the wind is blowing!!! Willie and I missed you Sunday!! Again great job! Glenn Allison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.